As a half follow up to my last thread, in which I decided I'm getting an Ibanez RG1527, I was wondering why most 7 string djent was played in drop A# or Ab. I want to tune my guitar to Drop A, so I can use it for standard stuff as well, but I was wondering if there was some technical reason djent was not in drop A. So, any reasons?
Check out my band! Blues mixed with Indie/Alternative from the UK.
Badlands UK
Because that's what Bulb plays in so people copied him.

Probably has something to do with the fact that's whatever their vocalist range fitted into.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm pretty sure Djent got its name from onomatopoeia, as the sound of chuggy riffs on heavily detuned guitars is a 'djenty djent' sound, hence the choice of low tunings - they partially define the genre.
You can play it in whatever tuning you want mate.

Though if you want to play along to tracks in Ab you will need to tune down obviously....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
To get the djent sound which I relate to Meshuggah you just need to palm mute in a certain way, preferably with a tubescreamer-esque pedal infront of your high gain amp. Drop A should prove sufficient at least, but kids these days and their homo boners for Periphery... I don't even...
Last edited by Ascendant at May 26, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
You can play it in whatever tuning you want mate.

Though if you want to play along to tracks in Ab you will need to tune down obviously....

Ok cool. Cheers guys. And yea, I may have to tune down occasionally I guess.

Drop A 1527 here I come!
Check out my band! Blues mixed with Indie/Alternative from the UK.
Badlands UK