I have played Bass guitar for about 6 years at a point i was JUST starting to get how to do a Rush song (a big achievement imo) I was able to crank out a few Opeth songs and such (still have Drapery Falls memorized). Although I'm starting to pick up guitar so I can actually express myself and not be restricted to a future band members control, but so far it seems like playing bass for all of those years is a hindrance to me now. I have no clue of any notes like A or Bflat (horrible examples) no idea of music theory or scales, with bass i could feel out songs and just jam and feel good with guitar I struggle to do even the most simple songs. From what I have been reading online learning scales, knowing music theory, having a teacher is all a must for any guitar player who wants to be competent. Now I do not have the funds for a teacher as of this current moment (maybe in the near future who knows). Sorry this is getting long almost over =D, I also have the problem of EXTREMELY small hands... HERE let me go measure them... From the top of my middle finger to the bottom of my hand is about 7 to 7 and a half inches from my pinky to my thumb it is a little over 6 inches. That has been a gigantic hindrance for Bass it was deal-able strangely should i work on stretching more or find a smaller scale guitar? OK back to my main rant/question based on the information I have given does anyone have any tips? All advice is GREATLY appreciated and I'm sorry for the long post and if it is the wrong place =[.
Quote by Deaton92
...although I'm starting to pick up guitar so I can actually express myself and not be restricted to a future band members control...

...what?! Why does that restrict you to somebody else's control? I don't understand.

...fFrom what I have been reading online learning scales, knowing music theory, having a teacher is all a must for any guitar player who wants to be competent. Now I do not have the funds for a teacher as of this current moment (maybe in the near future who knows).

Yes, a teacher will help a lot! ...but there are plenty of free resources on the internet until you can afford a teacher...

I also have the problem of EXTREMELY small hands... HERE let me go measure them... From the top of my middle finger to the bottom of my hand is about 7 to 7 and a half inches from my pinky to my thumb it is a little over 6 inches. That has been a gigantic hindrance for Bass it was deal-able strangely should i work on stretching more or find a smaller scale guitar?

I was actually going to reply to this with something like "The size doesn't matter..." because I have pretty small hands...but (having measured them to compare) they are like an inch larger than yours in both directions. So I guess I can't use that.

Having small hands shouldn't be that much of a hindrance though, as long as you work on stretching them out. I play bass fine with my hands (using all four fingers), but that's not because my hands can naturally reach that far- it's because I've practised loads!

OK back to my main rant/question based on the information I have given does anyone have any tips? All advice is GREATLY appreciated and I'm sorry for the long post and if it is the wrong place =[.

I honestly think you just need to practise loads. I mean, what are you asking? "Why aren't I as good at guitar as I am at bass?"? Maybe you actually just prefer playing bass?