Alright, so I pretty small pinkies and they are very skinny. And the way that my... Tendons? Joints? or whatever are connected, when I bring my ring finger down to fret something, my pinky either has to move far away from the fretboard, or it has to touch the fretboard. I can't help this. I know it isn't a discipline problem. It's just a problem with how my hands are made.

Is this really bad? I mean will it stunt my growth as a guitarist and be a really bad problem forever? Help.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
everyone's ring finger and pinky share the same tendon. you just need to strengthen your hand.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
The pinky is everybody's clumsiest finger. You just have to train it ans use it often to gain strength. Even some of the greatest guitarist's pinkies are sometimes lifted way too far from the fretboard. There's not a whole lot you can do about it, only use it often so it becomes more of a natural thing to move it quickly.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
I am no pro shredder yet, but I swear getting my pinky under some decent control was one of the easiest things out of everything.

Check out my practice vids and do a month or 2s brutal snail routine and your pinky problems will vanish.

I might add some more vids soon showing some alternative ideas I came up with, which really helped get my pinky under control.
I wouldn't worry about it. I've never once heard a guitarist and thought "it sounds like he has a really well positioned pinky". If you made a list of the 100 most important aspects of guitar playing, this wouldn't make the list.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
I wouldn't worry about it. I've never once heard a guitarist and thought "it sounds like he has a really well positioned pinky". If you made a list of the 100 most important aspects of guitar playing, this wouldn't make the list.

True, but it looks stupid and crap if you find a fairly proficient player and his fingers are all over the place.

In fact for me it's sometimes the reverse, If I see a player with poor technique live and then recall their music, I can't get the image of their goofy technique out my head
Quote by Jonashred
True, but it looks stupid and crap if you find a fairly proficient player and his fingers are all over the place.

Honestly I don't think anyone cares expect for a few guitarists on message boards.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by xkreedx
everyone's ring finger and pinky share the same tendon. you just need to strengthen your hand.

Really? I can get rid of that? Wonderful.
Does anyone know how I can do this?
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by xkreedx

THIS.

You just need to strengthen your hand. This problem will slowly go away with more strength and dexterity.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by skylerjames13

Finger exercises.

1-2-3-4
1-3-2-4
1-3-4-2-3-1-2

back and forth up and down the neck, and then do it again in reverse.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by skylerjames13

Do finger situps. What I mean it bend your finger starting with your pointer and bring it to your palm. Then do your bird finger, then your ring then your pinky. Do it when you aren't doing anything. I used to do that for piano to get my right hand strong.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by xkreedx
Do finger situps. What I mean it bend your finger starting with your pointer and bring it to your palm. Then do your bird finger, then your ring then your pinky. Do it when you aren't doing anything. I used to do that for piano to get my right hand strong.

When I do this, my ring finger moves along with my pinky. If I hold my ring finger back, my pinky can barely move at all. Is that normal? If I bend my pinky and my ring finger bends with it, is that bad?
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
When I do this, my ring finger moves along with my pinky. If I hold my ring finger back, my pinky can barely move at all. Is that normal? If I bend my pinky and my ring finger bends with it, is that bad?

It's not bad it's normal for a human hand.

What you need to do is train to be able to bend and move each finger without the other fingers moving. You can't change it over night, and you probably can't get rid of it 100%... but you can most definitely improve finger independence very much, with diligent repetitive training.

Have a look at this for starters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ

And google 'finger independence exercises'... they're all over the place.
Do some every day, and it will gradually get better with time.
Quote by Freepower
This is only slightly to do with finger strength, much more to do with independence - www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ

That vid details a practice method to teach your fingers not to curl up or jump away from the fretboard, 10 minutes a day is all you need to see results.

Okay thanks a lot! I'll try and remember to do those every day.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by Jonashred
I am no pro shredder yet, but I swear getting my pinky under some decent control was one of the easiest things out of everything.

Check out my practice vids and do a month or 2s brutal snail routine and your pinky problems will vanish.

I might add some more vids soon showing some alternative ideas I came up with, which really helped get my pinky under control.

any chance you could send me the links to those vids?
If creationists made Pokemon:
"What the, Pikachu is...Congratulations, God decided your Pikachu is now a Raichu."