hi
just bought a new nut , cuz i changed on new gauge strings .
but how increase the slots ? and to make them deeper ?
what is the purpose here?
string height?

in that case i would carefully shave the bottom end of the nut
so you dont need to file the holes
otherwise
you need an expensive set of tools
Just curious, but why'd you need to buy a new nut if you still have to file or deepen the slots? Couldn't you have just done that to the old nut?
Quote by Spud Spudly
Just curious, but why'd you need to buy a new nut if you still have to file or deepen the slots? Couldn't you have just done that to the old nut?

he did not even need to swap his nuts (lol)
Hes talking about slotting his new nut he bought as I understand it.

Depends on the material, you can get special files for doing the job and for the harder stuff its probably going to do a better job. Some materials you can actually use old strings to rub and make a slot with them.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
Hes talking about slotting his new nut he bought as I understand it.

Depends on the material, you can get special files for doing the job and for the harder stuff its probably going to do a better job. Some materials you can actually use old strings to rub and make a slot with them.

i will try.how much space to let between strings and 1st fret ?
Its a matter of personal preference, you dont need much at all though. The string vibrates in a pretty small area here, it vibrates wider towards the 12th fret. I would just keep checking how easy it is to fret, obviously if its too low it will buzz. As for a guess measurement I dont know, its probably about the thickness of a piece of card.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Since you have no clue as to what to do, and that means you do not have the proper files and gauges, I vote you take it to your local tech.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's the breakdown:
• With dollhouse files you can cut a nut. Nut the slots for the first and second string will be too wide and none of the slots will have the correct shape.
• You can buy a set of nut files, but that will cost you almost as much, and maybe more than, paying a tech to do it for you.
•*You should be able to get a tech to cut the nut and do a good setup for under $100.
Cutting/filing a nut takes a little skill if you actually want the guitar to play in tune when you're done...

Quote by fenderfreak100
what is the purpose here?
string height?

in that case i would carefully shave the bottom end of the nut
so you dont need to file the holes
otherwise
you need an expensive set of tools
Depending on the type of nut they are usually cut on a radius on the underside so I'm nut sure why you think it would be easier alter that than it would be to simply deepen/widen the string slot. What happens if you want to adjust the height of only one string? yeah.. duh.