I am filled with a burning desire to develop a home studio capable of recording, mixing, and mastering music composed of vocals, acoustic guitar, synth, electronic drum beats, Midi sounds, and keyboard. I want it to sound professional; or at least professionally lo-fi. What programs/equipment do I need for this? I own nothing other than a guitar. Thanks
Go to Musicians friend's website. Buy their Tascam US-1641 recording package. It comes with an interface, the monitors, 2 mics, 2 cables for the mics, and 2 boom stands for the mics.

Nextly, buy all the instruments you want to record.

Assuming your budget calls for it, this is a pretty good setup IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
What about software?
and do I need a preamp or can I just plug keyboard and synths directly into the computer to record?
You'll need Pro Tools or Logic, basically some DAW. Logic is more user friendly and comes with more plug ins but Pro Tools is basically the industry standard.
Quote by 13thorderbass
You'll need Pro Tools or Logic, basically some DAW. Logic is more user friendly and comes with more plug ins but Pro Tools is basically the industry standard.

There are many other types of DAWs. Logic is only availble for Mac, and I have been told Pro Tools has a high learning curve.

Start with Reaper and work your way up software wise if you want.
Say I plugged an electric guitar directly into the computer and I had one of those programs running, would I be able to add effects to the guitar through it? Also, if I plugged a MIDI keyboard in would I be able to sample various tones using the program?
For guitar you would want a guitar amp simulator and impulse loader

For MIDI you would need synth VSTis

You should read up on VST, VSTis, AU, and the other one I can't remeber lol
Are these VSTs separate software or do I just download them to my recording interface?