I've been interested in expanding and wanting to try and achieve various tones but don't have a lot of money to keep buying pedals. Would a good 500$+ multi effects pedal be just as good? If so could anyone recommend me any good ones?
i have to admit, the pod 500 is pretty great. Serious leap forward. Purists won't like it, but hey. Try one out, listen for yourself.
Pod HD 500
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I did a really fast little add up in my head, and $500, spent entirely at amazon.com (easiest place for me to find US prices) would seemingly get you:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss DD-3 Delay
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
ISP Decimator*
And some patch cables to link it all together.

Way more fun than multiFX.

Put another way, I watch about 10 bands a week play live here where I live. The only people I see using multiFX are bassists - guitarists always have pedalboards. Draw from that what you will.

*I may have accidentally added this on and brought the total to $600 in my tiredness.
Ebow > Adam Black Hydra/hhttp://i53.tinypic.com/opzadt.jpg > Morley PVO+ Volume > TC Electronic Polytune > Blackstar HT-DRIVE > EHX Big Muff > Danelectro Danecho > Line 6 Verbzilla > Akai Headrush > Akai Headrush > Laney VC30-212 w/Celestion G12H30 70th SEs
The HD500 is a good unit. But you could get a used RP1000 off eBay for around $250. That would be a good starting point.

My buddy uses an HD500 with a Digitech GSP1101 in his band. Professional guitarist do use multifx.
Quote by fly135
Professional guitarist do use multifx.

i agree !

boss gt-10 is well in your budget and tonnes of fx too
I wanted a boss GT 8 or 10 so i could do the muse synth arpeggios. I learned a lot about effects when I borrowed a vox tonelab and a GT10 3 or 4 years ago. I learned what I used the most, how to use them for my sound, how effective they are with other effects, and how they respond to distortion and drive. Leaps and bounds in my knowledge of effects and sounds, and was very convenient.

I use single pedals now, because they're slightly less complicated, and because I know which ones I want and how to set them to what I like. Plus, they look really cool sitting on the floor in front of me.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by funeralllllllll
i agree !

boss gt-10 is well in your budget and tonnes of fx too

Fred Akerfeldt uses one.
Glen Drover used to sue a GSP1101
Petrucci and Vai use the Axe FX for effects sometimes.
Misha and Abbasi use the Axe FX exclusively.

^I am so not gonna argue with these dudes.