Hey guys, I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 6 months so I'm still very much a beginner, but I've decided to buy my first electric. Originally I was going to get a brand new Epi Les Paul 100, but I've found 2 good deals on USED Epi LP standards. One is 3-4 years old with the cherry finish, comes with guitar a strap. They're asking for $460 for it (In Aus they retail brand new $750-$1000). The other is about 9 years old, Honeyburst finish and comes with a Les Paul hard case and they're asking $410 for it. Both seem to be in very good condition from what I can tell by the pictures, so which should I choose? In any case I will take the guitar to my old school's music teacher who is an expert when it comes to guitars and make sure there's nothing wrong sound wise, and if there is I'll return it.

So what do you think? The cherry 4 yr old? Or the Honey 9 year old + case?
Since their the same guitar the only way is to see in what condition each one is in. Look at them personally and check for cracks, rust and general wear and tear. Test it on an amp.

Honestly its all up to preference of color, and any mods the owners have made, if their in similar condition. I bought my first electric second hand and it was around 9 years old. Works perfectly fine.

Although I like the cherry more, I would get the honey just for the hard case. Either way you'll probably need to spend some money on new frets and get it set up (not much, $20-30).

Hope that helped, good luck!
Quote by Anansi
Since their the same guitar the only way is to see in what condition each one is in. Look at them personally and check for cracks, rust and general wear and tear. Test it on an amp.

Honestly its all up to preference of color, and any mods the owners have made, if their in similar condition. I bought my first electric second hand and it was around 9 years old. Works perfectly fine.

Although I like the cherry more, I would get the honey just for the hard case. Either way you'll probably need to spend some money on new frets and get it set up (not much, $20-30).

Hope that helped, good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I might look at both personally, but that would mean 2 trips plus a third to buy the one I prefer. I guess the condensed question is would being 5 years older affect the guitars sound? If not I'll go with the cheaper one, since the hard case alone is worth upwards of $80
Last edited by Ash7778 at May 27, 2011,
Quote by Ash7778
Thanks for the advice! I might look at both personally, but that would mean 2 trips plus a third to buy the one I prefer. I guess the condensed question is would being 5 years older affect the guitars sound? If not I'll go with the cheaper one, since the hard case alone is worth upwards of $80

The age shouldn't affect the sound. As long as the guitar has been taken care of and been properly maintained you shouldn't have a problem if you decide to get the older one.

Like the guy above me said it would probably be best if you tried them both out first if possible. The way the guitar feels to you when you play it is one of the most important things.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I think the older Epiphones were made of some worse wood. Also any older guitar is going to have more fret wear. An Epiphone that is three or four years old should still be one of the Korean-made ones which is good. I'd go for that one.
As mentioned above ask your music teacher to check them out. People think that age means worn out that is not always the case. I have guitars I play the piss out of that are 25 years old that still have the original frets in good shape.There is nothing to fear about buying used if you know what you are looking at.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.