Page 1 of 5
ORIGINAL PLAN UPDATED, building second shell to finish. Keeping the original shell in tact for the future when Craig has Howie Doumbledoor mowing his yard.

i'm soon to be getting the first production CEC Amps Toll-Free Express head. (in case... 10 watts, single EL34, 2 - 12ax7s) Thank you Joe, and thank you Craig.

This is how the shell looks. This one is staying just like it is, i am building a second shell.

i'm attempting a burst finish on a nice piece of quilt veneer on the top and sides of the new shell.
i purchased premium quilt veneer from the wood well online for $15. 10 inches wide, by 23 inches long, 1/42 thick. (2 pieces, bookmatched).

i plan on simply building a very similar shell and covering it in the quilt veneer and using transtint, make it look nice.

anyway, thanks for reading and i hope this inspires others.

edit: there is a clip of the amp at the bottom of this page. http://www.cecamps.com/main/amplifiers/toll-free-express/
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 20, 2011,
Looks good! Can't wait to hear it!
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
craig has a clip on his site, i linked it in an edit.

got some veneer today in the mail.

should have the amp in a couple weeks.

waiting on some dye too.
At first glance, I thought this was one of those stupid adbot threads. I clicked on the thread and found a sexy head.
Thanks Greg, now I have GAS...

Very nice amp.
I believe in function over form. It seems this amp has function and form. That makes it an uber-tastic amp.
..I was watching my death.
all i'm waiting on is the head.

onetics had a slight delay. it's all good.

i need to get practicing on a stray piece to see how the finish will work out.
i'd like to use black and the merlot so it has that deep effect to it.

we'll see, i have my doubts about sanding too much off of the veneer. it's not super thick, but it's thicker than i expected. if i go easy i may be able to use two colors.

thanks guys, i'm looking forward to this re-fin.
did craig put in a new transformer in that thing?

you really love your little headz.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ i'm not the modding jet city 20's and tiny terrors.

but we should collaborate on that slodumble.

Quote by timbit2006
Thanks Greg, now I have GAS...

Very nice amp.
I believe in function over form. It seems this amp has function and form. That makes it an uber-tastic amp.

you're welcome.

craig has the function part covered. i'm just messing with the "form" part for fun really. i always wanted to do this to an amp.

i mean, we see a lot of threads where people are re-finishing guitars and such.

why not a thread about doing up a head in some sick quilt?

Quote by vodkanoodle
My WORD that wood is sexy. I am so jealous and have presently subscribed

thanks. yea the pieces i received looked nicer than the "sample" on the wood well site.

i'm kicking around the idea of doing a wooden front panel and ditching the plexi idea on this one. pretty sure of it actually.

Nice choice Craig's been working heavily on his "uber secret project " lately too, so all that R&D might have been cutting in on normal production.

Can't wait to see your final product! Make sure you post clips too
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Nice choice Craig's been working heavily on his "uber secret project " lately too, so all that R&D might have been cutting in on normal production.

And that uber secret project is AWESOME.

Nice looking veneer, Greg!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Shinozoku

yea that thing looks awesome. he posted some pics of it today. wow.

he was waiting for the trannys for the TFX amps, which i understand arrived today so hopefully he can post some shots when he is working on it.

i'll do some clips, not a problem. i finally figured out how to get my zoom h2 not to clip.

Quote by oneblackened
Nice looking veneer, Greg!

yea how about that. it's better than the sample pic they give you online. (the one in the OP).

also i'm pretty sure pulling off a 2 color dye should work fine with some sanding. the veneer is thicker than i feared it would be.

i picked up some tools i need today and supplies, weights for the gluing sessions, razors.
Quote by gregs1020
he was waiting for the trannys for the TFX amps, which i understand arrived today so hopefully he can post some shots when he is working on it.

They be here. Custom wound goodness...

Quote by CECamps
They be here. Custom wound goodness...

who are these guys...are they kinda like a cheaper mercury magnetics??
Quote by AcousticMirror
who are these guys...are they kinda like a cheaper mercury magnetics??

Quote by CECamps

are your brigand ones retro-m's or standards?

I really want a couple to a/b.
Quote by AcousticMirror
are your brigand ones retro-m's or standards?

I really want a couple to a/b.

The Brigand OT is the Hi-Def.
OP updated. I plan on keeping the stock shell as is, and building a second shell in the merlot burst. I just can't tear into craigs #1. When Howie Doumbledoor is mowing Craig's lawn someday, this thing is gonna be worth a fortune!

Craig, overall dimensions are 14"wide x 9"high x 9"deep right? also any chance on me scoring a logo from you? maybe you have an spare suckerpunch style CEC logo laying around? i'll buy it. Thanks for posting those transformer pics, looks great. instant mojo with CEC on there.

also it will have a wooden front panel. the plexi idea is out. it's so overdone these days lol.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 7, 2011,
at the lawn mowing...

Chassis dimensions are 12" x 8" x 2" and the cab dimensions are 14.5" x 9.625" x 9.625" overall. The front and rear plates are each 0.0625" thick which brings the chassis depth up a hair to 8.125". Most important thing for you are the chassis dimensions and front and rear panel openings. The panel openings need to be exactly 11.5" wide and 1.75" tall. That's pretty critical, not a lot of wiggle room there.

Unfortunately, I don't have any logo plates right now that aren't accounted for. When I order another batch I'll let you know.

EDIT:
You could always just unscrew the one from the cab to put on the new one. Unless you need a different size?
Last edited by CECamps at Jun 7, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
OP updated. I plan on keeping the stock shell as is, and building a second shell in the merlot burst. I just can't tear into craigs #1. When Howie Doumbledoor is mowing Craig's lawn someday, this thing is gonna be worth a fortune! ...
Indeed!

BTW, you need some heavy bags to keep the veneer very flat while the glue dries. Merlot Burst is a good choice, not too attention whorish. I would have gone with TransBlack.

Quote by gregs1020
OP updated. I plan on keeping the stock shell as is, and building a second shell in the merlot burst. I just can't tear into craigs #1. When Howie Doumbledoor is mowing Craig's lawn someday, this thing is gonna be worth a fortune!

also it will have a wooden front panel. the plexi idea is out. it's so overdone these days lol.

Thank you so very much.
If this was the future and I had one million dollars I'd buy that amp.

I agree with the whole plexiglass thing. Every old jackoff has it these days.
^ yea, i was overdoing it a bit. i'm glad i scaled back.

Quote by Ippon
Indeed!

BTW, you need some heavy bags to keep the veneer very flat while the glue dries. Merlot Burst is a good choice, not too attention whorish. I would have gone with TransBlack.

i have a 30 pound weight and a 25 pound weight. and i was planning on gluing one side a night and trimming down the veneer and sanding smooth the next day. the largest surface area i am gluing at one time is about 14"x9". i have a straight, flat, board i was going to put directly on the veneer and the weights on top of that and let it sit overnight.

but if you think a sandbag is a better way to go, no problemo, i will.

i went with merlot to match the emperor cab that's going under it. trans black would be good too. but the hottie that i live with likes cherry furniture and merlot was the closest. so merlot it is.

gotta keep the peace yo.

Craig: I may just unscrew that logo, good call.
Ahhh Min...

Lookin sweet, Craig! And I can't wait to see the results of this, Gregs!

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Ahhh Min...

Lookin sweet, Craig! And I can't wait to see the results of this, Gregs!

me too lol.

so getting the dye isn't going to be as easy peasy as i'd hoped. so i will see what the cab looks like when it comes and go from there. i know i'm using black transtint and whatever other color i go with so ordering the black dye today so i can get practicing.

also going to pick up some wood and hardware for the new shell.

ok i picked up some solid pine for the enclosure. i have 8" of internal height clearance, and slightly more width than there is on the current shell. so it's a little wider overall. i'm going to cut the depth at 9.25" overall. that leaves a little room for the chassis to be recessed in.

i glued (titebond) a couple pieces of veneer on test strips of the pine. they are currently under a 50 lb bag of play sand. i ordered the transtint, so it should be here in a few days to start testing the dye process. i have an extra 14"x10" of veneer, so if i suck at this, i have a lot to practice on first.

Question: should i adhere the veneer before putting the enclosure together or after? Any thoughts on that are appreciated.

thanks!
I would put the veneer on after the enclosure's made.
If you put it on before cutting and assembling, there will be the end-grain of the main wood showing.
Unless you are talking about putting the veneer on after cutting and drilling. Then my post is completely useless.

too much glue? i did go a bit thick i won't lie. thoughts?

also i used the heaviest part of the veneer for lumps so this may be the absolute worst test strips in history.

wood.

inside dims, 13" w x 9.25" d x 8" h.

so i have the internal mounts that will hold the top to the sides gluing in place. i will be gluing the mounts/top/sides as well as screwing them in place. should be sturdy as hell.

i'm also making 3 more veneer test pieces. i was more careful with the glue in case that was the issue in the 2 pictured above.

also picked up some wood clamps. very useful.

Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 9, 2011,

ta da! today was productive. i also made a few more test pieces to practice on.

gonna let everything dry overnight and start sanding tomorrow. i think i went a little overboard with the bracing, this thing could hold up a dodge fury.

stu mac shipped my transtint. i ordered black and red mahogany. we'll see how the tests come out and figure out what i'm really doing for color.

(i also mudd'd a bathroom today, i was real productive ).
Thats lookin real good man.

Question, what kind of wood did you use to make it? If you posted it earlier I missed it, I've been looking into turning my Valveking into a head unit, and building me a cab for it.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Thats lookin real good man.

Question, what kind of wood did you use to make it? If you posted it earlier I missed it, I've been looking into turning my Valveking into a head unit, and building me a cab for it.

Thanks.

i used pine. i had 2 choices in solid wood, pine or oak. and pine weighed a lot less, so i went with pine.
Well that'd be an obvious choice eh? Oak head unit would be ridiculously heavy.

Did you get it at a hardware store? Or a lumber yard?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

home depot. the wood cost me $7.50.

oak was less which surprised me.

edit: V me too.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 9, 2011,
Excellent, I'm gonna be doing some hunting very soon then.

Can't wait to see this done

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

^ thanks me too big time.

ok, hit the whole thing with 60 grit, then 150 today.

i got everything flush, sides, top, bottom.

then made the bezels.

wood filler in a few spots and it's time to prime/paint the inside.

Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 10, 2011,
the woodwell shipped the veneer packed inbetween these scrapped acoustic top blanks. i assume they scraped it because of the flaw (circled by them, not me).

so i'm using it for the front and back panels. i tapped on it, it has nice tone.

hehe

pine body, spruce front and back panel, sounds good to me.

it should take the dye just fine, and look good finished.

i know it doesn't matter, but for some reason, i'm really glad i'm using guitar woods for the head shell in general. the fact that the front and back are acoustic top blanks, really works for me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 11, 2011,
I love how they circled a flaw that was not only going to be cut out, but also any part that was on the actual top would be reinforced anyway...

Stupid name.

Quote by vodkanoodle
That's awesome! Get some tone woods in there

exactly. purpose useless or not. just because.

Quote by Shinozoku
I love how they circled a flaw that was not only going to be cut out, but also any part that was on the actual top would be reinforced anyway...

and the flaw is going to be dead center on the head face plate. i sanded it, honestly that part is fine it's just a little darker.

moch up.

Page 1 of 5