Poll: Custom Carvin or Check Out Something in my local Guitar Store
Poll Options
View poll results: Custom Carvin or Check Out Something in my local Guitar Store
Carvin CT6 (Mahogany+Curly Maple Top)
9 64%
Carvin CT4 (Mahogany+Plain Maple Top)
4 29%
Carvin CT3 (Solid Mahogany)
0 0%
Something From My Guitar Store For Less Than £800
1 7%
Voters: 14.
Simple question:

Should i save my pennies for a while and get a smoking hot Carvin CT6 or just get a reasonably good guitar from my local guitar store?

Or maybe go for the cheaper non curly maple topped Carvin CT4 or solid Mahogany CT3

Poll up!

Specs for the Carvin CT6:
-NMAH - Mahogany Neck & Body (Standard)

BGB - Black Gloss Back & Sides

-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)

CSN - Clear Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)

-CTH - Carved Top Headstock (Standard)

-EB - Ebony Fingerboard

DAB - Abalone Diamond Inlays

STJF - Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W

Cost: Close enough £2000
Picture:

Carvin CT4 Specs:

Pretty Much Same Specs As The CT6

Cost: About £1,600
Picture:

CT3 Cost: Around £1,300

Picture:

Store Bought Guitar:

I'm considering getting something with a floyd rose, however i'm not 100% on that front. But it would be mainly for metal so im either considering an LTD or a Schecter. The store bought guitar would be priced around £800
Last edited by alistairdunne at May 27, 2011,
More elaboration is needed. What specs for your Carvin, and what store-bought guitar?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I've added more information and some pictures of what i think i'd order the guitar to look like
For god sake don't order a carvin through a UK dealer. They over charge to the point of stupidity.

You could buy a bloody PRS for £2000.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Id agree with Tom, PRS is were its at
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
CT-6

/thread.

Seriously. I have a CT624, and it's the best guitar I've ever played. I'll never get rid of it. I may replace the pickups at some point, but it plays sooooo good.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'm not so sure Tom... Not trying to start a flame war here, but I've had my Carvin for about 4 months now, and I really don't see anywhere there could be improvements other than somewhat better pickups. The C22's aren't bad, but they can get a bit muddy if you're trying to get some chuggy rhythms. If you look at the CT6, it's shaped VERY similar to a PRS.

A high end Carvin can be every bit as good as a high end PRS. As long as it's comfortable to play, has a good neck, good action... I don't see how the PRS could be any better.

But like I said, I'm not trying to start a "PRS suxxorz!!!! Carvin is teh best!!!" flame war, I just think the claim that a Carvin couldn't possibly be as good as a PRS is a little unfair.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
How much did you pay for your carvin?

$3.5K?

No, didnt think so, in the UK, for £2k he could have a luthier in the UK build him his dream guitar, Carvins are lovely ( i have one on the way ) but they are soooo over priced outside of America it isnt even funny.

The PRS is the better deal over here. I'm not being a twat, thats just the cold reality in this case.

£2000 for a guitar carved in Korea and wired up in the States is insane money.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Just take away some of the unnecessary specs for the Carvin and you can get an excellent guitar for cheaper...
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Not in the UK he doesnt.

That would also render going custom completely bloody pointless.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Hey, look, it's one of the rare times when I won't suggest Carvin.

You could order a Carvin. There's not really any reason not to - they're on par with any other big manufacturer or custom shop in terms of quality. However, outside of the continental U.S., Carvin's price advantage deteriorates quickly. For the price of a Carvin in the U.K. you could probably find an excellent local luthier to build something, or just buy something really nice off the shelf.

If you really want a Carvin, go for it. If you only want a Carvin because you think it's the best deal, you might wanna reconsider.

EDIT: As for the poll, if you end up going Carvin, order a honeyburst CT4.
Last edited by Flying Couch at May 27, 2011,
If he really wants a Carvin, make friends with an American and order it through them in the states like i did.

Went from £1500 to just under £700.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
If he really wants a Carvin, make friends with an American and order it through them in the states like i did.

Went from £1500 to just under £700.

Clever girl... that works too.
Quote by Flying Couch

Clever girl... that works too.

international trade laws can't stop the GAS of Tom_1.0.

we're taking a pool on how long he keeps his. $5 a square. you in?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I might take a trip up to my big guitar seller and have a feel of some high end PRS's. I own an SE PRS myself, and its great..however i've never tried a high end one. I love those new 25th aniversary models
I don't know why Carvin don't just put a big banner on the top of their website that says "LIMEY SCUM **** OFF". They already go out of their way to make their guitars as unappealing as possible for anyone outside of the US.

OP, if you want a branded guitar then do go for a PRS. You may not get the level of customisation as you do with Carvin but it's higher quality, easier to get hold of and does retain its value better. Plus if anything turns out to be structurallywrong with it, which is incredibly unlikely, it's easy to find a PRS dealer who can have things repaired under warrenty. With Carvin you've got to ship it all the way back at your cost. Also you can try some PRS guitars out in a store and see if you like the neck first, which you can't do with the Carvin.

If you want to get the very best guitar for your money though then go for a custom build from a UK luthier. Feline Guitars are good. They make a model called the Tiger which is a PRS copy. They'll make it almost any way you want and unless you order something really over the top then you can probably get your dream guitar for around £2k which will be made by hand in the UK and piss all over the Carvins. Also you can pay in installments while the guitar is being made so even if it does cost more it is relatively painless and paying a little each month doesn't delay when you'll get the guitar.

Or you know what, you said it'll be used mostly for metal? Look up Mayones. Hand made in Poland and for the money they're about the best metal axes anyone in the EU can get. The Setius model retails for under £1500 and you're going to struggle to find such nice, hand built instruments for less than that.
Last edited by grohl1987 at May 27, 2011,
Depends on what sort of money you want to spend mate.

With 2k, I personally would go 2nd hand just because you would be able to get a fully spec'd out guitar, more so than if you went for a new one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i'd scour every shop within driving distance and play every new and used guitar in the upper price range honestly. one of them is going to knock your socks off.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm going to a schecter dealer next week. Then i'm going to a pretty big 800+ guitar store as well. I'll just try anything that looks appealing to me