Hey is the Gallien Krueger 400rb bass head any good? I'm rather new to bass and I'm looking for a good bass amp or head. There is one in stock used for $200 at my closest guitar center. I'm just wondering of this is a good deal? It looks like it might be an older model because it doesn't look like the newer ones. Sorry I can't post a pic, my computer isn't working right.
I love my 400rb.

Shoot... i even sold my 800rb, because my 400rb got more use.

I gig it, practice with it, and record with it. Mine is one of the early 80's versions, with the attached power cord. IMHO, the new ones don't sound AS good, but they push a few more watts.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
$200 is a pretty good deal. As long as it's in good shape I say go for it.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
There is also a peavey mark vi bass head in stock used for $150. Is this a good deal. Is it as good as the Gallien Krueger or better. Which one do you recommend I buy?
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
They're both excellent heads, I'm tempted to say that the peavey would be more rugged, as the old Peavey stuff were built like tanks. They're both great prices, so either one will do you fine. Go and try them both out if you can and see which one you prefer.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Just watch out for the fan. That's the only thing that goes out on GKs. I've had to have the fan on my 400rb replaced a few times.
Crackers! Crackers! But no squeezy cheese!! You've broken my secret elbow!!!
Quote by gtrzrule4
There is also a peavey mark vi bass head in stock used for $150. Is this a good deal. Is it as good as the Gallien Krueger or better. Which one do you recommend I buy?

I sold my Mark VI and kept my 400rb.

The peavey is higher wattage... the GK just sounds much better (imho)... i loved the Peavey because it had a very sterile tone... That, coupled with it's higher wattage (400w @ 4ohms, IIRC) were GREAT when using a large pedal-board.

But, gone are the days of a 25 pedal pedal-board, and a new-love of clean(er) bass... so the GK stayed and i sold the Peavey (haha, for like $40) to a rad lil' punk kid... gotta help the next generation!!!
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by gtrzrule4

I have the Mark VIII which is from the same series of amps, only slight differences.

I cant speak for the GK because ive never tried it, but the mark is a very good amp. Gets loud as hell and it gives a nice tone. $150 is a good price for it, you'll usually see them around that price, sometimes $200.
pinga