I'm 13 and I don't know if I should get a guitar teacher or not.I seem to be doing well on my own,but would It benefit me more if I got a teacher?
Define "doing well"

In most instances..yes..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Only reason to get a teacher is if you don't have the drive on your own to practice things or even learn what to practice. The internet has a ton of info on theory, so why bother with a teacher?
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Skynyrd890
Only reason to get a teacher is if you don't have the drive on your own to practice things or even learn what to practice. The internet has a ton of info on theory, so why bother with a teacher?

Please don't listen to this take on things. I'd be lying of course to say that having a teacher is mandatory to becoming a good guitarist, but I speak from experience with both methods that I can guarantee you it'll happen a lot easier and a lot faster if you find a good teacher, emphasis on finding the right guy, not settling. The internet is a huge source of information, but it will never replace one-on-one instruction from an experienced player specific to your needs.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
Please don't listen to this take on things. I'd be lying of course to say that having a teacher is mandatory to becoming a good guitarist, but I speak from experience with both methods that I can guarantee you it'll happen a lot easier and a lot faster if you find a good teacher, emphasis on finding the right guy, not settling. The internet is a huge source of information, but it will never replace one-on-one instruction from an experienced player specific to your needs.

+1

I played for years before taking lessons, and I wish I had found a techer from the beginning. I've learned many songs from tabs or youtube, but There's just nothing like having a good teacher that can show you what you may be doing wrong that will limit your ability later on down the road. Within the first year of taking lessons once a week I was playing WAY better than I was after something like 8 years on my own. For some people the guitar just clicks. Others, like me, practice seemingly endlessly with gradual improvement. Finding a good teacher is probably one of the best things you can do.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
teachers not only teach you techniques and theory, but they teach you process and order. a teacher will help you learn not only how to physically play a guitar, but how to improvise well. you'll progress faster and become a better guitarist with the help of an instructor, generally speaking.
Thanks everyone."Define Good" ummm I started when I was 11 and now i'm 13 and can play "Master of Puppets"
Quote by J-dog-Ibanez
Thanks everyone."Define Good" ummm I started when I was 11 and now i'm 13 and can play "Master of Puppets"

Get a teacher. You haven't even started to learn guitar yet.
I'm another who has gone through periods of independent study and formal instruction. While its true that a teacher isn't necessary to learn to play, they do have their benefits, most of which boil down to this: teachers teach you how to learn.

After some formal lessons, you'll definitely be better able to teach yourself things...and you'll minimize bad habits as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
A teacher can teach you his/her experience, and correct your problems immediatelly.
Maybe you can have a teacher for one or two months.And then consider that whether you become better to decide to have a teacher or not.
If you have the drive to have spent two years learning on your own at your age then you should definitely work with a teacher. You're the student teachers love to have, because you don't need someone to teach you to play guitar. What you need is someone to help you lift yourself up to a higher level. Contacting older, experienced players in your area and find a teacher who has the experience to work with serious students.