hi guys, i have huge MXR ZW overdrive problem. After few minutes of playing overdrive sound starts to fade out than i have to turn off and on again to restore normal pedal overdrive.. that fading out happens every 3-4 minutes pedal is turned. WTF is that ? Anyone can help ?

THanks/
Last edited by sirlebus at May 26, 2011,
Something wrong with the pedals power supply, perhaps?
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Something wrong with the pedals power supply, perhaps?

This. Are you using a battery or AC adapter?
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Quote by blkdtr
This. Are you using a battery or AC adapter?

Yeah if you are using a battery its probably time to change it, but if you are using an Adapter and aren't sure that it is a proper adapter to power your pedal than STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY you could fry your pedal.
im using Boss pedalboard and adapter works fine wit all other pedals in row.
Quote by sirlebus
im using Boss pedalboard and adapter works fine wit all other pedals in row.

How many other pedals are there in the daisy chain?
Is the MXR one of the last few in the chain?
Are there any digital pedals in the chain?

I'd venture that you have too many pedals drawing from the same power source and the MXR is not getting enough current.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
How many other pedals are there in the daisy chain?
Is the MXR one of the last few in the chain?
Are there any digital pedals in the chain?

I'd venture that you have too many pedals drawing from the same power source and the MXR is not getting enough current.

thanks you for trying to help.

i have wah, boss noise supressor, boss overdrive and MXR ZW all goin to the boss volume pedal into fender blues deluxe reissue. I tryed to change order for boss and MXR getting same shit, however i never tryed to add actual battery into pedal maybe it would work okay wit it. WHen i got this pedal it has switching problem, pedal led wont turn off so i have to press couple of times than after wile problem gone and this new problem pop out.
I suggest one of the first things you can do is to disconnect all the other pedals, and have the power supply POWER ONLY the MXR.

If the problem persists, plonk a battery in there and see if the problem is still there. If the problem is really still there, then you might have a lemonity of a pedal.

If it solves the problem, I suggest you check how much current all the pedals draw. check for the mA symbol (i.e. 50 mA, 64mA etc etc). Add it all up and see if it exceeds the current supply of the Boss PSA (which can only supply a maximum of 500mA). If it exceeds, you've found the problem - Too many pedals, too little current.

However IIRC I don't think all those pedals there draw more than 500mA. All of them are analogue (altho I'm not too sure about the NS2). I think only the wah and the NS2 draw more than the overdrives, but it shouldn't draw so much to exceed 500mA.

However, given your old problem, i really suspect you have a lemon of a pedal there. Any chance you can bring it back to the store for an exchange?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I suggest one of the first things you can do is to disconnect all the other pedals, and have the power supply POWER ONLY the MXR.

If the problem persists, plonk a battery in there and see if the problem is still there. If the problem is really still there, then you might have a lemonity of a pedal.

If it solves the problem, I suggest you check how much current all the pedals draw. check for the mA symbol (i.e. 50 mA, 64mA etc etc). Add it all up and see if it exceeds the current supply of the Boss PSA (which can only supply a maximum of 500mA). If it exceeds, you've found the problem - Too many pedals, too little current.

However IIRC I don't think all those pedals there draw more than 500mA. All of them are analogue (altho I'm not too sure about the NS2). I think only the wah and the NS2 draw more than the overdrives, but it shouldn't draw so much to exceed 500mA.

However, given your old problem, i really suspect you have a lemon of a pedal there. Any chance you can bring it back to the store for an exchange?

i gave this pedal to one guy who work wit electronics to chk it out, he aint expert for this area but he maybe find source of the problemm. if not im gonna chk all steps you wrote. Yes i forgot to mention i connected this pedal to the PC (since i have external sound card) and it worked fine no faiding it was pure overdrive, yes it sounded gay try headphones however it didnt show any problem. About that mA chking i dont have much pedals, only 4, i had more before (delay, chorus, acoustic simulator) i sold that. nevermind ill chk out all those steps, btw i think this overdrive is good.