I am going to get an amp of my choosing for my birthday (28th May) only 2 more days so I have to decide on which amp to buy, O_O
I decided to go with the Blackstar HT-40, but then I found out it requires a tube (Tubes are really hard to get here in this country). So am trying to decide on an amp that doesnt need a tube. o.O
So here's the criteria.....

- Under $600, Though if it is a little higher I don't mind.
- No tubes required, So it means a solid state right? o.O
- Good for playing Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden and other metal stuff. :P

P.S: Am I right about the Blackstar amp? Or does it not have a tube?

Thanks,
The HT-40 comes with tubes, and most tube amps come with tubes...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I can't imagine that it would be any harder to get tubes than it is to get the tube amp
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I can't imagine that it would be any harder to get tubes than it is to get the tube amp

True dat. You can get a tube amp. Then you can ORDER tubes on and learn how to operate on the amp if the tube blows [lets just hope it doesnt ]
If anything requiring tube is absolutely out of the question, I'd probably recommend a modelling amp; I've never SS distortion that I liked... Plenty of convincing models, though.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I quite enjoy Line6's modelling, and I like their Spider series, too. I haven't played one since the now veneravble Spider IIs, but I think one of the Spider IV's ina either a 75-watt 1x12, or a 120-watt 2x10 should get you what you want.

Whether one of those will suffice really depends on what you want to do with the amp. In my opinion, sufficient for jamming, alone or with friends, but not ideal for stage use.

A more expensive option would be to look at a multi-fx unit with amp modelling (again, I like the Line6 PODs, but Digitech, Boss, Vox and many others all make decent ones), and either a combo to play it through, or even better, a PA speaker. But this is a more complex route.

TL;DR If you want to avoid tubes, look into modelling amps.
Quote by FireFromTheVoid

I'm ordering it on ebay. -_-
and the duty/tax is just way too frikkin high. :P

@Wolffgang: I don't like modelling amps, I had one, but it can't do effect pedals so.... nah I think I'll pass. :/

@Frank_Black: am in the Maldives. :P
What exactly do you mean by 'it can't do effect pedals'?

You most certainly can use effects with them, they tend to have loops. And beyond that, they have effects in-built, the floor units especially, to the point that some people use them to replace standalone stompboxes.

If you don't like them, fair enough, but I don't quite understand your reasoning...
Quote by Wolffgang
What exactly do you mean by 'it can't do effect pedals'?

You most certainly can use effects with them, they tend to have loops. And beyond that, they have effects in-built, the floor units especially, to the point that some people use them to replace standalone stompboxes.

If you don't like them, fair enough, but I don't quite understand your reasoning...

Oh sorry, I meant that effect pedals don't work when they are connected to a modelling amp, like I connected my wah pedal and it didnt sound at all, same went for my distortion pedal. :/

^^ Atleast thats what happened to me. :P
Quote by Raijouta
The HT-40 comes with tubes, and most tube amps come with tubes...

This. In fact, ALL tube amps come with tubes. I don't know of any tube amp that ships without tubes included.

Get that HT-40, not some cheap-ass modeler.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
This. In fact, ALL tube amps come with tubes. I don't know of any tube amp that ships without tubes included.

Get that HT-40, not some cheap-ass modeler.

I heard you need to have a cabinet for tube amps, if you connect it without a cabinet it will blow up. Is it true for the HT-40? =O
Quote by MaddMann274
I heard you need to have a cabinet for tube amps, if you connect it without a cabinet it will blow up. Is it true for the HT-40? =O

They need a load. I'm assuming you're getting the HT40 combo version, which won't blow up because the speaker in the combo is the load.

Tube amps can be either combo or head. Combo is head + speaker in one, and head is just the amp with no speaker.

If you get the HT-40 head, then yes you need a load/cabinet.
I would get the Blackstar. I am sure you can find a place online where you can have tubes shipped to you without crazy s/h and high taxes. Even if you do have to pay more to get tubes if you aren't gigging extensively you should only have to retube your amp every few years unless you play 5 hours a day everyday. Wouldn't be too outrageously expensive and you can rest assured that you are gonna get good tone.

Edit: Where do you live that it is so hard to get tubes?
Quote by Tyler.Allain
I would get the Blackstar. I am sure you can find a place online where you can have tubes shipped to you without crazy s/h and high taxes. Even if you do have to pay more to get tubes if you aren't gigging extensively you should only have to retube your amp every few years unless you play 5 hours a day everyday. Wouldn't be too outrageously expensive and you can rest assured that you are gonna get good tone.

Edit: Where do you live that it is so hard to get tubes?

Like I said before I live in the Maldives.... >_>
So can I equip this amp with any tube of my choosing? Also does different tubes have different tones? << I mean can it have a significant change in the amp's tone?

Thanks
Quote by MaddMann274
Like I said before I live in the Maldives.... >_>
So can I equip this amp with any tube of my choosing? Also does different tubes have different tones? << I mean can it have a significant change in the amp's tone?

Thanks

OK, first of all you can't just stick any tube you want in there. All amps are able to use only certain kinds of tubes. The Blackstar, for instance, runs EL34s in the power amp, you can only use EL34 power tubes.

There are sonic differences - EL34s tend to be associated with British voicing (the 70s classic rock sound).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales