So, I'm looking to get my first expensive guitar and I would like to know your guys opinions, I have between £800 and £1000 to spend and I'm only looking at Gibsons for the reason that they are the only guitars that really suit my style of music as well as the fact that I love the feel and shape of most of their guitars.

I play mostly rock.. Punk rock, hard rock, classic rock however on the odd occasion I play some blues and metal.

I've narrowed it down to four guitars however if you have any other suggestions feel free to post:

1) Billie Joe Les Paul Jr. - I'll admit I'm a pretty big Green Day fan so that's partly the reason I love this guitar, however the fact it comes with a hard case is a big selling point form me too. Also I like the fact the pickups are hum cancelling. Plus I heard the finish is nicer on the sig model, not sure if this is true, not had the chance to try one quite yet. Also this is probably my favourite sounding guitar with the exeption of £3000 customs etc..

Also before you hate on this guitar just because you dislike green day you should check out some videos on it, it sounds really nice.

2) Standard Les Paul Jr. - obvious reason for considering this guitar, the price as it would allow me to spend the extra on getting a peavy vavleking that I've been looking at. Drawbacks are the fact that it comes with no hard case, finish and the pickups.

3) SG Standard (or other) - I've not really researched this guitar much so I'm unsure of the model I would be best with, if you guys have any ideas on what would best suit my style of music that would be much appriciated. Love the tone of this guitar and I hear good things about it.

4) Studio - I'm unlikely to go for this as I have tiny hands and I hear the neck is pretty wide on the studios but I wanted to hear your guys opinions on it none the less.

So what do you think i would be best going with? Like I say if you have any other suggestions that would be much appreciated. Also before anyone says, I will try these guitars before I buy, I just won't have the opportunity to do so for a while. Thanks.
Last edited by AndrewW500 at May 26, 2011,
If you're worried about neck shapes, SG's tend to have a wide flatter neck.

To be honest, the studio would probably have the right sound, just try one out when you can eventually and really see if the neck is a problem.
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
I thought this was going to be about guitars in the future.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I thought this was going to be about guitars in the future.

Fixed it :P
Quote by AndrewW500
Fixed it :P

What did you change?
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I'd say the Studio or SG Standard would be your best bet out of those four. Both will do a great job with any type of rock, but the Studio would do Jazz a bit better just because of the thicker sound you'll get from it.

Just go play them if you can, and decide. You need to be sure you like the feel of the guitar. And in my search for a Studio a few months ago, I really noticed some quality differences, so definitely try out a few and get the one with the best finish, fret work, etc. You most likely won't have to search much for a Standard model Gibson, but again, it is good to be sure that you like the feel.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
i'm confused on why you feel that only a gibson will get yo the sound you want seems like you are limiting yourself from exploring options that may allow you a better chance to get your own sound etc. just wondering.
I'm a huge Gibson fan but I agree with monwobobbo. Definitely try out a few guitars and then buy your Les Paul.

I like my LP Studio. I have the Alpine white one with an Ebony fretboard. My hands are not huge either and I have no issues here. The only hand issues anyone buying a gibson might have is the upper frets might be out of reach but I rarely play above 14. If I needed better access I'd probably get a LP doublecut.
Im not stuck on Gibsons, Im happy to take suggestions, Gibsons just seemed to produce a really nice sound that I liked plus I love the design of most of their guitars and the shape is just ideal for me. So like I say, if you have any other brands or models you think I should consider then I'm more than happy to.

For the person who suggested the ES-339, I really like that guitar and if I could afford it then it would be a huge consideration. However my maximum is no more than £1000.
Quote by AndrewW500
Im not stuck on Gibsons, Im happy to take suggestions, Gibsons just seemed to produce a really nice sound that I liked plus I love the design of most of their guitars and the shape is just ideal for me. So like I say, if you have any other brands or models you think I should consider then I'm more than happy to.

For the person who suggested the ES-339, I really like that guitar and if I could afford it then it would be a huge consideration. However my maximum is no more than £1000.

Have you looked at the Schecter Solo Vintage? MF has it for $600. Similar features as a Gibson Les Paul Studio, but at a lower cost. Plus the neck is a little thinner, you have better upper fret access (not a whole lot, but noticeable), and you get a coil split!

There's also the ESP LTD EC-401VF for $630. It's more of an SG-type sound (the body is thinner), but it does any type of rock well.

And you could also look at Gretsch. They have several well-priced solid-bodies, but I'm not sure how many come with humbuckers. Would do Jazz great though.

Those are just a few other options you could look at.
Quote by Skynyrd890
Have you looked at the Schecter Solo Vintage? MF has it for $600. Similar features as a Gibson Les Paul Studio, but at a lower cost. Plus the neck is a little thinner, you have better upper fret access (not a whole lot, but noticeable), and you get a coil split!

There's also the ESP LTD EC-401VF for $630. It's more of an SG-type sound (the body is thinner), but it does any type of rock well.

And you could also look at Gretsch. They have several well-priced solid-bodies, but I'm not sure how many come with humbuckers. Would do Jazz great though.

Those are just a few other options you could look at.

I'm not a big fan of vintage style guitars, so Gretsch probably wouldnt be a great choice for me. I actually really like ESP guitars I just haven't had the time to check all the models out yet. I love the look of that EC-401VF and obviously there is a huge price difference. I will have to try one out as its a possibility.

Edit:

Hadn't realised you had already posted above, sorry, ignore the last part of that post.

Thanks
Last edited by AndrewW500 at May 27, 2011,
of the SGs, i would go for a standard that has the coil taps in it for the sake of versatility. Also, i know its Epiphone, but check out the Tribute Les Paul Standard. Comes stock with '57 classic Gibson pickups and locking tuners and a choice of neck profiles. Definitely seems like it would be worth checking out for you
Quote by shecter guy
of the SGs, i would go for a standard that has the coil taps in it for the sake of versatility. Also, i know its Epiphone, but check out the Tribute Les Paul Standard. Comes stock with '57 classic Gibson pickups and locking tuners and a choice of neck profiles. Definitely seems like it would be worth checking out for you

Ok, thanks, I've been checking out the ESP website and I've found a few that I will have to take a look at and get more info on and I will check out the epiphone too looks like a nice guitar.

Thanks again, appreciate it
I would say an LP studio.

But, you could get a nice Epi LP custom and mod it out and save some money, basically getting the same guitar but with some personal modifications.

and hardshell cases should not be a deciding factor when buying a guitar. Most of the factory cases you will get with the guitar are not that good, and hard shell cases aren't that expensive anyways. I would look at SKB, Gator Cases or Coffin Case.

Edit: Have you checked out Schecter or some of the offerings from ESP/LTD? While they are not direct LP copies, they do have a similar sound, and smaller necks.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at May 27, 2011,
Quote by AndrewW500
I'm not a big fan of vintage style guitars, so Gretsch probably wouldnt be a great choice for me. I actually really like ESP guitars I just haven't had the time to check all the models out yet. I love the look of that EC-401VF and obviously there is a huge price difference. I will have to try one out as its a possibility.

Edit:

Hadn't realised you had already posted above, sorry, ignore the last part of that post.

Thanks

No problem!
Have you tried the Schechters? Some of them I've got on with, some I haven't. Definitely worth a try