Hello, I play a lot of metal type music...and I find tapping isnt quite as clear and crisp as when I am picking notes...I do not think its my technique as i have been able to do it on certain other amps...can anyone recommend me what I can do to make the tapping more vivid and make it standout on my amp?

Thanks so much!
try more gain, different pick up position, crank the volume on the guitar if it isn't already, if none of those work fiddle with your EQ, i find that a really chunky scooped tone, with the mids at about 10/11 o'clock and the bass and treble somewhere at or between 2/3 o'clock works for most amps to get a good tapping sound, or get the mids and treble at bout 2 o clock and put the bass down to 10 o clock, if all else fails turn your amp up, tapping sounds weak on low volumes with tube amps, but i'm assuming you probably have it decently loud. Good luck.
Last edited by maowcat at May 27, 2011,
Maybe try turning the treble up a bit. If it's already all the way up then turn down the bass. Just screw with your settings until it comes through how you want it.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
First of all if you don't have an OD pedal, get one now. I find turning the gain up on the 6505+ isn't the best idea as you can lose note clarity. I would boost your mids and treble and use an OD pedal.
Try a compressor pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thanks so much everyone...some great advice here...definitely going to try these suggestions out!
Quote by dvm25
thanks so much everyone...some great advice here...definitely going to try these suggestions out!

The best advice given in this thread would be to get an OD.

OD's make a WORLD of difference on 6505's and I love mine.

Another tip until you make a decision would be to BOOST your mids. Scooping mids on a 6505 is like castrating an opera singer... Doesn't make sense.

Just a crazy Australian's $0.02 USD on the subject.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
i would suggest an OD pedal to tighten the bass and try raising the mids and treble. not to much on the mids but a decent amount of treble.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Mopy

Another tip until you make a decision would be to BOOST your mids. Scooping mids on a 6505 is like castrating an opera singer... Doesn't make sense.

crazy fact, in midevil times people would castrate young boys so that they wouldnt lose their high pitched voice so they could sing opera.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Mopy

I thought the 6505 was supposed to be a pretty midsy amp already.

But yeah, OD pedal. Make sure your technique is down pat and your EQ is good, and more mids can never hurt in terms of getting notes to pop.

You might want to try a delay for atmosphere as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I thought the 6505 was supposed to be a pretty midsy amp already.

It is.

With the mids at 0 that amp has more mids than most do cranked up.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by EspTro
crazy fact, in midevil times people would castrate young boys so that they wouldnt lose their high pitched voice so they could sing opera.

That was choir boys. Opera, not so much...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Compressor pedal would kick ass I think. Check that out with an OD as well and see what solves your problems homie.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
I suggest...

getting better at tapping...
Get an accoustic
When you can hear it on that you'll be golden mate.
Quote by coolstoryangus
I suggest...

getting better at tapping...
Get an accoustic
When you can hear it on that you'll be golden mate.

+1
Practicing on the clean channel (with an electric) will also suffice if you don't have an acoustic.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Practice and add MIDs don't take them away. The kids these days and their silly scooped metal, when will they learn that a bass is the low end and the guitar is the Mid range insrument?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
FYI, turning up the gain WILL NOT help with clarity.

Some compression up front, and lowering the gain will probably be the route to take if your technique is spot on.
Bridge pickup.
Mids and treble up high.
OD pedal and possibly compressor pedal.

Got all of those?
You should be golden if you do.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Play with settings, Prescence specifically.

Also Get some new tubes and a new bias
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Still think its probably technique thats the issue... i mean just look who the 6505 was originalyl designed for rofl
Quote by coolstoryangus
Still think its probably technique thats the issue... i mean just look who the 6505 was originalyl designed for rofl

haha ok good point. BUT I bet EVH didnt use a mesa cab, and probably had some tech spend weeks on dialing in a tone.

OP says he has no other issues with other amps.

What speakers do you use??? V30? trash those things. Get some 75's or at least x pattern. Turn the prescence up some and jump on your tube screamer.

Dont forget your noise supressor...OH damn wait now theres the lack of tone again.

What you really need is a new amp...
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at May 28, 2011,
A mid frequency heavy overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer style dirt box will do the trick.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Practice and add MIDs don't take them away. The kids these days and their silly scooped metal, when will they learn that a bass is the low end and the guitar is the Mid range insrument?

This is getting annoying. Adding mids is not the god send answer to all tone problems. Adding mids isn't a good option all of the time. It varies extremely from amp to amp, and especially depending on what kind of sound you're trying to get. In most cases, a 6505 is definitely NOT an amp you want to add mids on, excessively.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by maddnotez
haha ok good point. BUT I bet EVH didnt use a mesa cab, and probably had some tech spend weeks on dialing in a tone.

OP says he has no other issues with other amps.

What speakers do you use??? V30? trash those things. Get some 75's or at least x pattern. Turn the prescence up some and jump on your tube screamer.

Dont forget your noise supressor...OH damn wait now theres the lack of tone again.

What you really need is a new amp...

That is some of the worst advice I've ever heard. G12T-75s sound horrid with Peaveys.

Also, if he had techs spending weeks dial in tones, they were getting paid to get high, cause if you spend more than 15 minutes tweaking a Peavey, there's something wrong with it, or it just won't do what you want it to.

The only answer to this thread is technique. I don't care what you say about how great you are at tapping, you should be able to hear it just fine on an acoustic or through a Fender amp on a completely clean setting if you're doing it right.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
try tapping on the clean channel. if it doesnt come out good that way either, get to practicing!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Make sure the gain isnt too high you start loosing note defination as you increase the gain thats why no one uses peavey's gain at 10 keep it below 5 always
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II