Im just wondering what some of your alls opinions on the Marshall Class5 is...this is for a friend who is interested in this particular amp.

Thanks
I hate all of you...my opinion is my own...take it or leave it
I tried the first series, I think they're making new versions now.

It's actually pretty good for overdrive sounds, but in order to get overdrive you need to turn up the volume. Even though it's not a very big amp, it's way too loud for bedroom use. If you can crank it, then it's pretty good.

I personally think it's kind of lacking in features for the price (compared to, say, Jet City, but they're ridiculously cheap) but it's still a pretty decent sounding amp.
Alright, thanks. I told him to look into Jet City amps and (for some reason) he was stuck on the Class5...I'll tell him about this because he is a bedroom player, not a gigging musician

EDIT: Actually he was looking into the Class5 and the Dave Mustaine signature mini-stack...

this:
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/marshall-mg-series-mg15fxmsdm-dave-mustaine-megastack-amp-head-and-cabinet
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 26, 2011,
The Jet City has a master volume, and higher gain if you need it. It's also cheaper. If you want overdrive tones in that price range, I would highly recommend it. However, it's clean tones aren't that great. They're kind of compressed sounding, and it begins to distort with the gain on 3. If clean sounds are a priority, have a look at Laney's LC15 and VC15.

The Mustaine Mini stack is just an MG15. I have nothing good to say about that amp.
He mainly plays classic rock (like 70's rock...namely the Eagles, SOME Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Eric Clapton)....stuff like that
The Class5 will get him to classic rock easily. The older ones don't have a Master Volume though, so it will get damn loud before it starts to OD.

I think revision 2 has an MV or power scaling or something like that.

Also, punch him in the jaw for looking at that MG.
The class 5 should be able to handle all of what he plays fairly well but I would still go with the Jet City. I think that for the price, it really can't be beat. It very well may be my next purchase...The only trouble that he's going to have is going to be with the cleans. And I don't remember the Class 5 as having great cleans either, so...
New class 5 has a built in attenuator and a 12 inch speaker (I think). It's pretty much made for classic rock and only classic rock so it's worth trying out if that's all he really plays.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
He mainly plays classic rock (like 70's rock...namely the Eagles, SOME Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Eric Clapton)....stuff like that

so your friend plays the same stuff you do. cool.

class 5 and a decent od pedal hits that stuff all day long.
Dont you own a Blackstar?

Surely you should get him to buy a HT5?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
wait for the new...

ooops.

tell your friend to wait for the new head version coming out.
Class 5 and an OCD or something.

That Dave Mustaine "stack" is just an overpriced mg15.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by gregs1020
wait for the new...

ooops.

tell your friend to wait for the new head version coming out.

theyre out i believe.
not bad, but £330? Come on.
Quote by beckyjc
theyre out i believe.
not bad, but £330? Come on.

yea probably by you. they haven't hit my local store yet. i'm sure they have one or two on order though so it should be within a month or so here.
Quote by Seref
The Class5 will get him to classic rock easily. The older ones don't have a Master Volume though, so it will get damn loud before it starts to OD.

I think revision 2 has an MV or power scaling or something like that.

Also, punch him in the jaw for looking at that MG.

HAHA...i told him that he was f*ckin retarded for lookin at it....his only come back was "...but its used by Dave Mustaine!"
Quote by gregs1020
so your friend plays the same stuff you do. cool.

I introduced him to guitar...and i basically introduced him to all these bands as well...he's an avid dumbass when it comes to music (tho these bands are really good)
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dont you own a Blackstar?

Surely you should get him to buy a HT5?

Ya i bought the HT-60 soloist. Next time i see him i'll tell him to look into the HT-5s and stuff
Holy multiple posts batman. Use the edit button.

A Class 5 for that type of music will murder a HT-5 and dance on it's grave naked in the moonlight.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Class 5 is a nice little amp. I thought about buying one for a while but it wasn't really suited for me. Sweet 70s rock tones though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Cathbard
Holy multiple posts batman. Use the edit button.

A Class 5 for that type of music will murder a HT-5 and dance on it's grave naked in the moonlight.

Sorry 'bout that

HAHAHAHAHA....well....

So BASICALLY what you all are saying, is that if he wants it...he needs to buy a good overdrive/distortion/gain pedal with it.
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 27, 2011,
A good boost or overdrive would be nice to go with it, say a tubescreamer or maybe a nice EQ pedal like an MXR 10. To do the styles mentioned though it can all be achieved by simply cranking the sucka up real loud and using your guitar's volume knob to clean it up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Alright. Thanks! I'll let him read these post and let him decide if he wants to go through with it.
Quote by Smcash
The class 5 should be able to handle all of what he plays fairly well

Quote by Seref
The Class5 will get him to classic rock easily..

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Strat007
Class 5 and an OCD or something.

Quote by shadow__666
The Class 5 is a nice little amp. Sweet 70s rock tones.

Quote by Cathbard
A good boost or overdrive would be nice to go with it, say a tubescreamer ...

Quote by B.C. RICH5000
So BASICALLY what you all are saying, is that if he wants it...he needs to buy a good overdrive/distortion/gain pedal with it.

Last edited by gregs1020 at May 27, 2011,
The Class 5 is a fun little amp.

Every time I plug into one, I have to play "Rock 'n Roll". It's perfect for album Zeppelin.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.