Hey guys, I got one of these old Craftsman Routers that I'm borrowing from this old dude, but guess what? I CAN'T MAKE THE ****ING BITS LOCK!!!!!! So, yeah, any help at all would be greatly appreciate.

Rock Out, Peace Out, and I'd make this my signature if I knew how
What are you trying to do to tighten it that's not working?

EDIT: Sorry, I should clarify. On my craftsman router there's a mechanism to lock the collet from turning, is there one on that and have you used it? On other routers I've seen there have been two separate places (collet and a nut or something like that on the shaft of the router) that you need to use wrenches for, one tightening and the other holding in place.

^Like he said, is the shaft of the bit the correct size for the collet?
Last edited by TheZephyrSon at May 26, 2011,
erm.......if collect=hole that I put the bit in, then yeah, I'm pretty sure since it's his bits that he uses with this router. And there's three nut things, one's like, thick thick and goes closest the the bottom, then a regular looking nut goes on, then a brass looking something-or-another with some wide (relatively) notches on it.

I'm used to one with just a thing you push up and it unlocks and then you push down to lock it, this is all nuts.
Quote by LZRocker
erm.......if collect=hole that I put the bit in, then yeah, I'm pretty sure since it's his bits that he uses with this router. And there's three nut things, one's like, thick thick and goes closest the the bottom, then a regular looking nut goes on, then a brass looking something-or-another with some wide (relatively) notches on it.

I'm used to one with just a thing you push up and it unlocks and then you push down to lock it, this is all nuts.

Yeah, what you mention at the end is what I have.

If this is all nuts, then you need two wrenches to tighten it. Any chance of a picture? That would help quite a bit. If not its fine, but basically you should just need to put one wrench on one nut and another on the collet. Then tighten.