Hey guys! I have been eyeing this Line 6 Spider 3 Amp Head at Guitar Center for a while now. It's 199.99 used. I am trying to sell my Crate GLX212 120 watt amp to get the amp head and my folks are gonna help me get the Cab.

I wanna know, is it a good amp head for 199.99 to help me get a good metal tone or can I do better for that price? Also, I found that Crate G142SL's are pretty cheap cabs. Would those be good for the Line 6 Head or what should I get exactly?

Like I said, I'm trying to metal. I wanna get a nice aggressive distortion without sacrificing note clarity. Thanks in advance!
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by xlRainlx
Like I said, I'm trying to metal. I wanna get a nice aggressive distortion without sacrificing note clarity. Thanks in advance!

It certainly won't do that.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Why do you need a halfstack ?

I have the Spider III stack and its meh, i use it as a practice amp at my bands jams , sure its plenty loud but the distortion is pretty crap and so much noise and hum and just feedback its not really any bit usefull having the gain past half.

Its aigh for cleans but nothing really good about the whole amp.

Are you gigging or in a band?
Can you go used?
Whats your overall budget?
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
I had a spider 3 combo. Not many redeeming qualities about it. Decent little starter amp but nothing great sounding about it.
No!! Save up your money and keep looking you'll regret spending that 200 bucks on that piece of shit ur whole career go peavey!
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by ShortSpaceWAng
Why do you need a halfstack ?

I have the Spider III stack and its meh, i use it as a practice amp at my bands jams , sure its plenty loud but the distortion is pretty crap and so much noise and hum and just feedback its not really any bit usefull having the gain past half.

Its aigh for cleans but nothing really good about the whole amp.

Are you gigging or in a band?
Can you go used?
Whats your overall budget?

Hmmm well....

I am in a band and we will be gigging. The other guitar player has a half stack so I am trying to get one so that I won't be drowned out.

I don't mind used one bit so long as it works and my budget is 400-500 USD's(max)

Also I live in the Ventura County area in California but I wouldnt mind driving to Los Angeles or similar distance to get an amp.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
You dont need a stack to be heard over a stack

You can easily go for a combo.

usually it goes

Combos = cheaper then stacks more bang for your buck
Stacks= Looks cool , more head room and more speakers.

What type of music will you be playing or band style your going after??
Do you have any pedals?
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Look for a used peavey ultra head and then if you got one at around about the market value you should have change for a decent 2x12.
Quote by ShortSpaceWAng
You dont need a stack to be heard over a stack

You can easily go for a combo.

usually it goes

Combos = cheaper then stacks more bang for your buck
Stacks= Looks cool , more head room and more speakers.

What type of music will you be playing or band style your going after??
Do you have any pedals?

Well I already got a Crate GLX212 120 Watt but I can't even hear it over my friend's 75 watt Line 6 amp xD

Well I have a Line 6 POD that I use on my Crate. I just really want some strong distortion. Hmm I guess if I wanted to copy any band's distortion, it'd probably have to be either Mercenary's in their song "My Secret Window" or The Faceless distortion in their "Planetary Duality" album

So guys can anyone show me demos of these awesome Peavey amps you guys are talking about?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Last edited by xlRainlx at May 26, 2011,
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
Last edited by ShortSpaceWAng at May 26, 2011,
Depends, do you want a half-decent Solid-State halfstack that people will flame you for having just because it's not a Valve amp?

If you want Valve tone, get a Valve amp. If you want a cheap, reliable, relatively-good-sounding-if-you-tweak-it-right Solid-State amp, go for it. Solid-State and Valve amps have different character, neither is necessarily better.
Gear:
Yamaha RGX620DZ
Ibanez TK999HT
Marshall MG50FX (One that sounds good! :O )
Ibanez RG470
Line 6 Spider II Half-stack (Again, one that sounds good! Oh, wait, maybe it's just because I don't use unnessecary amounts of Gain and Bass. Twats.)
Listen dude if you get the triumph that's 200...that leaves
You wit 200 bucks for a cab add 50 on that

http://ventura.craigslist.org/msg/2329227213.htmlw

Perfect halfstack dude you have no idea people that spend thousands on their stacks would creme over this shit lol
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

Quote by childofbodem
Depends, do you want a half-decent Solid-State halfstack that people will flame you for having just because it's not a Valve amp?

If you want Valve tone, get a Valve amp. If you want a cheap, reliable, relatively-good-sounding-if-you-tweak-it-right Solid-State amp, go for it. Solid-State and Valve amps have different character, neither is necessarily better.

While there is such a thing as an alright sounding solid state amp it is quite obvious that you are deaf
Quote by coolstoryangus

Me like a lot!!!!

@ShortSpaceWAng: How's that B52 sound? It looks promising.

@childofbodem: I'd definitely would love a Valve but right now I can only afford an amp head and cab for a total of 500.

@ ishmonkey: OMG!!! Haha I think you might have convinced me on that one
What do you guys think? Get the Peavey Triumph head for 200 and then the Marshall 1960A cab for 250?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Last edited by xlRainlx at May 27, 2011,
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
Used 6505+ 112 combo

As good as these are, they do not hold up unless you have an extension cab.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Even better this will give a little more bass to punch the crowd in the face with

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/2371873389.html
Quote by BrokenDstring

Quote by xlRainlx
Me like a lot!!!!

@childofbodem: I'd definitely would love a Valve but right now I can only afford an amp head and cab for a total of 500.

What do you guys think? Get the Peavey Triumph head for 200 and then the Marshall 1960A cab for 250?

The Triumph, B52, Valveking, and 6505+ already mentioned are valve amps
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by xlRainlx
Me like a lot!!!!

You should deffo try and pick that triumph up.
You can get decent setups on the cheap when you go used especially in america, the older peavey valve amps are the way to go. They may look like ugly 80s rejects but they sound great!
Hell i managed to get my ultra plus in the uk for £200 and it sounds better then heads that cost 3x as much lol!
They're are fairly rare in the uk but i saw one of the older ones on ebay for £150 here.
Quote by ishmonkey
Even better this will give a little more bass to punch the crowd in the face with

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/2371873389.html

Ooohhh I like punching people But the 1960A is literally 20 minutes away so I might actually go for that one instead. We'll see.

@ Rogue: Really? xD See that's how nooby I am when it comes to amps haha! But sweet!!!

@ angus: Sounds great! Haha now I just gotta sell my Crate combo amp xD

And about that B52 that ShortSpaceWang mentioned... anybody know if that one's any good compared to the Peavey Triumph/1960 Marshall cab stack that I am considering now?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
the peavey i think would be better then the B-52 , just giving you more options so you have more choices to look at.

B-52 gets more of a classic to modern rock too , could do metal with a boosttt but maybe head to a store and try some out ?
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
If you don't want to spend any more, get a Randall head instead of the Line 6 one. They've got really good metal sounds, especially for the price.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass