Sorry for the NooB question but I'm looking to buy an amp and have decided I definitely want a tube amp for the tones. I get that you have to push the tubes to get the best out of them so this is where my question comes in.
I have read that you can use an attenuator to reduce the volume but am not sure how that works. Is it something that can be bought and plugged in or is it a permanent modification (shop job in my case)? Also, once fitted/plugged in, does it effect the quality of tone you get from the amp?

TIA for advice
Ha, I really should upload the stuff I have for Part 3.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks Eppicurt, yeah, I should have done a search.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Ha, I really should upload the stuff I have for Part 3.

I've just read the whole thread and didn't see Part 2.

I'm guessing that it is a very expensive way to do it with not particularly good results if you don't have a ton of cash then?
^ there was enough space in the first post that I was able to have Part 1 and 2 in the same one. The word files for each section are still labeled correctly on my machine.

What type of music are you playing that you want to push the tubes?

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'm only learning at the moment but I want to play Blues and Rock (more classic than Metal).

I have seen the Peavey Delta Blues on the net and loved the tones that gave but I think that is just going to be way too loud.

(I haven't got much chance to try anything out around me and am going to Bangkok in the next month or so to try and buy an amp (and guitar as I'm using a borrowed one at the moment due to a burglary!) so I'm trying to get as much info before I go.)

PS, my apologies, I thought picking an attenuator was going to be part 2.
Last edited by Henry Wilt at May 27, 2011,
There are decent options at a lower price, but as you're in Thailand you might not have access o them.

Have you considered using a PodXT or better? I thought they did a lot of good classic models, even if they were digital.

I haven't tried them but that was something I was looking at last night (on the net), you don't really ever get the warm tone of tubes though do you?
I was originally looking at the VOX VT20+ but from what I've read it just doesn't compare.
Attenuators can work well if you know what they can and can't do. I used to have a triple rectifier running through a hot plate, and I was able to dial the volume back considerably. However at that low volume it isn't gonna sound as good because there just isn't as much air being pushed by the speakers, but it worked for me because I just wanted it for noise reduction, not cranked tone. I could crank the amp most of the time, so I would just bypass the attenuator.

If you just want power tube breakup at slightly less than eardrum rupturing volumes, an attenuator will probably work for you. If you want one so you can play your awesome tube amp when your girlfriend / kids are sleeping, an attenuator will probably work for you. If you want cranked tone at bedroom volumes... you're likely to be disappointed.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Thanks jpatan, I guess that I'm either after a very small tube amp or one of these Pod things then (or possibly go back to the VOX idea, just got to try and find one I can try!). Wife + 4 kids means I've got to keep the levels down but would dearly love to get the sound.
Yeah, I've heard great reviews of the pod HD series.

What kind of budget do you have to work with?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Sorry for the late reply, I'd finished work yesterday and when I got home the kids had their laptop at their grandparents. (I lost my PC in the same burglary )

Probably up to about $1000 if it is going to bee a one off purchase, if it is something I am going to have to upgrade or replace I'd rather not spend that much.
Damn... for that kind of budget you could get a killer amp... though I'm not sure what the market is like in Thailand.

What kind of music are you playing? Like what bands specifically are close to your style? This will help a great deal. No sense in suggesting a twin reverb if you're trying to bring the br00tz.

You could get a pod HD500 with that budget and have cash left over, but honestly if I had $1k to drop I'd go with a nice amp. In that price range you can most likely find something really good. Most amps in that range are gonna get most of their gain and tone from the preamp, so unless you're specifically trying to get power tube breakup, then your options are really wide open.

Also, don't be afraid to buy used. Amps are pretty tough. If taken care of, they will last a LONG time.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes