Page 1 of 2
Has anyone here experienced it? I just did for the first time very early this morning around 4:15 A.M. and needless to say it really freaked me out.

I was lucid dreaming, which is something I've never done before, and I was at work in my dream. I couldn't find any light, and it was very dark. Not pitch black, so I could see a little bit, but still pretty damn dark. I can't remember if anyone was with me at work, but that's not really important. I was trying to find a light switch, or a light source but I couldn't find anything. Work then turned into me being in my bedroom, in my bed. In the exact same position I was in when I went to bed. My laptop was sitting in the exact same spot on my bed along with my phone in the dream. Once again, it was very dark. I tried to grab my phone to get some light, but it wasn't turning on. Tried to do the same with my laptop, and I flipped up the screen and it didn't turn on either. Right around this time I woke up, I think. I just remember feeling my body lock up, while being conscious, with my eyes closed. This went on for about 5-10 seconds. I was desperately trying to open my eyes, as it was causing me to panic quite a bit. After that I was then able to open my eyes, and I had this amazing sensation throughout my whole body as I regained control of it. I then just kind of sat there for about half an hour not really able to comprehend what had just happened.

It was definitely an interesting experience, albeit, scary. Anyone else ever have this happen to you?
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
isn't it possible you were dreaming you were conscious?

kidding. i've never had it happen to me, last month i hallucinated a dragon in my room for 30 seconds after i woke up, though. turns out i wasn't really awake.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste

kidding. i've never had it happen to me, last month i hallucinated a dragon in my room for 30 seconds after i woke up, though. turns out i wasn't really awake.

It's called a false awakening.
Quote by laid-to-waste

So that means... IM STILL DREAMING!? haha

But yeah, I was definitely conscious during the whole thing. The actual dream is a bit fuzzy, but during the paralysis part I was completely cognitive.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
It happens sometimes and it's perfectly normal. Most people don't know that when we sleep our body IS "paralyzed" because all muscles are locked to prevent movements while we dream. When we wake up the "paralysis" should disappear instantly, but sometimes it doesn't happen. Don't worry.
Quote by Poglia
It happens sometimes and it's perfectly normal. Most people don't know that when we sleep our body IS "paralyzed" because all muscles are locked to prevent movements while we dream. When we wake up the "paralysis" should disappear instantly, but sometimes it doesn't happen. Don't worry.

Yeah, I looked it up and found that out. But, the hallucinations, and lucid dreaming that can accompany it are pretty weird.

Quote by metaldud536
It's called a false awakening.

that's kind of implied.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
So that means... IM STILL DREAMING!? haha

But yeah, I was definitely conscious during the whole thing. The actual dream is a bit fuzzy, but during the paralysis part I was completely cognitive.

that does seem quite frightening.
I get it quite a lot. The first time was really quite scary as I kept on waking and sleeping and I was hallucinating kaleidoscopic patterns all over my bedroom, and in the end hallucinating that I was in a different room. But now I tend to just try to get back to sleep, which usually works and then I wake up and can move.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by darkcheef
That's what happens when you don't put your ketchup in the fridge

IT KEEPS MY KETCHUP LASTING A LITTLE LONGER

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Yeah, I looked it up and found that out. But, the hallucinations, and lucid dreaming that can accompany it are pretty weird.
Yeah, they can be pretty scary, but there's nothing to worry about. It happened to me too.
Quote by DigUpHerBones
I get it quite a lot. The first time was really quite scary as I kept on waking and sleeping and I was hallucinating kaleidoscopic patterns all over my bedroom, and in the end hallucinating that I was in a different room. But now I tend to just try to get back to sleep, which usually works and then I wake up and can move.

I saw those right after I was able to open my eyes! Just crazy patterns all over.

Quote by GezzyDiversion
It happened to me around 3 or 4 years ago, I awoke to 'see' an army of a thousand small red devil creatures approaching my bed holding flaming torches and pitchforks. I was shit scared.

wat

Quote by Poglia

It happens to all creatures, supposedly. I've seen a cat that had its paralysis disabled... when it was dreaming it was running around chasing and attacking invisible things. Funny, but creepy as hell.
I've had it a couple of times; pretty much exactly as you described it. It's pretty scary when you feel awake but can't move or even breath. Fortunately I've never had any of the hallucinations that some people experience along with it, otherwise I'd probably shit my pants.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
There's over 9000 threads about this now...am I the only person on UG who's never had sleep paralysis?

Probably not. This was the first time I've ever experienced it.

I did notice that I was lucid dreaming. I don't know how I was able to achieve that, as it's never happened to me before. Because, honestly it was pretty cool when I lucid dreaming, being able to kind of control what I was doing.

I regularly sleep on my arms and wake up with my top half of my body completely numb, so scary, cos I always get paranoid that if I try and move at all, I'll accidently break my wrist or something
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Last edited by blues_to_thrash at May 27, 2011,
Quote by blues_to_thrash
I regularly sleep on my arms and wake up with my top half of my body completely numb, so scary, cos I always get paranoid that if I try and move at all, I'll accidently break my wrist or something

I don't think that has anything to do with sleep paralysis. But yes, that is a crazy experience as well. I remember I woke up when I was kid and I couldn't move my arm at all. I was freaking out.

sleep paralysis sucks. It scares the shit out of me every time it happens
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I've had a couple of times before. IMO it seems to be it has something to do with not getting enough air.

And sometimes when I'm drifting off to sleep I wake up for a couple of seconds when I feel like I'm 'falling' into bed.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Last edited by Grimriffer at May 27, 2011,
I've had it twice I think. The first time I saw in my dream I went to sleep, my bedroom in the dream was the same as it really is. At some point I like became aware of my real body and I started to hear this static noise, you know that buzzing and stuff you get when you're trying to find a radio station. I was facing the room and I suspected that it was the sleep paralysis, because I had read about it earlier, so I didn't open my eyes to avoid seeing grazy shit. I tried to turn myself to face the wall and it felt that my body or the blanket was really heavy, so it was difficult to move. I just waited for the buzzing to disappear and then opened my eyes.
It kinda felt like I was waking up gradually.

The second time happened when I decided to take a nap after reading some story about sleep paralysis, the hag and mimicry in the nightmare thread. This time it wasn't so gradual, but I just suddenly woke up and heard like a babbling of a baby and it was kinda difficult to breathe and I felt really panicky. This time I also avoided opening my eyes until the sounds were gone.

Oh and one time I actually died in my sleep without waking up.
Quote by -Mantra-

Oh and one time I actually died in my sleep without waking up.

Care to elaborate?

Gone through hypnagogia while trying to get myself to sleep. It's a little different, I couldn't control my random tossing and turning, and I had a lot of weird sensory effects as I recall, like an intense static noise the entire time.
Another thread on this?
What? You're all in some kind of "Memento" state of mind and you all forget about these threads that get made every week? Am I the only one who remembers? Do I need to tattoo it on every single one of you?
never happened to me, but i really wanna lucid dream haha
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
At least you got a lucid dream prior to it. I've experienced sleep paralysis more times than I can think of and I've never had a lucid dream in my life.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by JustRooster
There's a thread on this shit at least once a month.

i know, this shit feels like a recurring dream.
Quote by JustRooster
There's a thread on this shit at least once a month.

Thank god, Jake. You and I seem to be the only survivors in this amnesiac apocalyptic wasteland.
Quote by DonGlover
At least you got a lucid dream prior to it. I've experienced sleep paralysis more times than I can think of and I've never had a lucid dream in my life.

Unfortunately the lucid dream was somewhat disturbing and nearly panic inducing. haha. But I wouldn't mind having a pleasant lucid dream at all.

EDIT: Also, sorry for not using the search bar. I made this thread right when I woke up this morning, as I was still pretty baffled and shocked. Well, not after waking up from the paralysis, but after waking up from my normal sleep. haha

Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at May 27, 2011,
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Unfortunately the lucid dream was somewhat disturbing and nearly panic inducing. haha. But I wouldn't mind having a pleasant lucid dream at all.

isn't one of the features of a lucid dream is you're omnipotent?

you can just like have sex with megan fox and shit on her eye, but it's not immoral, because in your dream, megan fox loves to get shit on her eye.
Quote by laid-to-waste
isn't one of the features of a lucid dream is you're omnipotent?

you can just like have sex with megan fox and shit on her eye, but it's not immoral, because in your dream, megan fox loves to get shit on her eye.

Hmm, maybe I didn't have one. It definitely felt like I was able to control some parts of it though. Whatever happened that shit was weird. It could just be because of the part when I was in my bedroom, it was perfect. Everything was in the right place as it was when I went to bed, and I was in the same spot.

§ha yeah, I do whatever I want when lucid, but surprisingly it never really gets too hardcore, kind of wish I was more perverted. I've had the paralysis a couple of times, hate it, thought I was gonna die.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Hmm, maybe I didn't have one. It definitely felt like I was able to control some parts of it though. Whatever happened that shit was weird. It could just be because of the part when I was in my bedroom, it was perfect. Everything was in the right place as it was when I went to bed, and I was in the same spot.

and you knew you were dreaming while you were dreaming?

it sounds more like a high level lucid dream from what i'm hearing. low level lucidity would involve the omnipotence, and not being completely aware of the fact that everything is a creation of the mind, and you could still think some things are real, ie not being at a 'clear mental state'.
I hate it. I always try to move my head and it always moves towards the pillow to suffocate me >.>
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
Quote by laid-to-waste
and you knew you were dreaming while you were dreaming?

it sounds more like a high level lucid dream from what i'm hearing. low level lucidity would involve the omnipotence, and not being completely aware of the fact that everything is a creation of the mind, and you could still think some things are real, ie not being at a 'clear mental state'.

I wouldn't really say I knew that I was dreaming. Maybe it wasn't a lucid dream after all. Still pretty disturbing though. I was just thinking of something though. I have a feeling that I was trying to open my eyes throughout the whole dream. Seeing as the entire dream pretty much revolved around me trying to light up the room at work, and my bedroom, yet being unable to do it. Thus maybe making me freak out and wake me up in the dream.

Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I wouldn't really say I knew that I was dreaming. Maybe it wasn't a lucid dream after all. Still pretty disturbing though. I was just thinking of something though. I have a feeling that I was trying to open my eyes throughout the whole dream. Seeing as the entire dream pretty much revolved around me trying to light up the room at work, and my bedroom, yet being unable to do it. Thus maybe making me freak out and wake me up in the dream.

if you can remember it in more detail, it's probably a vivid dream rather than a lucid dream. are you taking any new meds? pretty much all meds have vivid dreaming as a possible side effect.
Page 1 of 2