Page 1 of 2
now don't take this as "if you don't know what you need you don't need it" thread please.

ive got a big check coming in within the next couple of months that is going to be in the $3-4k range.

1. since i have no recording gear, that could be a good place to start, although none of it would be usable in the studio i plan on opening in the next two years.

2. i have been bulding amps and would like to put it towards that, and i am going through electronics books like crazy, and may add being an amp tech/builder to my title.

3. the other thing since i still need to acquire some gear for the studio amp and pedal wise, spend it on that. notable i will most likely want to have a dual rec

i will have cash flow coming in continually after the check. not a ton, but enough to put towards more gear.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Buy a decent Mac and you will be able to use it in any studio you may build.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

For that much money you could get pretty much any computer with exactly the specs you'd want and it would be great for recording...

Since you don't have much recording gear you should start to build up some.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
For that much money you could get pretty much any computer with exactly the specs you'd want and it would be great for recording...

Let's not get into mac vs pc here, but you are definitely right.

Anyway, if I had that kinda money I'd by a higher-end guitar for the studio and get some decent recording equipment, and maybe an AxeFX or something.
Periphery, love that shit!
Quote by Raijouta

Since you don't have much recording gear you should start to build up some.

If I was building a studio and wasn't trying to be all ethical using open source software the main spec I'd want in a computer would be "be a Mac".

If you are building amps do you have the gear you need? A scope, a good soldering station, a tone generator, a Fluke, good variable workshop power supply, good supply of resistors, caps, tubes, transformers, chassis etc. Not to mention woodworking gear; router, saw bench, drill press, handtools, etc
You can chew through a few grand on those sort of things without raising a sweat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 26, 2011,
Yeah, get yourself a nice computer (doesn't have to be a Mac, but if that's how you roll then that's how you roll) and a really good interface, a couple decent mics, and a bunch of amp parts and books. I think you could get all that for that price.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I'd say the specs of the computer are more important than whatever OS it may have. You can get great recording software on Windows or Mac. I know if I had 4 grand to spend I'd get an Intel Sandy Bridge 6-core, 8 gigs (or more) RAM and maybe SLI two nVidia GTX 460s and maybe a couple LCD monitors.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Get a dual rec that you want, and a nice clean amp - like a fender deluxe reverb or something. You would be set for guitar sounds for at least a little while. Delays and reverbs are often done with plugins, so maybe a good dirt box; something you aren't really going to be wanting to do with software. A tubescreamer style pedal would be good to add to your collection, as well as a fuzz (can't go wrong with an old big box muff).
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by Cathbard
If I was building a studio and wasn't trying to be all ethical using open source software the main spec I'd want in a computer would be "be a Mac".

If you are building amps do you have the gear you need? A scope, a good soldering station, a tone generator, a Fluke, good variable workshop power supply, good supply of resistors, caps, tubes, transformers, chassis etc. Not to mention woodworking gear; router, saw bench, drill press, handtools, etc
You can chew through a few grand on those sort of things without raising a sweat.

i have most of the parts/tools listed except for a scope and a variac.

as far as the recording computer and iterface go, i would be over budget.

no as far as axe goes

thinking about picking up a 2ch dual rec anda rockaverb and building a couple more clones to round up the restof the funds.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Axe fx ii
rme babyface interface
1000$ hackintosh rig p.s not mac just google hackintosh
donate 100$
spend the rest on beer :p
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
personally i would not spend all that on music equipment, thats a lot of money man you might want to save some. If i were you id just buy a ~$1000 computer (if you dont already have a decent one) then spend maybe $500 on a mic, monitors, mixer, etc.

Especially since you say this will only be temporary man why dont you save the majority of this money for when you build your real studio?
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by chrisg7
personally i would not spend all that on music equipment, thats a lot of money man you might want to save some. If i were you id just buy a ~$1000 computer (if you dont already have a decent one) then spend maybe $500 on a mic, monitors, mixer, etc.

Especially since you say this will only be temporary man why dont you save the majority of this money for when you build your real studio?

i have plenty of cash atm, this is more of an investment type thing than 'on a whim' also i will be getting income after the fact, more than enough to support my needs (read BEER).

i will likely picking up one of those Gibson Gator BFG's too. i forgot to mention that. i get two gibsons every year since three years ago, just for fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
You get two Gibson a year just for fun? That sounds like a waste of money, you could go to six flags or something "just for fun" and it would be a lot cheaper.

But it sounds like you have an incredible amount of disposable income, so do what you want.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Start giving me 4k $ twice every year just for fun
you'l enjoy it i promise
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
You get two Gibson a year just for fun? That sounds like a waste of money, you could go to six flags or something "just for fun" and it would be a lot cheaper.

But it sounds like you have an incredible amount of disposable income, so do what you want.

Not everybody works at McDonald's.

Some of us actually earn a sizeable chunk of disposable income in a year.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Who works at mac d?????
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
^i know how you feel i am 17 too
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
I'd love an oscilloscope and a frequency generator. really.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by phoenix_crush
Goddamn. I wish I had that kind of money. Being 17 sucks when you need money.

It sucks just as bad when you're 19. Or 42.

Or 76.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Not everybody works at McDonald's.

Some of us actually earn a sizeable chunk of disposable income in a year.

This.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
27" iMac
Logic 9
a big ass interface
a few SM57s and an SM58
pair of monitors, Genelec or M-Audio are pretty tasty

save the rest, that will give you a nice little studio set up
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by FireFromTheVoid

I think it's more like he works a normal job, but he has less bills to pay for? I have a regular part time job but I save money by not having to pay rent at least for another year or two.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by shredftw
27" iMac
Logic 9
a big ass interface
a few SM57s and an SM58

i second this, except just get sm58s because they become sm57s when you take the top off (look it up if you dont believe me)

but if your like most of us you would never buy logic haha
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Last edited by chrisg7 at May 26, 2011,
spend it all on an old vibroverb. ditch the bassman.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by ECistheBest
I think it's more like he works a normal job, but he has less bills to pay for? I have a regular part time job but I save money by not having to pay rent at least for another year or two.

That makes since. But I was more saying spending a couple thousand dollars on gibsons for the hell of it sounds wasteful, not because I work at McDonald's. Which I don't.
Especially when he trying to get a studio started.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 26, 2011,
Quote by shredftw
27" iMac
Logic 9
a big ass interface
a few SM57s and an SM58

I go with this.

I'm running Garageband, one SM57 and a cheap M-Audio interface and I can get better sounds than a lot of demos I've heard when I work at it.

Don't forget the headphones man. Gotta have some nice studio headphones.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'd definitely go with the studio gear. I have a mac and a PC that I built. The mac is nowhere near my music gear, so I've only used it for recording very limited stuff. My PC is my main recording workhorse. You can build a total hot rod PC for like $1k or less that will run any DAW, and any number of tracks you want to throw at it.

But anyway, my point is that mac or PC, plus a handful of decent mics and a good interface will get you a pro level recording setup for maybe $1500 or so. Then you have $1500-2500 left to buy other goodies. I get surprisingly good sounding recordings using a boss BR-800 as an interface into reaper. And considering that I already had the PC, the only gear I had to buy was the BR-800 and mics.

EDIT: A set of decent monitors and headphones will be nice to have as well. Look at the sennheiser over ear headphones. About $100, and they are pretty comfy.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
well, if you're serious, save it (and your two Gibsons a year fund every year)...

...towards a dumble
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Last edited by blkdtr at May 26, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard

dont listen to him...do not treat yourself to crApple....

Build yourself your own PC, completely upgradable, your own specs, then spend the rest on whatever else you'll need..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
man if i had an extra 4k I'd stock for a couple more builds.

all the things I could get....

fapfapfapfap.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by blkdtr
well, if you're serious, save it (and your two Gibsons a year fund every year)...

...towards a dumble

At that rate he'll have a Dumble in about 20 years.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by phoenix_crush
Goddamn. I wish I had that kind of money. Being 17 sucks when you need money.

This. Can't get a job, and parents are cool, but don't spoil me. You like squier gear? Cause I'll swap for a Gibson.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Quote by Raijouta
At that rate he'll have a Dumble in about 20 years.

Not if they keep going up in price. Then it'll be just out of grasp forever.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
get ten old champs and a buncha cables.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Page 1 of 2