I'm monkeying around with a concept for a school marketing project, and I was wondering if I get some opinions. Just as a heads up disclaimer though: No, I'm not a sleazy web marketer trying to sell something in a forum thread, just a kid trying to work out an idea.

At what point would you be willing to engage your audience in direct advertising during a gig? This doesn't necessarily need to involve writing a song about cocacola, but what's the threshold?

Suppose you were given the opportunity to get every single person at your gig a free beer, t-shirt, cd, whatever, so long as they called up the magic-band-sponsor hotline and sang along into the receiver for a couple of lines - Would you take a minute out of your set to tell the audience that "XYZ brand will give you free shit if you do ABC". What if you were being paid for every single call that went though?

What about a situation where the incentive wasn't free? "XYZ brand will give you cheap shit if you send a text message to ABC". (ie. maybe a certain guitar magazine subscription for 80% off?). Again, XYZ is paying you about a buck every time an order goes through.

What if you controlled the products? "We're too cheap for a merch table, but you can send a $5 text message to our phone number and we'll mail a whole stack of cds to you!"

I guess the real question to decide here is how to increase a band's income from a gig by selling out in a way that further engages the audience. Any input?
Funky c, Funky do

Suppose you were given the opportunity to get every single person at your gig a free beer, t-shirt, cd, whatever, so long as they called up the magic-band-sponsor hotline and sang along into the receiver for a couple of lines - Would you take a minute out of your set to tell the audience that "XYZ brand will give you free shit if you do ABC". What if you were being paid for every single call that went though?
[/QUOTE

Yes.

Free beer and music is always good.
Most people give me a beer to stop me from singing.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
No fuck that. You'd lose all artistic integrity! Who fucking needs all that money and bullshit when it was never about that in the first place. People who accept money for music are just fucking terrible. Try listening to real music like Nick Cave.

/disillusioned teenager
As someone who attends shows a lot, it's really ****ing annoying to hear artists spouting shit. I really don't care. If I like the band, I'll buy their merch/CDs. I don't see why it has to be made so complicated. All that has to be said is "hey, we have merch in the back, check it out".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Actually to an extent it's being done now. I took my daughter to see Justin Bieber (yeah screw you i'm an awesome dad!) any who... they kept putting things up on the screen saying text this to whatever for a chance to meet such and such.. the text of course cost.. so in a way I could see this working out to some benefit... cause every kid in that place busted out their phone and sent a message! Bet they made a killing at $2 a text!
Absolutely not. In fact, if I was at a gig and the band did that, I would probably walk out.
I don't believe I would ever do that, but I wouldn't have a problem with other bands doing it as long as it doesn't interfere with the show.
Quote by funky_c
At what point would you be willing to engage your audience in direct advertising during a gig?

The second I got offered free product for advertising it.
I'd put like a thing of free beer with a big sign behind it for whoever was providing the beer and be like there is free "xyz" beer in the back.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Alright, so I'm hearing the following (awesome) feedback:

1) Give me free stuff/money and I'll do whatever you want

2) This would piss me off to no end and I'd hate the band forever

3) It would need to be minimally invasive, and not interfere with the show (ie. a secondary merch booth with free stuff).

Moving on from there then, what sort of value would need to be created for this sort of practice to be justified? Justin Bieber had sweepstakes that were apparently worth $2 a pop, and Lady Gaga just did a campaign where she almost crashed some amazon servers with people trying to get unreleased tracks (bad examples for this forum, i know :P). Do you guys have any tricks or freebies that provoke this kind of behavior in your audiences?
Funky c, Funky do
Product placement already happens in bands.
mostly in the forms of specific t-shirts band members wear, specific brand instruments, a specific brand of whiskey they drink on stage,....
Quote by Offworld92
As someone who attends shows a lot, it's really ****ing annoying to hear artists spouting shit. I really don't care. If I like the band, I'll buy their merch/CDs. I don't see why it has to be made so complicated. All that has to be said is "hey, we have merch in the back, check it out".

This, any more than a few quick lines about the merchandise you've got there or about your next gig / facebook gig dates or something is being ****ing annoying.
I'd have a lawyer eye over it and find a way I can poke fun at it. I have no problem with it as long as the band has some fun with it. Make it into a joke more than you make it an advertisement, while still maintaining contractual obligations.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
@Necrosis: I love it. Leveraging the band's personality is what makes this sort of model successful. Any other kind of engagement would be jarring and ineffective. What better way to stick it to the man than to take his money?

I'd like to take this moment to risk mentioning how people in this thread are using their signatures to provide the exact same service that I'm proposing here, just on another venue. The engagement value of the forum discussion itself is being specifically interrupted by the posters to plug their band, their t-shirts, or a website they like to associate with. But that's ok, because we've all come to accept sigs as a means of adding new value to the discussion by expressing our individual personality.

Any ideas on how this 'sponsored forum signature model' might be applicable to a gig?
Funky c, Funky do