I am looking for a new guitar, currently i have a lespaul copy which isnt bad, but certainly not great. I want a guitar that suits my blues, pop, funk&jazz playing.

Now the first thing i could think of would be a fender american standard either tele or strat. I like both sounds very much. But is fender really worth the money or am i paying a lot just for the brand?!

So, basically, what other brands are great for blues/pop/jazz/funk playing and are close to the price range of the american standard (around $1400) I know going to a shop would help me better than asking on the forum, but going to the shop would result in a fender standard since they would rant on about the fender, since they make the most money selling them.

So what would u recommend me to look at?
yes, they are worth the money. Looking back at MANY big guitar players, pointless to list them, alot of them have fender strats. Clearly proving that yes, they are worth there money. To make a choice between a strat or a tele is really personal preference but both are great. But if you really want to have a guitar of a different make then i guess you can always try out guitar sites? all guitars are good, its just a matter of personal preference
strat or tele. Try out MIM's and MIA's and then see if the MIA is worth the extra 600-700 bucks. I love my MIM 72' telecaster deluxe so a std strat or std tele should also be just as great.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
ok in that case i guess i'll go for the fender. Btw, call me stupid but what does MIM and MIA stand for? (feels stupid)
For blues, pop, funk and jazz you really should get either a strat or tele. You could always try other brands though, I figure some Ibanez might give you what you want, but that'll probably be far more expensive.

I'd recommend the strat though. It's fairly cheap compared to a LOT of other guitars you could get and get the same use of. You could also stick to the mexican strat, I've heard it shouldn't be much different to the american one. Some even say it's better. My best advice would be going to the shop and trying out a few.
I have an American Special telecaster, which is somewhat cheaper than the standard. I love it tho, and have yet to find anything wrong with it (ive had it for over a year). Check them out! They have Strats in that series too
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Quote by outstandingloud
yes, they are worth the money. Looking back at MANY big guitar players, pointless to list them, alot of them have fender strats. Clearly proving that yes, they are worth there money. To make a choice between a strat or a tele is really personal preference but both are great. But if you really want to have a guitar of a different make then i guess you can always try out guitar sites? all guitars are good, its just a matter of personal preference

Just because a bunch of big name players used them doesn't mean jack shit. There are many better models out there for a similar price range. With Gibson or Fender nowadays, you are paying for mostly the name. Jussayin

HOWEVER, the Fender customshop models are more than worth the money. So if you go through fender, and are willing to spend a few extra bucks, then go that route. You'd probably be better off going into a store and trying out as many different models as you can. Some prefer the MIAs, some prefer MIMs, and some hate them. So go try em out TS. Only real way to find out for sure.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

well it might not mean much but its kind of hard to say that there is no connection

fenders and gibsons might be slightly overrated but at the end of the day theyre just good instruments.

MIA=made in america
MIM-made in mexico

as to which are better i would say the american. doesnt mean that mim arent good. i havent tried many (3 or 4) and with the higher end ones i was impressed with the lower ends ones not so much
Maybe an American standard or special Strat with a pickup swap. I put some Custom Shop 69's in my standard a few months ago and they made it my #1 guitar. Best money have spent.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
There are many types of and many brands of guitar available in the market. There are some types of guitar as follws:

1)Acoustic Guitar
2) Bass Guitar
3)Electric Guitar
4)Lefty Guitar
5)Vintage Guitar
G&L man, G&L
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Fender guitars are generally worth every penny you spend on them.
For your purpose, I'd reccommend a strat because (in my opinion) it handles blues better than the Tele.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 28, 2011,