Yeah, so I'm looking to retube my Peavey Delta Blues (30W combo). I have pre tubes; just need a good solid set of EL84s. I want clean tones with some real beef to them, but without getting muddy. As for distortion, I want to have a nice lightly dirty tone for bluesy solos in addition to a more Zeppelin-esque chunk as I turn the gain up.

This is with a Strat with stock pickups, and I'm going to be gigging. The price should be reasonable, as I don't have too much to spend.

Suggestions?
Just a heads-up: you're not going to get live Zepp tone with a 30W EL84 amp.

That said, I think JJs are decent EL84 tubes. Nobody really makes a truly exceptional one these days.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^ You are correct. I'm not looking to replicate Page, but that's the general idea that I'm going for.

ANYHOO so JJ's? Cool. Where is the best place to buy them?
You can find Groove Tubes EL84s in most music stores, those are just generic tubes, used mostly by Fender and a few other manufacturers.

For more of a selection, I would check out tubedepot.com. they have pretty much every tube you could think of.

As for price, I haven't seen a set of matched tubes go for under $60 in a long time.

And don't forget the pre-amp tubes either - tube amp rule of thumb is you always replace the pre-amp tubes when you replace the power tubes, and vice versa.

Just be glad you don't have a bigger amp - it cost me $250 to replace my 4 6L6 and 5 12ax7 tubes last year. that hurt. A lot.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
pete never said he wanted the zep LIVE tone tho. he just mentioned zep.

for EL84s, i like JJ. i buy them from tubedepot.com but ebay works too. and a matched quad of JJ EL84s are like $40? i think. if you get two matched pairs, i think they'll make it a matched quad for you... you should email them for confirmation tho.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at May 26, 2011,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
SO THEN. I just popped the tubes in my amp, and they sound LOVELY.

Also, I found that one of my old power tubes had a hole in it. Just a straight up hole in the top of the thing.
yea that's a problem. the tubes with holes let all the fragile harmonics escape.
So what did you actually buy?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gregs1020
yea that's a problem. the tubes with holes let all the fragile harmonics escape.

G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Just a heads-up: you're not going to get live Zepp tone with a 30W EL84 amp.

That said, I think JJs are decent EL84 tubes. Nobody really makes a truly exceptional one these days.

says who? Page has been using Orange AD30's a fair bit recently, and guess what that is. a 30W EL84 amp.
^ Says me.

And Page sucked after '78.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by guitarted
says who? Page has been using Orange AD30's a fair bit recently, and guess what that is. a 30W EL84 amp.

those are 200 watt orange/matamps n00b.

saw him in the early 90s, and he didn't suck.