A few months ago, I was planning on getting a Blackstar HT-5 Combo amp for just some practice at home and maybe some recording. However, time has passed and I'm wondering if there are some better choices.

I play a lot of classic rock and blues (think Led Zeppelin or some GnR) as well as some heavier stuff like some Metal. I don't mind not being to play everything because I do have my Toneport and decent VST's to play through but I'd like something that would do classic rock and possibly metal with a pedal or something.

EDIT: I'll include what I posted below.

Budget is probably $700USD, that'd be max. Preferably new because it's very hard to get used gear over hear. I have a Fender Telecaster and a Jackson DKMG at the moment. And yeah, I still would like a low wattage combo amp.

Oh and just home practice and recording. No need to play over a drummer. Also just thought I'd mention that I'm most likely going to be ordering it unless I can find it in a store over here.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Last edited by iSlash at May 27, 2011,
Budget?

New or Used?

Current guitars?

Do you still want a low wattage amp, or something else?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Peavey XXX?

Budget first? Is used an option? I don't think the used market is so great over in HK either right?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^I wouldnt say the XXX is low watt? Unless your on about the JSX mini combo.

VHT Special 6 is IMO the best 5 watter on the market for the money.
The ultra version might be what you're looking for, youll deffinately need a good dirt pedal for metal. Barber Dirty Bomb is great.
Quote by beckyjc
^I wouldnt say the XXX is low watt? Unless your on about the JSX mini combo.

Well no its not, but if he can get it used, I think its great for the additional head room. IMO its one of the more versatile amp that'll meet his range of tone and be relatively affordable.

Yes, before you bring it up, I know its a little bright for classic rock and blues, but with a little EQing, some darker preamp tubes or a dark OD, it'll get the tone just nice.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by GibsonMan321
Budget?

New or Used?

Current guitars?

Do you still want a low wattage amp, or something else?

this.

and are you playing with a drummer at any point or just home practice?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sorry, forgot to mention that stuff in the original post.

Budget is probably $700USD, that'd be max. Preferably new because it's very hard to get used gear over hear. I have a Fender Telecaster and a Jackson DKMG at the moment. And yeah, I still would like a low wattage combo amp.

Oh and just home practice and recording. No need to play over a drummer. Also just thought I'd mention that I'm most likely going to be ordering it unless I can find it in a store over here.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Last edited by iSlash at May 27, 2011,
^ based on that. (and assuming the amp is more expensive there.)

Quote by beckyjc
VHT Special 6 is IMO the best 5 watter on the market for the money.
The ultra version might be what you're looking for, youll deffinately need a good dirt pedal for metal. Barber Dirty Bomb is great.

i'd have to agree with becky, and they make a special 6 ultra combo. and about the pedal as well.

but there may be other options available though that others more familiar with your market can recommend.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 27, 2011,
Matamp Minimat 2 ?

EDIT: It also comes in combo but it's kinda expensive
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at May 27, 2011,
I'd say I'm still leaning towards the Blackstar HT-5, any more suggestions?
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind

Jet City JCA20? I know for a fact its def available in HK and it should not be much louder than the HT5.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by iSlash
I'd say I'm still leaning towards the Blackstar HT-5, any more suggestions?

i suggest you ditch the ht5 idea and fast. i play a lot of the same stuff as you and used the head ht5 with a closed back orange 112 with a greenback for 6 months. sad to report, the amp has no balls. and by balls i mean bass response. and you want that for metal/classic rock.

getting an amp with an actual power tube is going to do the things you want a lot better.

i'm not "h8in' the ht5". i'm a previous owner that plays the same stuff.
Anymore last minute suggestions?

The Matamp Minimat 2 looks awesome but I wouldn't be able to get it here.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind

just know, that if you get the ht5. in less than 6 months you will be back here looking for a new amp.

i recommend you go try the VHT special 6 ultra combo.
Quote by gregs1020
just know, that if you get the ht5. in less than 6 months you will be back here looking for a new amp.

i recommend you go try the VHT special 6 ultra combo.

Yeah, I'm actually leaning towards the VHT now, checked out a couple of demo's and they do sound rather good.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind

ya the vht's are pretty good

the orange tiny terror is pretty affordable too.

the chinese made voxes i think could be had for around 700.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer