Hey guys, I am new here and relatively new to to the guitar What do you think is the best way to get from a Am to a C? Sometimes I go straight over with ring finger but don't always get it right. Lately, I have been trying to take the ring finger off and use my pinky. I have a similar question about going from G to Am. There are no common fingerings and I can't move my fingers as a unit yet. I have tried putting down the ring and middle fingers first and then the index finger and I have also tried the opposite with putting down the index finger first. Any thoughts? Thank you!
I'm a newb too and sometimes have trouble with chord changes that don't have common fingerings or pivot points. Basically what I have learned from the beginning is to try to get all of my fingers to move in sync. I practice S-L-O-W-L-Y moving from chord to chord making sure my fingers land together in the correct positions. G to C is still a big nightmare for me for some reason, but once I get to C I can move to Am no problem. Sometimes I just sit in front of the tv just practicing changing chords (without strumming) over and over and over..... good luck and keep practicing!
Its all about anchoring and pivotting your fingers. To go from Am to C, or reverse, learn to pivot around your index finger, as it stays in the same place (first fret B string). As for G to Am, or any situations where there's no common fingering, its a matter of getting one finger down and letting muscle memory do the rest (.. practice practice practice)
If you're doing an Am, I would try to put your middle finger on the fourth string 2nd fret, ring finger on the 3rd string 2nd fret, and your index finger on the 2nd string first fret. Then when you go to 9 keep your index and middle fingers where they are and just switch the ring finger. You may have been already doing that lol but yeah just take it slow and practice and you'll progress just fine!
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
i've been playing for years and I still hit bum notes when changing from G to C, it just takes practice.

not sure you should be using your pinky to finger a C chord though, you're making life hard for yourself there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
for Am to C I do this. Index finger on the B string, Middle finger on the D string, Ring finger on the G string. when I switch I just bring the ring finger up to the 3rd fret of the A string. I hope that helps. depending on how you are fingering the chord can effect the quickness of changes.

It will get better, keep plugging along!!!
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
You just have to move your ring finger, your other fingers stay in place.

So like the guys above said..... practice practise practise.
when im practising chord changes I pick a strum pattern and play alternating bars of the chords im practising and concentrate on keeping the rhythm going regardless of how badly or indeed well the chord change goes. Often i have to correct my chord shape during the bar but it doesnt take long before the changes get smoother and smoother. I think its possible to think about it too much and before I did this I was getting over reliant on watching my fretting hand while i was playing.
Thanks for all of the responses! It seems like most just move the ring finger to form the C. This makes sense and is probably the most efficient but I flub the note too often this way. I also can't get the ring finger to go far enough over for the best sound. I will keep experimenting and practicing. Not only are there different ways to get to the same notes but I have learned that there are different fingerings for the same exact note. I love all the ways you can play an A. My fingers are too fat to do most of them For now, I just barre it

I will watch the videos for sure
just keep playing, your reach will get bigger quickly and using your ring finger will allow you to mute the e-string
From an Am to C or vise-versa, you should only have to move your ring finger from 2nd fret of the G string to the 3rd fret of the A string, or the other way around.
I can move the ring finger to the A string third fret but it ends of being in a less than optimal position on the fret. If I use my pinky, which I know is a little unusual, I can reach the end of the fret.
-Mike
When I am learning a new sequence of chord grips that are unfamiliar -- I get one chord under my fingers, let go of the neck, put my fingers back, let go .. repeat. I'll do this a few times and then try to go from one chord to the next -- always taking my hand off the fretboard and resetting -- this way, after a few days, it just becomes muscle memory.

After a while, it becomes very easy to grab certain chords. But there are always more -- and the same technique for learning seems to work for me.

Another thing that is important and I have noticed it in students -- don't put a death grip in the neck! You want to practice relaxed, but focused.
Am to C, you only move one finger. That;s gonna come in handy when you master A minor shaped barre chords and realize that by moving ONE finger, you can create a whole new barre chord shape xD

So yeah if you're using the conventional Am fingering, move your ring finger - everything else can stay.

Now Am to G is very hard indeed (to a beginner at least) and unless you've gotten Am to C, G to Cadd9, G to D, you probably shouldn't start practicing it or you'll get frustrated. You'll notice that once you begin to practice the inevitable G to C and D to C, the G to Am and D to Am will come naturally because it's almost the same fingering.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
I use Am with mixolydian notes in it, so its a prettry easy switch from that on, Or you''ll play a lick in 3 octaves up the neck in A minor and youll get into Cmajor range.
Quote by Dennis_SG
I use Am with mixolydian notes in it, so its a prettry easy switch from that on, Or you''ll play a lick in 3 octaves up the neck in A minor and youll get into Cmajor range.

That literally makes no sense whatsoever.

What are "mixolydian notes"

There is a Mixolydian mode -- one of modes from the ancient Greeks, a Mixolydian scale and a Mixolydian cadence.

"Mixolydian" is a fancy word found in music theory.

But, "mixolydian notes" makes no sense at all.

The TS is asking about moving from the chord Am to the chord C:

x O 2 2 1 O -> x 3 2 O 1 O

And what do you mean by "in the C major range" -- are you aiming for C6 on the neck? What is C major range?

I would avoid using terminology that is confusing unless you really understand it.
I appreciate all of the great responses. I am new here so yesterday I ventured out into the pit to post a thread. Wow, that was quite an experience
-Mike