I dont really know too many examples of good bass tones. I'm a total noob at the bass tone wise and dont know where to begin either. Especially when it comes to using effects with the bass, somehow, I can't seem to dial a decent tone in basically because I don't know what sort of tone it is that I'm looking for.

Could someone post up examples of good distorted tones or where the chorus/delay/phaser etc have been used to good effect? Or songs where the tone has really stood out.

The one guy whose tones I think I'm in love with is the bass player from Jamiroquoi. That guy does some crazy stuff with his rig man!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Paul Turner is pretty interesting. He runs an octave pedal all the time from what I could see. Very nice Aguilar amps as well.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne has a pretty awsome bass tone. (imo)
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
the most celebrated distorted/fuzzy bassline has got to be Hysteria by Muse, mainly because you hear this epic buildup that starts with just that line, but also because it truly is a nice sound.

Jaco Pastorius, in addition to being awesome, makes great use of the chorus pedal. The first 3 notes from his Slang solo wow me every time. whether or not he was up to par that day, it's a lovely sound.

a few nice bass tones with the same playstyle/tone as Jamiroquai have got to be P-Nut from 311 (try the song Creatures (for a While)) and the first Incubus bassist, Dirk Lance (Are You In? is a classic).
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by fendercopyuser

Thats a killer tone man!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.