although I am currently sat in my office with a well paid career ahead of me its all about to change.

in a couple of weeks time I will be getting a letter to say I have got a place at a collage near me on a music technology course and I will be accepting it, to go back in time 4 years and be a student again...

being 20 I will be the oldest person on the course and part of the interview questions was "how do you think you will cope with all the imature students in the group?"

I responded by saying that I will be able to put up with anything aslong as I get a good qualification and a Uni place at the end of it and that I have been through worse.

but on second thoughts I can see myself getting incredibly wound up and hurting somebody if they get on my nerves...

anybody else been in this situation?
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Good luck with the collage TS!
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
over here in manchester, people are surprisingly mature in college. well, the good colleges, like holy cross college, which is where i'm going in a few months.

my mother went to a health and beauty course in abraham moss college with 17 year olds, and she was a syrian 35 year old. she made a few friends, and the rest didn't really bother her. that's what i was told anyway
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Nope, I haven't. But i'm in my last year of high school and it's a madhouse. Pure madhouse. So and so likes so and so, so and so wants to fight you. It's all the figgin same as uni

I wish I was out of school...
Quote by Naruto00121
Nope, I haven't. But i'm in my last year of high school and it's a madhouse. Pure madhouse. So and so likes so and so, so and so wants to fight you. It's all the figgin same as uni

I wish I was out of school...

my high school year thankfully grew out of that in year 7, we're all just chillin now
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I'm in my first year of college, I'm 19 now. I have a few friends that are 3 years older than me, also in first year of college. All you have to do is chill out, blend in and don't try to be the father figure. Know your place!
Goodluck brah
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
I've heard from a lot of people that a music technology course is utterly pointless.

It's up to you though.
Age =/= maturity necessarily.

Anywhere you go you can find people "on your level" who you can relate to. It may just take you a little longer to find your group than others.

It's common for older students to find freshers week a bit too partyish and not to really meet anyone there - so why not avoid the mainstream drunken events and find some quiet spaces - other people will congregate there too. e.g. wait for the student bar to empty and for everyone to go out clubbing and then turn up see who is around who's not heading out on the town, or find a common room and put on a really good film and see how many other people turn up (shawshank redemption always works well - don't care how many times you've seen it - you're there to meet people not watch the film).

In short - make your own opportunities to meet like minded people, don't expect them to come to you.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Pfffffft 20? Dude you're not old....at all!

I've been doing an Animal Care course and there is a 40 year old as a student.
I suppose the age might suprise some people but thats about it.

Although Music courses tend to drag in the EMA sponges, you'll be fine.
I did a Music course last year and there was a range of ages 17-19, some of them were douchbags who got kicked off the course and some were really nice people.
There's a 20 year old in our college course, and he gets on with everyone just fine. There might be a couple of immature kids and 'EMA sponges' (like SumFX said) but you wont have a problem, there's always like-minded people around
Periphery, love that shit!
Quote by Greenie_777
I've heard from a lot of people that a music technology course is utterly pointless.

It's up to you though.

Way to be a dick.

Anyway, I've been on the other end(College student with much older students in the class), and as long as you're personable, not arrogant, and not obnoxious yourself, you shouldn't have any problems, and it doesn't sound like you'll b eeither of the latter two. Best of luck.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Way to be a dick.

Anyway, I've been on the other end(College student with much older students in the class), and as long as you're personable, not arrogant, and not obnoxious yourself, you shouldn't have any problems, and it doesn't sound like you'll b eeither of the latter two. Best of luck.

I'm speaking what I've heard. I don't like when people bullshit me so i'm not going to do it here.

I'd say that's less dickish than telling someone what they want to hear instead of what you want to say.
Quote by Greenie_777
I'm speaking what I've heard. I don't like when people bullshit me so i'm not going to do it here.

I'd say that's less dickish than telling someone what they want to hear instead of what you want to say.

There's a term called tact I like. It's not the exact definition, but what it basically means when most people use it is knowing when to say what, or alternately, what not to say when. "That's going to be pretty useless", especially when someone's not looking for advice on how practical going from their job back to being a student will be is both tactless and unhelpful if you ask me.

And I like the assumption that I was just giving lipservice. I wished him luck and gave him my personal experience, I fail to see how that's not what I wanted to say.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 27, 2011,
I will be off to College in a few months and am 18. I'm guessing most of the students doing the course I am will be about 16, so yeas, I will be in the same situation as you sadly.
If music tech is anything like audio engineering realize the job market is very small but that doesn't mean it's not a degree you will find useful in your personal or professional life.

Just going and getting a degree shows you're a competent person. I used my audio engineering degree to help get me my current job as a computer programmer.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by guitar nubsauce
If music tech is anything like audio engineering realize the job market is very small but that doesn't mean it's not a degree you will find useful in your personal or professional life.

Just going and getting a degree shows you're a competent person. I used my audio engineering degree to help get me my current job as a computer programmer.

Didn't we have a huge page-long argument once because you were trying to open up a studio or something and I told you your website was badly made?

TS, the job market for audio engineers in studios is pretty small, and you're gonna be faced with immense competition. As long as you realise that, then go ahead and study it (hell I'm studying animation, not exactly an amazingly great field either). But as for your concern about your age, you're only friggin 20, dude. I study with guys who range from 19 to 35, and we all get along just fine.
Quote by necrosis1193
There's a term called tact I like. It's not the exact definition, but what it basically means when most people use it is knowing when to say what, or alternately, what not to say when. "That's going to be pretty useless", especially when someone's not looking for advice on how practical going from their job back to being a student will be is both tactless and unhelpful if you ask me.

And I like the assumption that I was just giving lipservice. I wished him luck and gave him my personal experience, I fail to see how that's not what I wanted to say.

I disagree and also I wasn't talking about you i'm just saying I don't like to bullshit people.

If someones fat I wont tell them to lose weight because it will most likely offend them. If someone suggests they are doing a course which for most people I think is worthless and I advise against it then I'd say that's hepful.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at May 27, 2011,
thanks for the support everyone.

to be honest Im just doing the course because Im sick of being in the same routine and need to do something about it.

I will be happier if in 10 years time im back doing this job but knowing that I have atleast tried to do something else.

hopefully it will work out fine though =) am am looking forward to it soooo much!

cant wait to leave this job lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
I'm the opposite of you tbh, im doing a music tech course at uni but i want to go into computing but can't, that's purely out of change in interest and having matured a bit more i realise that music tech is not what i want to do.
I was also 20 when I studied music at college, there were a fair few older students as well.. one fella in his mid 30's.
It was all good anyway, one of the perks is being able to go for a sly pint during breaks.

Probably the best 2 years of my life.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Didn't we have a huge page-long argument once because you were trying to open up a studio or something and I told you your website was badly made?

Um, no. I was CLOSING my studio (publicly, aka no more recording peoples demos) and my website looked great. I like how you act like you could of done a better job on it
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at May 27, 2011,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
You're only 20, you're not that old.

This. How old are the people in your class?

In my fourth year of my BA i was 22, and was pretty much the youngest person in all my classes.
my job rules. ROCKWORLDEAST

Quote by GisleAune
She is new to the internet, it seems, because there's nothing between extreme love and furious hate here, sadly.
I will be doing the same in September. Leaving work to study photography at college. I will be 21. Doubt i'll be the oldest. Another course I was on there was a bloke who was 52.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Um, no. I was CLOSING my studio (publicly, aka no more recording peoples demos) and my website looked great. I like how you act like you could of done a better job on it

At building up a recording studio? Hell no, I admire anyone who tries to pull something like that up themselves, it takes a shitload of dedication, work and knowledge.

But at making a website, from what I remember that argument was not about the way the website looked but the content on it. (also, the "you can't do it better so you can't say anything against it" way of thinking is an excuse for people who can't take criticism)

But no more talk of this, this thread is about the TS.
Just count yourself lucky you didn't take up Music Tech with me at my college! Basically, the college was running out of money so we got treated like shit and were forced to have our classes in some hut with no heating and all of our classes were on a Wednesday afternoon during college common time for 4 hours so they'd only have to pay the teacher for one day's work. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't do well in that class because of the awful learning conditions.

Either way, it's not about me, it's about you TS and good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do fine because really the ages aren't that different in my opinion.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
now this is interesting. i have alot of American friends (im australian) some of which have gone back to college later. they say theres a stigma for that sort of thing. however in australia the equivalent courses are offered at a TAFE (like cert III and IV). except that sort of thing isn't even paid attention too.

most people in tafe (well atleast in the music theory/tech course) are around 19-21.
Having got qualifications in Music Technology myself, i can tell you they're worth diddly squat.
Quote by damian_91
Good luck with the collage TS!

he's really gonna need it...
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
You're only 20! FFS my mother is 51 and just graduated from Uni doing her first degree. She hung out with the younger ones on her course and got along with them great. She's even going back to do a Master's.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void