Which one helps improve playing? I've been so busy writing songs (thats how I learned to play) that I haven't learned a new song in nearly a year. I'm kinda debating on whether to continue my writing method or to go back and start learning other songs to kinda refresh my palate because I'm in a bit of a rut. What would you guys say?
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Well that entirely depends, are you writing songs that fall well within what you can easily do? Would you learn songs that would push your playing?

If you either write or learn songs that push your technique and knowledge then you will improve, you won't get better by just sticking to what you can easily do, whether you're writing or learning.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks! I've been writing above my playing ability so that I have to catch-up to play the songs and widen my understanding of composing, and that is helpful, but I've been a bit stuck and things sound the same (the songs are still pushing me to learn) so are there any bands or guitar players I should checkout. Genre doesn't matter, but I'm pretty well versed in metal.
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Learning new songs helps improve your playing and your writing imo. You pull stuff from other people and their writing styles, and you grow from it. And you learn stuff that is completely new and foreign and its always a challenge. You could probably get better at playing if you just wrote harder stuff though. lol
Quote by sonny bb
so are there any bands or guitar players I should checkout. Genre doesn't matter, but I'm pretty well versed in metal.

Look up christian muenzners solo album. Wasteland is a crazy song to listen to. There is always dream theater, nevermore, marty friedman, paul gilbert, all of those guys really helped me with my playing and with my writing.
probably some new songs that you know you can't play yet. but if you write songs away from your guitar, you might come up with some pretty tough stuff anyway.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Learning to play songs outside of your skill is always a fun challenge, to me at least, and it gives you a perspective on how other players compose/play. As you start slowly and begin working at it, the noticeable progress is a huge morale boost. I recommend learning songs or listening to songs outside of your preferred genre (which I'm guessing is metal)...its where my roots are too, but I find that I can always extrapolate a cool new lick or sound out of the blues/jazz/classic rock/alternative/etc
Quote by arunawayslave
I recommend learning songs or listening to songs outside of your preferred genre (which I'm guessing is metal)...its where my roots are too, but I find that I can always extrapolate a cool new lick or sound out of the blues/jazz/classic rock/alternative/etc

I do listen to alot of metal, but I listen to Blues, Alternative, and jazz but only the more mainstream stuff, what I meant was to ask for some more underground, less mainstream stuff to inspire me some more.
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Learn new songs to learn new things. Write songs to develop the new things.

E.g. Learn a paul gilbert tune to see what kind of pattern he does for his string skipping. Then apply what i've learnt into a song using it in a way that's more comfortable to me... Then i've learnt a technique used by one of my favorite guitarists and made it sound my own way.

Toodles, Julz.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp