Hey

I'm a guitarist/vocalist with a decent amount playing experience etc. During my time I've recorded a few videos for youtube or just uploaded some covers onto something like sound cloud in order to share them. Now that I want to be much more serious about this I want my recordings to be of a decent quality. I basically just want some info on the kinds of sound card/microphone combinations that would be best for me to use. Obviously I'd want to be able to record straight into my computer with my electric guitar but for acoustic songs and also the vocals I'll need a decent microphone. I just wanted some advice on the kinds of hardware that's decent but not going to completely rob me of my savings. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr Decent sound cards and microphones for recording into a pc.
first off i would get a line 6 Pod. this interface allows you to plug into your computer and comes with a xlr slot and jack so mic and guitar this costs £116 for a decent one
then microphone wise for vocals i would get either an SM58 for £90 odd or the SE2200 for just over £100
I would not get a Pod.

What's your budget?

If you're doing acoustic and vocals and are wanting a decent sound, go for the UX2 and a condenser. The mic will depend on your budget. You can get an AT2020 for $99 which is decent but if you can afford 2-300 you'll be much better off. The UX2 comes with Pod Farm which will be helpful when it comes to your electric recordings and it also has phantom power that you'll need to power the mic.

If you're not interested in Pod Farm, there are a few other decent interfaces for $200 and under you can look at.
Quote by sandyman323
I would not get a Pod.

What's your budget?

If you're doing acoustic and vocals and are wanting a decent sound, go for the UX2 and a condenser. The mic will depend on your budget.

Hey, guys. I dont want to abuse chase's thread here, but ... I do... cause I am in kind of the same situation.

I am new to recording ... and need some advice if possible.

I dont have a big budget either ... so after some research I decided to go with the Line6 Studio UX2. I am also micing my amp, so I bought an Shure Sm57.

Now, I also tried to record acoustic guitar with it ... and of course on that price level I dont want it to sound perfect but I am really not happy with sound, the acoustic guitar's sound in particular ...
It sounds a little dull and powerless and very midrange kind of sound .. not much detail on the high end (what I would prefer).
Is this because I use a dynamic mic and should use an condensor?
(those I was recommended are just too expensive (e.g. shure sm81 or akg 414))
I wonder if the sm58 would make a huge difference if I bought that, as it is another 100 bucks ...

Or is it my "settings"? Software-wise I have not yet explored much.
Mic-placement should be fine.
I actually just get the sound on recording level and press play.

Sometimes I feel like the recording software itself (Ableton) also kind of compresses the sound in the recording process a bit and it sounds less energetic and natural on the way out than on the way in.

Hope you guys also have some "Recording advice" for me.

Thanks very much.
Quote by Eli4s
Hey, guys. I dont want to abuse chase's thread here, but ... I do... cause I am in kind of the same situation.

I am new to recording ... and need some advice if possible.

I dont have a big budget either ... so after some research I decided to go with the Line6 Studio UX2. I am also micing my amp, so I bought an Shure Sm57.

Now, I also tried to record acoustic guitar with it ... and of course on that price level I dont want it to sound perfect but I am really not happy with sound, the acoustic guitar's sound in particular ...
It sounds a little dull and powerless and very midrange kind of sound .. not much detail on the high end (what I would prefer).
Is this because I use a dynamic mic and should use an condensor?
(those I was recommended are just too expensive (e.g. shure sm81 or akg 414))
I wonder if the sm58 would make a huge difference if I bought that, as it is another 100 bucks ...

Or is it my "settings"? Software-wise I have not yet explored much.
Mic-placement should be fine.
I actually just get the sound on recording level and press play.

Sometimes I feel like the recording software itself (Ableton) also kind of compresses the sound in the recording process a bit and it sounds less energetic and natural on the way out than on the way in.

Hope you guys also have some "Recording advice" for me.

Thanks very much.

Look into a condenser mic. SM57s are, quite frankly, shit for studio work. An SM58 isn't going to be any better, it's really just the exact same mic as an SM57, but with a grill and pop filter over the head.
Try an AT2020 maybe. I use one for vocals and it sounds all right, haven't tried with an acoustic yet though so I can;t say for sure.
I'd recommend plugging you guitar right into your UX2 as well rather than micing your amp. I personally wouldn't tough an SM57 for anything other than mcing up live. IMHO, they sound far too 'airy' to be used for recording.
The 57 is a decent mic for acoustic guitars, imo. Try pointing it more towards the 12th fret, and EQ it a bit. You should be able to get a solid sound from it, though using it in conjunction with a condenser mic is just a fantastic combination.
My budget isn't huge but not shite. I was thinking of spending something like 500 overall, and that's pounds =P I kinda though I would be spending like 200-300 on a sound card and a microphone so yeah. I'm just a complete noob when it comes to hardware in relation to recording and tbh even in terms of guitars and sound too. I just want my recordings to sound ten times more professional than they do at the moment with a sound blaster and a computer mic XD

But yeah, thanks guys I'll look into some of the stuff you've mentioned.

P.S. I'll make the point now I have a PC and would probably use things like Audacity for my mixing though open to suggestions. And don't suggest a mac ^_^
Quote by chase879
P.S. I'll make the point now I have a PC and would probably use things like Audacity for my mixing though open to suggestions. And don't suggest a mac ^_^

Use Reaper. Audacity is shit. And only an idiot would recommended a mac if you have a 500 pound budget.
Oh no I'm not thinking of getting a new PC or anything, I'm happy with that. I just know a lot mac people who advocate them as the only recording medium just because they wasted their own money =P
Quote by CrossBack7
The 57 is a decent mic for acoustic guitars, imo. Try pointing it more towards the 12th fret, and EQ it a bit. You should be able to get a solid sound from it, though using it in conjunction with a condenser mic is just a fantastic combination.

If you have to EQ to get it to sound natural (which is generally what you're shooting for with acoustics) you have the wrong mic. I realize not many people here can blow over a grand for a mic, but the right cheap condenser in the right place will get you a sound most people around here will be happy with. With budget mics EQ is fine to polish it off, but the original sound should be one you're pretty happy with.

Just a note for anyone who's curious...
I always recommend the same mics for these questions for a reason. I've heard the difference between a condenser and a dynamic, and I've heard the difference between bottom end mics (MXL 990 etc.) and slightly better mics (AT2020 etc). From what I've heard with my own ears and by recommendations I've read on a few more recording focused forums, the AT2020 (same price as a 57 btw) is about as cheap as I'm comfortable with recommending and I would pick that any day over any dynamic (sm57). If it's at all a possibility for the OP I highly recommend stepping it up a notch with a better mic from the AT line or my personal favorite acoustic mic, the Bluebird.
I like the airiness it gives. I use it in conjuction with an AT3035 and like it more than just the AT3035 alone. I think it captures the high end better, but that's just my opinion.

In any case, I'd recommend trying the 57 before you buy another mic, and if you do, try it in conjuction with it. And I would avoid the MXL 990 or cheaper condensers. AT2020 is a good bet though.
thanks guys ...

seems like saving up money for a condensor might be a good idea ...
thanks for your recommendations!
I just realised one of my previous posts wasn't that clear - I pretty much had the idea I would be spending between 200 to 300 each on a Mic and sound card so stepping it up from £99 wouldn't be a problem though obviously my concern is in spending that amount of money having not used any products like them before.

In general though I'd like to say I'm really pleased with the response from you guys and I'm genuinely grateful for all of the advice =)