iam using d addario exl 116 sfrings 11-52 on my strat 70 model, question is are these strings too thick for my guitar becausethe low E string only just fits into the groove on the tuner with a little bit of force, also the brdge is raised out of its slot, i dont know if this is normal cause its my first fender and only had it for a month, is my my guitar meant to be be used with sfrings of this thickness, or might it damage it
if anything the neck will bow inward and you'll have to get it adjusted to fit the tension the thicker strings will bring to it, no problem though, it'll sound sexy
YES, lower the tuning right away! Too much tension! Those gauge strings should only be used for C/B Standard. Even adjusting the bridge to fix the intonation, there is way too much tension. YOU WILL BREAK IT! Just tune the strings down immediately to this tuning:

http://www.chorder.com/online-guitar-tuner/CFBbEbGC-c_guitar_tuning
Last edited by HYPERZEPHARIAN at May 26, 2011,
those strings are fine. if the bridge is raised you need to adjust the spring tension. thats all there is to it really.

well, that and maybe a truss rod adjustment.
IF ANYTHING THEY ARE TOO SMALLLL!!! ADJUST THAT TRUSS ROD AND GET 18's!?! YOU THINK YOU'RE STEVIE RAY VAUGHN?!?
Quote by marshmellow666
if anything the neck will bow inward and you'll have to get it adjusted to fit the tension the thicker strings will bring to it, no problem though, it'll sound sexy

If the neck bends, that means the truss rod has FAILED, and your Strat 70 Model is now $500 firewood. :O
Last edited by HYPERZEPHARIAN at May 26, 2011,
I'm not trying to worry you, by the way, you can leave those strings on, just tune them MUCH lower, man.
Quote by HYPERZEPHARIAN
If the neck bends, that means the truss rod has FAILED, and your Strat 70 Model is now $750 firewood. :O

Be quiet.

11-52s are fine, but as with any change of string gauge, you will have to adjust your guitar hardware to compensate.

You may want to add more springs to the bridge to keep it steady, as I expect you have 3 out of the 5 available slots in use, try using four (two a side, gap in the middle) or the full five to make sure it doesnt raise too much when left alone.

Your truss rod may need tightening to compensate for the added tension, but follow a guide and do not rush, 1/4 turn a day max to see how much it needs.

Your bridge saddles may need adjusting to maintain the intonation, but this should be relatively easy. Look up guides on how to do these jobs if you dont already know, but take care when doing so.

And no, your strings arent too thick for your strat, but it seems HYPERZEPHARIAN is too thick for this thread.
Last edited by mishax92 at May 26, 2011,
Theyre fine, adjust the Truss rod, tighten your bridge springs. Trust me, i use 13s =p
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Last edited by BobChicken at May 26, 2011,
Quote by HYPERZEPHARIAN
If the neck bends, that means the truss rod has FAILED, and your Strat 70 Model is now $500 firewood. :O

Even if that were to happen (it won't) all you would need to do is replace the neck, the entire guitar is not ruined. Fail.
Quote by HYPERZEPHARIAN
I'm not trying to worry you, by the way, you can leave those strings on, just tune them MUCH lower, man.

Or, you know, he could leave it in standard. It'll be fine after adjusting the bridge and truss rod. I have all my guitars in standard with 11s on them, and they're all fine. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
Why would anybody use thick strings for standard tuning anyway? I use 11's and don't go any higher than C# tuning.
Quote by Black Hazard
Why would anybody use thick strings for standard tuning anyway? I use 11's and don't go any higher than C# tuning.

ewww... I use 13s for standard, 25.5 inch scale. aside from the tighter feel, bigger strings give a fuller, more robust sound.
^Much, MUCH better sounding. At least to me, and to quite a few other people =]

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

Quote by Black Hazard

SRV used super thick strings because they give absolutely brilliant tone, especially for cleaner playing and blues.

However, it was at a cost, strings as thick as 14s and higher can really damage your fingertips, he had to super glue his fingertips back together to keep playing due to how badly the force required to play them cut them up.
You should be fine, I run the exact same size. All you should need is to tighten down the tremolo claw and that should bring the bridge down, or add more springs.
Quote by kolonelkadat
ewww... I use 13s for standard, 25.5 inch scale. aside from the tighter feel, bigger strings give a fuller, more robust sound.

Ew?

And they are 11-54's. When I had my guitar in Drop C# it felt like a guitar would in standard tuning with standard size strings. I can only imagine if I tuned to standard it would feel and play like shit.
ok "wiping sweat from my brow" thanks, is it ok to leave it the way it is now or should i slackin the strings till i find out how i adjust the bridge and truss rod?
Quote by Black Hazard
Ew?

And they are 11-54's. When I had my guitar in Drop C# it felt like a guitar would in standard tuning with standard size strings. I can only imagine if I tuned to standard it would feel and play like shit.

*Like a real man's guitar

Quote by phlip999

Quote by Black Hazard

Because thicker strings = the sex.

Quote by HYPERZEPHARIAN
YES, lower the tuning right away! Too much tension! Those gauge strings should only be used for C/B Standard. Even adjusting the bridge to fix the intonation, there is way too much tension. YOU WILL BREAK IT! Just tune the strings down immediately to this tuning:

http://www.chorder.com/online-guita...c_guitar_tuning

Get the **** out....no really....just leave.

PLENTY of people have used thick strings for standard, there is not "too much tension" it's called a truss rod adjustment and adjusting/adding springs on the tremolo, He'll be fine.

Learn your shit before you start saying crazy things for someone who's looking for help.

TS: Just file the nut slots a little bit so they fit better, graphite in the nut, add some springs, tune 'er up, and rock out, you'll be fine, and thick strings just sound awesome.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at May 26, 2011,
Quote by Black Hazard
Ew?

Sure it'd be slightly harder to play, but once your finger muscles got used to it the tone would be fantastic, so much more beef and clarity to the sound.
Quote by skilly1
ok "wiping sweat from my brow" thanks, is it ok to leave it the way it is now or should i slackin the strings till i find out how i adjust the bridge and truss rod?

I would go ahead and slacken it enough so that its playable for now. then buy some more springs when the shop opens in the morning.

but I mean, really it doesnt matter if you dont want to play it. between then and now
They're fine. I've got 11's on mine now, and I have done no truss rod adjustment. Plays fine, the neck looks fine, it's just fine. Not to say you shouldn't adjust it just to remove the extra bit of stress, but if you don't do that it's not going to hurt anything. My only real worry would be the trem being un-level, but as stated, a few springs will fix that.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at May 26, 2011,
Quote by Black Hazard
Ew?

You clearly don't have MAN HANDS.

When you have MAN HANDS, anything thinner than .10 feels like a rubberband, and snaps just as easy.

Seriously though, I can barely ever play new guitars instore because they're always strung with .09's, and I can snap those with my bare hands they're so skinny. Meanwhile, I can dance on anything with fat strings, and I can actually play acoustics very well. Why, you ask? Because I have MAN HANDS!

So I'd definitely have to beg to differ from experience on .11's in E feeling and playing like shit. I honestly think they play and feel much better, which is why I use them. I also use them because I have dysgraphia, meaning I don't have very accurate fine motor skills. As a result, my handwriting is awful, and heavier strings make it a lot easier for me to play, as the bigger, more forceful motions that don't leave my hands cramping after a few minutes are actually pitch-accurate on heavier strings. Or in other words, I am physically forced to have MAN HANDS. It's better than it sounds.

Quote by skilly1

Personally, I'd slacken the strings just to be safe. Worst case, you'll have to retune it for no real reason. Better safe than sorry, strings of any gauge pulling a lot more than they're supposed to can be bad.

And here's a setup guide for you, courtesy of Jenny from the Who To Listen To list, so you can get it playing asap:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

Best of luck mate, enjoy it once it's back to how you like it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Black Hazard

I use 12's...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by mishax92
SRV used super thick strings because they give absolutely brilliant tone, especially for cleaner playing and blues.

However, it was at a cost, strings as thick as 14s and higher can really damage your fingertips, he had to super glue his fingertips back together to keep playing due to how badly the force required to play them cut them up.

I would say that's a rumour as I've played with 15s for a long time 15-75 [about 5-6 years before i went down to 13s], no such things as damaged finger tips or supergluing tips.

And i must say, I LOVED bending to all hell. Halfway across the fretboard they did go.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
I would say that's a rumour as I've played with 15s for a long time 15-75 [about 5-6 years before i went down to 13s], no such things as damaged finger tips or supergluing tips.

And i must say, I LOVED bending to all hell. Halfway across the fretboard they did go.

JEEZUS Deadlock, that's ridiculous.

Anyway... I use 12-56 in standard. MAN STRINGS.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by HYPERZEPHARIAN

Those strings are fine. The tuss rod is supposed to make the neck bend dipshit.

The string gauge dictates how many springs to put in the trem and how much tension from the tuss rod to make neck bend in proper direction...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by kolonelkadat
those strings are fine. if the bridge is raised you need to adjust the spring tension. thats all there is to it really.

well, that and maybe a truss rod adjustment.

ive taken the back off, how do i adjust the spring tension now?
All this time and you've only just taken off the back now?, let alone not knowing what to do after everyone told you.

You screw the spring claw closer to the body for more tension.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
yes, i just left it, but the strings seem to be too high, this should lower them right? ive never done anything to a guitar before so i wanna make sure i do it right, do i leave the strings tuned the way they are whilst tightening the screws and will the bridge then go back down

thanks
i've used way thicker strings then that in standard on a lower quality guitar, it'll be fine
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
should i just tighten the screws or add more springs and do both, i have 3 in place at the moment, snd where can i purchase them for my guitar? thanks
TS, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow at .11s. Many jazz players use .13+ guage strings to get really fat sounding chords in standard tuning. They don't perform bends so it is practical for them.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.