Page 1 of 2
Well, I'm the lead vocalist and guitarist of my band and quite frankly, I'd say i'm the least attractive of them. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 250 lbs, while the other three have girls flocking to them. Do you think I'd bring the band down because of this?

I'm the songwriter and I could say I have the most musical knowledge, as well as the best vocal range, but I worry about how the audience would react if they saw a behemoth singing. Not that I think people are shallow, but you just know it's gonna be a big deal to some.
Depends on what music you make.

You could work out like a lot and become that one obnoxiously huge ripped guy.
Dude, people are shallow no bones about it.

Look at it this way, your in a band that works (im just assuming here) well.
Thats more than many others have, chances are you wont get famous thats just how it is, even if you were 'good looking' the chances are slim to none.

If your in the right music scene most people wont care about how you look, just as long as you put on a good show and release music they want to hear you'll be fine.

So in conclusion don't split with the band your in just becuase you don't feel 'good looking', thats a stupid reason to give up on something good, if anything it should make you more determined to prove yourself!
Haha, thanks guys. To zomgguitarz, we've got a punkish sound (I won't label it punk since I don't even know the qualifications for real punk anymore)
Well, according to A7X you have to be good looking and wear tattoos (and funny names!). Then nobody hear your music but buys your CDs anyway.

And that comes from a fan.

Then again, you could try look like Nathan Explosion.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
To be completely honest, an overweight lead singer can kill a band's potential. It sucks, and its not fair, but it's a fact of life.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by SumFX

Look at it this way, your in a band that works (im just assuming here) well. Thats more than many others have, chances are you wont get famous thats just how it is, even if you were 'good looking' the chances are slim to none.

Totally agree.

I play in a band but it's not going as well as I would like it to go.
Stick to your band, it's valuable!

If you are concerned about your looks, I have two things to say:

1. You're a dude and looks aren't that important when you're a dude. If you were a girl, well, things would be a little more complicated, to be honest. But your the lead guitarist and vocalist, man! You can look anyway you want.

2. But you should still do cardio and eat healthy, NOT for your stage presence but for yourself. Watch this guy's videos, they really helped me a lot. I suggest you start with this one ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/99/d0IbZ0eiEiQ
You're playing punk, not teen bubblegum-pop. Your looks shouldn't matter.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Well, according to A7X you have to be good looking and wear tattoos (and funny names!). Then nobody hear your music but buys your CDs anyway.

And that comes from a fan.

Then again, you could try look like Nathan Explosion.

lol, I wish.
Believe me, I'm on the road to weight loss, but the scheds keep it inconsistent. I actually weighed 20 lbs more last year. It's slow, but I hope I can work it down to an ideal 190 within the next year.
May I direct you to the singer of Black Stone Cherry.

He's one bad motherlover.
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by Audioslave95
May I direct you to the singer of Black Stone Cherry.

He's one bad motherlover.

If I was a metalhead, haha
Check out Nile as well haha. And Deftones. And do you remember Drowning Pool's first vocalist?
Didn't he die of heart disease? Alright... I'm gonna do some squat-thrusts now....
If youre music is good it shouldnt matter.

Although it does seem to help if theres some... ah 'sex appeal'.

Oh and good luck with the waitloss thing! ^^
I just had to post this, didn't I.
Quote by 007dude
You're playing punk, not teen bubblegum-pop. Your looks shouldn't matter.

This very much!

Punk isn't supposed to be pretty, it's about expressing yourself.
Look at The Damned or the Clash or Sham 69 or Discharge or Bad Brains or Minor Threat or Leftover Crack or The Decendents, i could go on forever!

If you are playing uber super sweet sugar bubblegum pop rock like All Time Low, then yes looks will matter, but im hoping your not that lame.

Edit://
I see we're on the topic of wait loss, good luck with it TS it will be a good health choice
Last edited by SumFX at May 27, 2011,
Ugh, if I could find a more pathetic excuse for punk I don't know. ATL with their poser fangirls...
Even at "punk" it depends on what kind of punk. If you're like Green Day punk, you are still basically a pop band, and looks - especially for a singer - are pretty important. If you're a punk band like Minor Threat, I can pretty much nobody will care what you look like, as long as you don't look like some kind of pop band.

It's like Bon Jovi *has* to be good looking, but Motorhead can get away with being bad-ass ugly.

There are exceptions, of course....

MeatLoaf
Barenaked Ladies
Bowling for Soup

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Again, to clarify, we're punk-ish. If our style really had to put into a genre, I guess we'd be considered Alternative
I think all you can do, is not worry about the looks (I've seen some horrendous looking people in bands ).

But, do try to work out a bit, as it won't ever hurt and may make you feel a bit more attractive.

Though, it seems the "in" thing with modern bands is to be ugly right now anyway.

But seriously don't worry about it too much, I think your main issue here will be self-confidence, it doesn't matter that the other guys get the girls. What matters is that you do your stuff well.

While people do come to gigs to watch, a massive part of it is the music and as you're the main musical point of the band, that'll make up for you thinking you aren't the attractive one.
Quote by G.Krizzel
1. You're a dude and looks aren't that important when you're a dude. If you were a girl, well, things would be a little more complicated, to be honest. But your the lead guitarist and vocalist, man! You can look anyway you want.

Gold. Album.

#1 in the UK.

Most successful internationally produced single of all time.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Those images have just been branded on the inside of my eyelids forever. Cannot unsee
Who the heck is that?!
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
talent>looks

If you're good enough at what you do you'll be just fine, though weight loss is perfectly fine since it'll just make you healthier anyways as others have stated.

you can look ugly but put on an amazing show and go crazy on stage and everyone will love you, in my opinion at least.
It's Beth Ditto from the Gossip, if anyone's still wondering. She has stripped onstage at festivals, too, which indicates to me that if you fail to give a shit, so will everyone else.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

^ Right on
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Although physical looks may be less important that you think, I'm under the impression that you still should have a defining look for the band, something that makes them look different from the audience.

Take Jay Z for example:

Now he is pretty ugly. But there's no denying that he looks like a rapper in that pic, which is what he is.

Also looking at another band, Fall Out Boy:

Now we do have the dreamy guy up front, but the rest of the band is not very good looking. However they do look like they're a band of some sort. Which is what they are.

Every now and then you get people saying "we'll just wear shirts and jeans, and that'll be fine". As a general guide, if you disappear into the audience when you step off-stage, you're not doing it right in terms of looks.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by StewieSwan
To be completely honest, an overweight lead singer can kill a band's potential. It sucks, and its not fair, but it's a fact of life.

Tell that to The Pixies.....
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Looking good is a bonus. Not looking good isn't a disadvantage.

Now we do have the dreamy guy up front, but the rest of the band is not very good looking. However they do look like they're a band of some sort. Which is what they are.

Every now and then you get people saying "we'll just wear shirts and jeans, and that'll be fine". As a general guide, if you disappear into the audience when you step off-stage, you're not doing it right in terms of looks.

...what? Any of those four people would disappear straight into any audience I've ever seen. Literally. Any. Audience, from bar gigs to stadiums to festivals to cramped open mics. A t-shirt and jeans isn't just common musician wear, it's ubiquitous.
Quote by Samzawadi
...what? Any of those four people would disappear straight into any audience I've ever seen. Literally. Any. Audience, from bar gigs to stadiums to festivals to cramped open mics. A t-shirt and jeans isn't just common musician wear, it's ubiquitous.

There are definitely many audiences that Pete Wentz would quickly disappear under the boots of.
Quote by Ed O'Brien

It's a pretty simple equation. If you want to make your business take off, you give it every advantage. You don't show up to a meeting wearing sandals and a torn Jimmy Buffett t-shirt because "that's just who I am." You get a suit on. Same thing if you want to make your band a business. Get your ass on the treadmill, spring for the pricey haircut, get your girlfriend to help you show for some trendier duds. Is it definitely going to get you a record deal? No, but it might help, just a teensy bit, and as in any business, you take your advantages where you can get them.
"But the Pixies didn't have to?" No, they didn't. You're not the Pixies. What's your point? And I will tell you this: when the Pixies show up for a photoshoot, there's a stylist, make up artist and hair stylist there, just like for every other act.
Wrong man. Perhaps its because I come from a different era of music but it doesn't have to be that way. Who says you can't be the next Pixies. Oh and by the way I turned up for my very highly paid job in ripped jeans and a flannel shirt because that IS who I am and I got the job. Intelligent people will see its not what you look like but your ability.

The music I listened to and still do was not about looks it was about the music. Nowdays its all about the image and thus the music suffers. Want another example other than The Pixies? Look at TAD, massive front man, made great music.

Instead of concentrating on what you look like focus on your music man.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Quote by koslack
It's a pretty simple equation. If you want to make your business take off, you give it every advantage. You don't show up to a meeting wearing sandals and a torn Jimmy Buffett t-shirt because "that's just who I am." You get a suit on. Same thing if you want to make your band a business. Get your ass on the treadmill, spring for the pricey haircut, get your girlfriend to help you show for some trendier duds. Is it definitely going to get you a record deal? No, but it might help, just a teensy bit, and as in any business, you take your advantages where you can get them.
"But the Pixies didn't have to?" No, they didn't. You're not the Pixies. What's your point? And I will tell you this: when the Pixies show up for a photoshoot, there's a stylist, make up artist and hair stylist there, just like for every other act.

Hey welcome back dude! Maybe you can help me publicise my band better/get more gigs, it's a problem I need help with due to my lack of experience.
Soundcloud
What have photoshoots got to do with the original question?

Instead of listening to some random asshole on an internet forum spewing all their baggage at you, why not actually just have a look at what successful bands look like & wear on stage? When I looked at the sort of bands I like, I saw a bunch of mostly normal-looking dudes (and a few women) up on stage playing music in clothes you could walk down the street to buy milk in. I also saw a few overweight, seriously scruffy or downright ugly folk and a smaller number of extremely handsome snazzy dressers.

So...pretty difficult to avoid the conclusion that - at least for the sorts of music I'm into (which for modern stuff is mostly quasi-mainstream altrock/electronica/hiphop) - how you look and what you wear is really of extremely minimal importance as compared to the music you play.
Quote by Ed O'Brien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIKv7x4KaA

Here's a local pop punk band. They've just placed high in the Red Bull Bedroom Jam and will thusly be playing Download, Sonisphere, Hevy, T in the Park etc etc. They did a UK tour and drew big crowds all over the place. Look at one of the singers.

Granted he's left the band since then, but they did the tour and the majority of the work for the Red Bull contest while he was still with them. He was also their main promoter and whatnot.

Take from this what you will.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by AlanHB
Hey welcome back dude! Maybe you can help me publicise my band better/get more gigs, it's a problem I need help with due to my lack of experience.

Getting gigs is a bit outside my area of expertise. Anything I could tell you, you probably already know.
But getting publicity, it's tough. When I was starting out as a writer, I'd write about just about anybody, but I quickly got spoiled. The first band I ever interviewed was Glassjaw, and although I've interviewed my fair share of local bands, it generally needs to be somebody with a fair degree of success to get me interested in talking to them. So if you're looking to get publicity through the press, the best advice I can give is to be entertaining as an interview. The worst thing is doing an interview and coming away with 20 minutes of conversation, but no interesting quotes.

Example: I once interviewed a boy band named JLS, who were in Toronto for an awards show, basically to raise their profile in North America. These guys were massive in England, but almost completely unknown in Canada or the States. So the problem was, they had already been trained by their interactions with the British press, and knew to avoid saying anything controversial. I kept plugging away, trying to get something interesting, and I kept getting safe answers. They were charming, but I knew what they were going to say before they said it.
Look at the article http://chartattack.com/news/86649/jls-know-what-they-are . There's only 3 quotes! That's pretty much nothing.
So my advice would be to approach every local publication that has music content.. Make it very clear why an article with your band would be fun or interesting to write. Find a narrative about your band that stands out.

I could go on and on. There have been artists that just spat out quotes, and made me want to make a 500 word article three times as long. And then there's artists who made writing feel like pulling teeth. Be the former, and you're golden.
Quote by Mithaearon
Wrong man. Perhaps its because I come from a different era of music but it doesn't have to be that way. Who says you can't be the next Pixies. Oh and by the way I turned up for my very highly paid job in ripped jeans and a flannel shirt because that IS who I am and I got the job. Intelligent people will see its not what you look like but your ability.

The music I listened to and still do was not about looks it was about the music. Nowdays its all about the image and thus the music suffers. Want another example other than The Pixies? Look at TAD, massive front man, made great music.

Instead of concentrating on what you look like focus on your music man.

TAD often incorporated their singer's girth into how they promoted the band. When they toured with Nirvana, the posters read "Heavier than Heaven." They were adept at taking an unorthodox looking guy and making it a part of their image.
Another thing to keep in mind if you want to talk about the Pixies - they never sold records. That's a band that only become huge in retrospect. They sold out much bigger venues on their reunion tours than they ever did in their original run. And they happened to come up on a college scene during a time when not looking like you had an image acted as a sort of default image. Those days are long gone. The public is much more media savvy.
As I always say, your band is a business. Run it like one. And that means putting out a fully formed product.
Quote by Damascus

So...pretty difficult to avoid the conclusion that - at least for the sorts of music I'm into (which for modern stuff is mostly quasi-mainstream altrock/electronica/hiphop) - how you look and what you wear is really of extremely minimal importance as compared to the music you play.

Believe what you must. If you think everything on the top 40 consists of excellent songs with minimal image or style involved, so be it.

As for "make great music and success will come", isn't that a bit of a fairy tale? And for dressing how you feel - if you want to put across a casual attitude, wear whatever. If you wish to portray yourself as professional, it may be a consideration to pay a bit more attention to how you look and dress yourself.

Just always keep in mind that you're selling a product, not striving to create art.
Soundcloud
Page 1 of 2