As some of you all might have seen, i recently decided to sell my ampeg vh-140c for a 5150.

Tonight as i was playing on the vh140c, the volume began to swell without me touching anything. It would get quiet for a few seconds then return to normal volume and so on.

After a bit of research, it seems that one of the power amps is failing. (for those of you who dont know, the vh-140c is powered by two 70 watt power amps)

As you all can probably imagine, i am very upset/angry/sad right now and im not sure what to do. If my amp is totaled, not only can i not sell it for the price i had planned, but i also have nothing to play on, not to mention that im in no financial condition to be buying a new amp right now...any help or advice from anyone would be appreciated
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by zerkein
Is it tube?

no it is a solid state head
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
It might just be the cables you use too. Sometimes the wires come loose on the cable heads. Happens to me alot, and maybe that's the only problem.
zapatista89 wrote:

you know the music from zelda that plays when you open a chest? that played in my head reading that headline.

Quote by Swannie
dammit we're the guitar players! why don't we have all the chicks?!
How much were you planning on selling it for?

One of the problems I dislike about SS amps is how repair unfriendly they are. Once something breaks, its actually cheaper buying a new whole amp than trying to fix it.

Sorry dude, unless you're a really friendly terms with a tech, and he as a replacement power amp that he's willing to give you, the repairs will probably cost more than the amount you were planning to sell the amp for.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Don't assume the worst until you know for sure. Stay calm. Check all of the obvious things. Make sure all cables are good, and make sure the outlet the amp is plugged into isn't bad.
Wait, so you decided to sell a VH140C... for a 5150??

*leaves thread*
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by ragingkitty
How much were you planning on selling it for?

One of the problems I dislike about SS amps is how repair unfriendly they are. Once something breaks, its actually cheaper buying a new whole amp than trying to fix it.

Sorry dude, unless you're a really friendly terms with a tech, and he as a replacement power amp that he's willing to give you, the repairs will probably cost more than the amount you were planning to sell the amp for.

i was planning on asking like 350 but this is what i was afraid of...

so what do you all suggest i do? I doubt i can get much for it now on the used market
Quote by wolvenrick
Last edited by chrisg7 at May 26, 2011,
Have you checked what Tyler.Allain suggested?

I mean, the other thing you can do is to bring it to a tech for a quick evaluation. If it is this problem like you suggest, just ask how much it would take to repair.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well the VH140 is gunna be built properly, as opposed to modern solid-states that are all digital and SMD and that shit.

It'd probably be repairable by a qualified tech.
The schem just makes me cross eyed..

http://javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/misc/Ampeg-VH140C-schematics_Page_1.jpg

Its an old amp, really, maintenence costs should've been a consideration when you picked it up. Cold solder joints are a common issue i hear with the VH140, which could be very well what the problem is, the amps probably a good 15-25 years old by now.