hey guys
Hey I am building a guitar out of part I can by (such as Warmoth and mighty mite) I am just having trouble picking tone woods. I am just wondering what wood would be good for me. I play blues,praise, jazz, and metal. I like a even tone across the bass, mids, and highs. I have a lot of mahogany guitar but for some reason they sound good but I don't know if there what I am looking for. So if anyone has any ideas please do post. Also if you know any good pickups or other body, neck, and other guitar parts please let me know.

Thanks
Alder would be a good choice. Its a fairly neutral sounding wood, and with the right neck wood and pickups would give you a very versatile guitar.
For something a bit more like your mahogany guitars, but not exactly the same, I'd suggest Korina. Its quite similar to mahogany, but with a fuller midrange. It looks sweet too
Warmoth has an extensive guide on everything you are asking. I suggest you look there, it helped me out a lot when I was looking for the same.

Other thing you can do is see what guitars you really love the sound of, and copy the woods they use.
WTLTL 2011
Alder - all around balanced tone with good mids and highs, a little on the brighter side.
(strat)

Mahogany - warm, fat tone with lots of bass and lower mid range. mids and highs rolled off
(Les Paul)

Basswood - slightly warmer than alder, but not as warm as mahogany, good upper mid range and enhanced low-mid range.
(Ibanez RG)
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
thanks everyone I already know (should have said this earlier that I don't like basswood). I really torn between mahogany and ash for the body. maple or Mahogany for the neck. Maple, rosewood, or ebony. I just don't know cause I can find any ash guitar around me so I have been using youtube which is really stupid I know. lol I just don't know cause I like the warmth of mahogany and the pronounced highs of ash. I which there was a way to combined them. Could I put on warm or bright wood in the neck/fretboard and the other in the neck. Also if so which one where.
Think about it.

Gibson LP tends to go for a warm body (mahogany) with a bright top (maple) and a warm neck (mahogany) and a warm fingerboard (rosewood).

The result: A very warm sounding guitar. In fact, without that thick maple top it would arguably be too warm for a lot of people.

Personally I don't think fretboard matters THAT much, so I'd rather go for a good looking tonewood there.

I would go for a warm wood in the body, and a brighter wood in the neck. Thats what I'm used to though and what I like, so ymmv.
WTLTL 2011
I am thinking mahogany body maple neck ebony fingerboard. thanks everyone.
Also does anyone know if it is really that much difference between straight radius fretboard vs compound radius. Cause I really don't know if I feel a different in them from what I played. Also anyone know any good pickups I was thinking about seymour duncan.

thanks everyone
^A compound radius means the radius of the fretboard (curvature of the board) gets flatter as you move up towards the bridge. Its meant to be more comfortable for chord work with the rounder radius down around the nut, and being flatter past the 12th fret is to stop notes choking out with large bends that is common with rounder radii.
Personally, I prefer a flatter straight radius to a compound, I find flatter radii easy for chord work so compound radii wouldn't really have any benefits for me.

If you're used to straight radii and are happy with it, I don't really see a reason to go to compound Its not a huge difference either way, so you might like the compound more anyway.
hey guys does anyone know if warmoth or someone else that does really tops not laminate tops. Reason why is cause I hear that they are purely cosmetic.