I'm trying to get my head round more theory but i'm confused what are intervals? Yes I know im thick I just don't get it.
An interval is the distance between two notes.
simple.well, maybe not that simple, you see, if you play guitar, which i guess you do,
you should be able to hear that each fret is half a tone upward of the lower one.So you have intervals, like the first which is basically the same note (unless it is a big first, then its half a note up or down), the other name for this one is small second, I can elaborate if you want.
Last edited by MrBillion at May 26, 2011,
Quote by MrBillion
An interval is the distance between two notes.
simple.well, maybe not that simple, you see, if you play guitar, which i guess you do,
you should be able to hear that each fret is half a tone upward of the lower one.So you have intervals, like the first which is basically the same note (unless it is a big first, then its half a note up or down), the other name for this one is small second, I can elaborate if you want.

I have no idea what you're talking about with "big first" and "small second" I've never heard of those terms before. An interval is the distance between two notes. The interval between C and D is a major second, the distance between C and E is a major third, Between C and F is perfect fourth, C and G is perfect fifth, C and A is major sixth, C and B is major seventh, and then you get the octave after that.

Pro tip: Don't learn scale patterns, learn the formula. Ex: WWHWWWH is the major scale. WHWWHWW is the natural minor scale. If you learn a pattern then you know the scale in that fixed position, but if you construct yoru scales yourself you can play them all over the fretboard.
so is it the distance between each note? I don't get all this major 2nd major 3rd and perfect fourth stuff. What is that?
I think you might want to ask this in musician talk forum, since you will get better answears there.

I could give it a try to explain to you a little about intervals, but im no master of theory or anything.

Intervals is the distance between notes.

Lets take an example, if we make the note "A" our root note in a scale. (Lets say on the 5 fret of the E string to make it easy scale wise).

Then one fret above (the 6th fret) the a you have a minor 2nd interval, and one fret above that (the 7th fret) you have a major 2nd. Then one fret above that one you have a minor 3rd, and then a major 3rd.

I can´t really explain how this works so i surggest you look into some theory on this site, scales and intervals should be good.
yeah sorry i used the wrong names because i couldnt remember what they are called in english. major would be big, minor would be small, and perfect would be clean in my language. :/