iv recently bought a jackson dxmg. the stock LFR sucks balls. it wont hold tune at all. i have to unlock and retune it about every 3 days and thats after using the fine tuners until its as tight as it goes. it also breaks strings like crazy. i go through about 2 strings a month. i found an OFR for $85 at guitar center. i was wondering is it worth it to buy it and get it installed, and if so would it even fit. or if you guys could give me any tips on how to improve the floyds tuning holding, that would be most appreciated.
If you plan on keeping the guitar and the OFR fits (I've never used a Floyd so I wouldn't know) then I'd say go for it, depending on how easy it is for you to come by $85.
before you go do anything like that, consider: is your trem set-up absolutely correctly?

i know LFR's aren't the best (I'm a confirmed non-believer), but they shouldn't be that bad. this leads me to believe that something about the way yours is set-up is incorrect. run a full and proper set-up according to the sticky at the top of this forum (or have a pro do it) and see if that helps. unless your trem is really worn out, there's no reason you should be having severe tuning issues
Quote by krehzeekid
before you go do anything like that, consider: is your trem set-up absolutely correctly?

i know LFR's aren't the best (I'm a confirmed non-believer), but they shouldn't be that bad. this leads me to believe that something about the way yours is set-up is incorrect. run a full and proper set-up according to the sticky at the top of this forum (or have a pro do it) and see if that helps. unless your trem is really worn out, there's no reason you should be having severe tuning issues

when i first got it. i got it set up at guitar center.
Quote by Metalliqua1015

yeah, but if you accidentally mucked it up (or they didn't do a good job, as is known to happen), it needs to be re-done. FR trems are finicky, if they aren't set-up right, there's absolutely no way they will work properly

given that your guitar is fairly new, I suspect the trem itself is just fine. unless there is something wrong with it from the factory, theres no reason it should be misbehaving yet
well i got it used. after guitar center set it up i had to retune it about 2 days later. could the trem jst be worn out from the previous owner?
Quote by Metalliqua1015
well i got it used. after guitar center set it up i had to retune it about 2 days later. could the trem jst be worn out from the previous owner?

it could be a little bit. however, its more likely that it just wasn't a very good set-up. follow the set-up guide at the top of the forum and see if it helps
I've had my Jackson dk2 for about 7 years, and I've never had this trouble. They both have the same trem too.
Make sure you stretch your strings. A lot of guitar players forget and then assume something is wrong with the actual guitar.
Also, make sure you don't over tighten the bolts. Over tightening them will wear them down, then you'll have serious problems with it.

Good luck bud.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
The last new Original Floyd I bought was almost $200. I'm skeptical this $85 unit is a real German Floyd, and if it's not, doubt it will be any better than what you have now.
Give it a full set-up first. If it's still rubbish, you may consider getting the replacement.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by BobDetroit
The last new Original Floyd I bought was almost $200. I'm skeptical this $85 unit is a real German Floyd, and if it's not, doubt it will be any better than what you have now.

yea that confused me a bit too. iv seen online that OFR cost around $200. iv looked at it though and it says original. i asked the clerk and he said it was original as well. im sure my floyd is just worn out from the previous user so any Brand new floyd has got to be better.
Definitely shouldn't be anything wrong with the LFR. My Jackson LFR stays in tune no matter what I do to it. and, again, should be the same as yours - the low-profile JT580.

ditto on what Chaz said - make sure you stretch new strings when putting them on. that really goes for any bridge, but is especially important with a Floyd equipped guitar.
Last edited by rebar71 at May 27, 2011,
Yes the OFR is a direct retro fit and it is worth the money, not only for tuning stability, but the smoother feel and the ability to fluter.

Edit: Make sure the OFR is made by schaller. it should be stamped on the inside of the sustain block. Just because it say "Original Floyd Rose" doesn't mean that it is Original.

These are what you should get
Orignal Floyd Rose
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at May 27, 2011,
Quote by Metalliqua1015

that's probably the problem right there
Quote by Spud Spudly
that's probably the problem right there

+1
and if its a Original FR for $85 buy it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate