Ok, hello ppl!

Here's the thing: I recently got into tap arpeggios for several reasons:
1-to have another tool/technique in the bag to help my soloing/songwriting whatever
2-to increase the exercise/drill variety in my daily practice routine

Thing is I don't exactly know how to go about it.
Here's what my approach has been thus far: as I work in drop D tuning key of D minor it was only logical for me to uncover my first tap arpeggio on the fretboard being a D minor arpeggio so I jumped right into it and concocted a D minor 7th arpeggio sequence. Now it sounded fine and dandy but problem with it was that it could only be played in one spot on the fretboard and it sounded like a lick more than anything, it did not have the consistency or repeatable nature of lets say scale shapes or sweep arpeggio shapes + it could not be looped(donno if that's a bad thing or not). So I said to my self no problem, I'll just make another arpeggio sequence in another spot of the neck... and this is when I realized that the possibilities are ****ing endless... and that is what is ****ing getting to me... I don't know where to start and where to stop, how many arpeggio shapes should I practice? on how many strings? should they be sequenced or just straight up and down? etc. etc.

So in short, how do you guys make the best usage or tap arpeggios? Any good resources you can point me towards regarding this area of guitar playing??
Last edited by CRaul87 at May 26, 2011,
Quote by CRaul87
Ok, hello ppl!

Here's the thing: I recently got into tap arpeggios for several reasons:
1-to have another tool/technique in the bag to help my soloing/songwriting whatever
2-to increase the exercise/drill variety in my daily practice routine

Thing is I don't exactly know how to go about it.
Here's what my approach has been thus far: as I work in drop D tuning key of D minor it was only logical for me to uncover my first tap arpeggio on the fretboard being a D minor arpeggio so I jumped right into it and concocted a D minor 7th arpeggio sequence. Now it sounded fine and dandy but problem with it was that it could only be played in one spot on the fretboard and it sounded like a lick more than anything, it did not have the consistency or repeatable nature of lets say scale shapes or sweep arpeggio shapes + it could not be looped(donno if that's a bad thing or not). So I said to my self no problem, I'll just make another arpeggio sequence in another spot of the neck... and this is when I realized that the possibilities are ****ing endless... and that is what is ****ing getting to me... I don't know where to start and where to stop, how many arpeggio shapes should I practice? on how many strings? should they be sequenced or just straight up and down? etc. etc.

So in short, how do you guys make the best usage or tap arpeggios? Any good resources you can point me towards regarding this area of guitar playing??

Answers to the three bolded questions, in order:

As many as you can get your head around.

As many as you can physically manage.

And... yes. Just yes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Learn wich chords are in D minor, learn what notes are in the chords. take the root,3rd and 5th (then 7th or 9th if you like) of that chord and then use those notes and apply tapping to them. You can make it however you want from single string to 5 string or 3 string.

Tapping is used to reach notes you can´t reach otherwise, and shouldent be regarded as something else. Do what you would normally do.

Dont think "shapes" as much. Think more of the sound you want from the arpeggio and add notes to it to make it sound that way.

I´m sorry if this wasent helping, but i hope you got something out of it.

Good luck.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Answers to the three bolded questions, in order:

As many as you can get your head around.

As many as you can physically manage.

And... yes. Just yes.

Ok, your answer is just what my problem is I have spent almost a whole day working on these tap arpeggios and the sheer volume and possibilities to play them is ENDLESS.
I'm in need of a standard cookie cutter way to approach them and once I master that I think I'd be ready to dwell into more complex non standard stuff....
Think of it this way... I need a lesson in tap arpeggios in the style of Paul Gilbert explaining alternative picking in his DVDs Intense Rock I and II.
Quote by CRaul87
Ok, your answer is just what my problem is I have spent almost a whole day working on these tap arpeggios and the sheer volume and possibilities to play them is ENDLESS.
I'm in need of a standard cookie cutter way to approach them and once I master that I think I'd be ready to dwell into more complex non standard stuff....
Think of it this way... I need a lesson in tap arpeggios in the style of Paul Gilbert explaining alternative picking in his DVDs Intense Rock I and II.

Do you know how to tap?

Do you know how to use arpeggios?

If yes to both then you're good to go. If no to one of them you know what you need to work on.

Really, I think you're over-complicating the issue and allowing yourself to be restricted; as long as you know what you're doing it doesn't matter how complex, simple, standard or non-standard it is.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know this is insanely advanced, but it kinda gives you the idea of what you can do and how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ8IfYL9y5s

Watch part 2 and 3 as well and listen to what he is saying. You dont really need to go to that insane theory blast hes giving but starting with the minor pentatonic (for example since its simple) try creating you own lick(s) that you can get flowing and play smoothly adding more strings as you get comfortable with the basic idea

Also another good one, with "easy" first lick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoWk1pOxSdo
^ figure out a way you like to play them.

Then work on that.

The most common ways to tap arps I'm familiar with are EVH style along one string, and then the Greg Howe/Michael Romeo kind of string skipped nonsense. Go see what they have to say on the subject.
Quote by CRaul87

the same could be said for anything on the guitar

It's simple, play what you want to hear.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try learning some ascending tapping patterns in D minor. like do a tapping pattern in one octave on the low E/A strings, and repeat it going up through the octaves. and then when you get to the top of the run try connecting it to a sweep or an alt picking run or something that you are familiar with etc.

for example if you are playing in d harmonic minor in d standard you could play

----------------------------------------------15-19-23-|
-------------------------------------17-16-17----------|
----------------------------12-16-20-------------------|
-------------------14-13-14----------------------------|
----------10-14-18-------------------------------------|
-12-11-12----------------------------------------------|

18(a), 20(g), and 23(e) are tapped, and 10(a), 12(g), and 15(e) are hammered on with the index, and 12(E), 14(d), and 17(b) are hammered with the middle finger.

and at the top of that run you could do something like

-23-19-15--------------|---23-19-15--------------|
----------17-----------|------------19-20-19-16--|
-------------16--------|-------------------------|
----------------17-----|-------------------------|
-------------------19--|-------------------------|
-----------------------|-------------------------|

to lead back into harmonic minor and continue playing one handed techniques etc.

When i learn a new technique i always try to find a way to fuse it with what i already know so i can effectively implement it during an improv. Once you get used to using it in your playing, then you can branch out and learn more shapes and more positions and evolve that style.
Last edited by DiminishDarknut at May 27, 2011,