I was just looking at some guitars on the web and found one with a Kahler Tremelo.

What are the differences between that and a Floyd Rose? Are they better or worse?
Divider (Prog/Ambient Metal)

Guitars:
LTD TE-202
Schecter Sunset Extreme
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Crunch Lab & LiquiFire
Tanglewood Acoustic
Epiphone Acoustic (The Junker)
Floyds are Fulcrum systems, meaning the entire bridge moves, while Kahlers are Cam and roller system where only a part of the bridge moves.

There's no better or worse here, each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Kahlers are easier to install and setup, are way more flexible and adjustable and require less routing, while Floyds generally are a bit more stable in tuning and usually are considered to have "better" tone and more sustain.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Don't watch that. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He compares two guitar brands on just two guitars, one each trem system. To get a fair comparison you would have to use far more then two
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Im gunna go with the noob, you'd have to test it out on a bunch, not to mention he does pickup tests on two different guitars, and even string reviews and whatnot, the problem is that he's running it all through a line 6 spider III, if you wanted a close assumption to how they sounded, I'd listen to them if he played it through a tube amp, or even a nice SS.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by DamagingExcess
Don't watch that. The guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He compares two guitar brands on just two guitars, one each trem system. To get a fair comparison you would have to use far more then two

No he doesn't. If you watched any of his other vids, he often says explicitly many times that you cannot generalise a company with just one guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfnHaPrD3lQ&feature=related
7:20

He has owned several guitars with Kahlers and several with OFR's and LFR's, all the Kahlers he's owned have had the same problems concerning tuning stability. Watch the videos please. He even does a full-on tutorial on how to alleviate the problems. (or at least he did if i could find the vids he put up)

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmometalguitar#p/u/10/JEbg86cE0ck

I'd admit that the titles of some of his vids may be a tad misleading, he is simply comparing the guitars he owns that have similar features to one another and discussing the experiences he has had with the guitars and giving very good advice and useful information in the process.

Terran, what we are talking about here is the tuning stability of the Floyd Rose and Kahler systems on this thread. The kinda amp the guy uses is irrelevent. Was the noob comment really nessesary? I know it's dumb that he uses a Line 6 and he has all those pricey guitars, but it was the guys preference. Let it be. The advice he gives is good regardless and in reality, that's all that matters.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 26, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Terran, what we are talking about here is the tuning stability of the Floyd Rose and Kahler systems on this thread. The kinda amp the guy uses is irrelevent. Was the noob comment really nessesary? I know it's dumb that he uses a Line 6 and he has all those pricey guitars, but it was the guys preference. Let it be. The advice he gives is good regardless and in reality, that's all that matters.

well yes it's about stability, HOWEVER, again, he uses two different guitars, yes he says he knows you'd have to try them all, but that doesnt change the fact that he doesnt use many to demo them. I can say I know not every gibson regardless if the same series etc sounds different, if I only demo one, and then another other guitar with just the same specs, of course it will varry. As for the Noob comment, it was faster, it doesn't always mean something bad. To the amp comment, I know it's irrelivent to THAT topic, but for the demo's he does of things, I tend not to bother with his demo's unless they are the same guitar, only way to get an accurate test. As such he did on the floyd/kahler trem video.
Still, drives me that he has those many guitars costing thousands of dollars, and won't let them really live in anything nicer then a cheap digital amp. those poor guitars.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
He uses quite a few guitars to demonstrate the point that Kahlers have a tuning stability problem. 3 guitars (4 if you count the guy who did the response video in the 'fix Kahler's tuning stability problem' vid), all with Kahlers and they all had the same problem with going out of tune when you bend a string. He fixed the problem by his tutorial instructions and does (or at least did) a great job of explaining the issues and how to combat them.

its true that no two guitars are the same, but buying and testing multiple models of the same guitar usually isn't possible. At least with his comparisons you can get a decent idea of what the guitars are like. If he comes across a certain guitar with many flaws, at proves that the guitars being manufactured are inconsistent and the manufacturer is allowing them to squeeze through QC.
The videos are fascinating because the guitars he talks about are very expensive and not a single one of his guitars have been free of at least some kind of problem. It just reinforces the fact that you have to try before you buy.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee