Hey guys, I really hate how my SG standard is always going out of tune, especially the g and b strings. My cousin said he changed tuners from the green key stock ones and it helped lots.

Anyone know of any that will help and are a direct replacement? I mean I don't want to drill any new holes and I want to do it at home by myself. Thanks.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
get the nut sorted, gibson usa generally don't cut them well, however, gibson's custom shop is fine...
I don't know if they require and extra drilling, but getting locking tuners is a great investment, and you won't have to tune again. I have Sperzels on my strat I have not had to do any serious tuning for about 6 months now, and that is using the (floating) trem constantly. On a stop-tail like an LP you probably wont have to tune for a long, long time.

I would check out Sperzel, Schaller and Planet Waves Auto trim tuners. Those 3 seem to be about the best you can get.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
A lot of the tuning stability also depends on how well you restring your guitar.
It's not always the tuners' fault.
Restring it properly, stretch the strings and set it up before you spend money on getting new tuners and see if it's better.
my bet is that the nut needs a little cleaning up. i have done that on one or two of my gibsons, and then the tuning issues go away.

also as far as sperzel tuners go, stay away. i had two of them fail me on the first month. they wouldn't even honor warranty. i know what i am doing when it comes to this type of stuff, and it was not my fault, they were either defective or poorly designed.

schaller, grover (i have on one gibson and love them) or gotoh is what i would get if i wanted locking tuners again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
From my personal experience, if you're replacing the green vintage style Gisbon tuners you might have to drill the holes bigger. I know that Grover tuners have a bigger diameter so if you go with Grover you'll definitely have to drill them bigger. I'm not too familiar with the sizes of other brands, though.
Before you go buying new tuners, do like some other people have said and make sure the nut isn't the problem and that you are restringing correctly. Make sure you have A LEAST one full wind of string around the tuning peg and make sure you lubricate the nut. You can buy lubricant or just use a pencil and "draw" in the slots. I do the latter and have never had problems. Just make sure you get the bottom and sides of the slot and you shouldn't have problems. One way to tell if the nut needs lubricated is if you hear a high-pitched "tink" noise when you're tuning. When it comes to stretching strings, I usually tune up after I get all the strings on (and before I clip the excess off, although it probably doesn't matter) and then proceed to stretch all of the strings by pulling on them and even holding my guitar up by them (don't be too violent if you're going to do that...). Then, I repeat that process until there is almost no difference in tuning after I stretch the strings.

You may also want to make sure that you aren't warping the neck. If you have thicker strings, the truss rod may need adjusted to compensate for this. Also, if you use thicker-gauge strings, you may need to file the slots in the nut out some so that the string isn't pinched in the slot. There shouldn't be excess room, but the string should fit in and out of the slot without any effort or hassle.

If you've checked all of this and are still having problems, then it's probably best that you replace your tuners. I recommend Grover personally, as that is what I use on my Epi Les Paul and I've never had problems with tuning. However, I have had experience with Schaller and Gotoh and have never experienced problems with those brands either.