Hello my fellow Bassists,
I've been tossing up between a ESP LTD F-104 Bass or a Fender Precision Bass, I can't make a decision so I decided to come to you guys. My budget is tight I have about $800 (AUD) to spend.

Thank you all in advance.
what genre are you going for? either way fender p bass. P bas is always the right answer.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Apples and oranges. Ones an all time classic, and one is more modern. They look different, feel different, and have completely different features.

Pick whichever one you like more, they're pretty much polar opposites. I'd say Precision all day long, but that's just coming from a Precision owner who happens to dislike all things ESP/LTD.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by the_perdestrian
what genre are you going for? either way fender p bass. P bas is always the right answer.

At the moment I'm into hardcore stuff like Parkway Drive and what not. But I do alternate between softer and harder music. I've been thinking the P Bass is the way to go, but i'm not sure if it has the sound I'm looking for...
if you throw some seymour duncan quarter pounders in a p bass i think it'd have a good tone for the type of music you want to play.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
As others have said Polar opposite basses here.

the P bass is an all time classic whereas the F-104 is very modern. I owned the B-104 (the cousin to your F104) and I sold it after just a few months, while at the same time I own three P basses.

If that tells you anything.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
LTDs are shit value for money down here. There's a used MIM P on OzBassForum at the moment for $590, you could probably talk him down a bit too, I'd go with that. Failing that you get used MIJ/CIJ Fender Ps on eBay for below your budget as well.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
LTDs are shit value for money down here. There's a used MIM P on OzBassForum at the moment for $590, you could probably talk him down a bit too, I'd go with that. Failing that you get used MIJ/CIJ Fender Ps on eBay for below your budget as well.

a used Made in Mexico P bass for $590? that is the biggest ripoff ever. i'm trying to sell my used american p bass and i'm only asking $500.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
a used Made in Mexico P bass for $590? that is the biggest ripoff ever. i'm trying to sell my used american p bass and i'm only asking $500.

The price he was talking about is AUD not USD.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
The price he was talking about is AUD not USD.

ahh that makes more sense. everytime i see $ i just assume its the US dollar.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by consecutive e

I can get a F-104 from Musos corner for around $516, and I can get a Standard Series P bass from them for $796. :/ Does anyone else have any trusted stores that you can recommend?
I know this isnt where you sell guitars/basses on the forum but if your interested in a 3 month old F-404 for pretty damn cheap PM me, great condition etc. I live in Sydney.
Last edited by tofuhead at May 26, 2011,
I'd just recommend playing both to figure out what you like more. I'm not really crazy about the feel of most Fender basses, but I love ESP.