I'm looking for a low watt tube amp to use at home so under 15watts. At the moment I only have £200 but im trying to gather some more money by selling off some old gear and other things. I play mainly the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, R.E.M, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Jack Johnson etc. Im going to a some of my local guitar shops tomorrow but I was wondering if I can find anything online which may be worth while because as far as I know my local shops stock -

- Vox AC4tv
- Marshall Class 5
- VHT Special 6
- Blackstar HT-1 and HT-5

Is there anything online which I should look at?
just bear in mind that if they don't have a master volume that 5 watts tube is still very, very loud for a home situation.

the only one i've tried out of those is the vht special 6... it's very nice for the money- noticeably better than things like the valve junior etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Fender Champ 600, for me, it has been great. Although the 6" speaker is a bit small, I use it all the time at home. Hooked up to a 2x12, I have been able to play with a drummer, admittedly, not at gig levels, but certainly for rehearsals.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
I suppose that is a problem, but the newer class 5's have a low power switch and the AC4 has the attenuation modes. However there are always pedals I've got an SD-1 and a Germainium Big Muff Pi which help.

Has anyone tried the VHT Special 6 ultra? and correct me if I'm wrong will the VHt accept any octal power tube?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just bear in mind that if they don't have a master volume that 5 watts tube is still very, very loud for a home situation.

the only one i've tried out of those is the vht special 6... it's very nice for the money- noticeably better than things like the valve junior etc.

i have the VHT special 6 ultra and it is a damn nice amp for a pretty low price
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
(a) I suppose that is a problem, but the newer class 5's have a low power switch and the AC4 has the attenuation modes. However there are always pedals I've got an SD-1 and a Germainium Big Muff Pi which help.

(b) Has anyone tried the VHT Special 6 ultra? and correct me if I'm wrong will the VHt accept any octal power tube?

(a) yep, that's true. I just meant that anything which doesn't have some form of attenuation or lower wattage mode and which doesn't have a master volume will be loud if you want amp breakup. Pedals will help too, sure.

(b) far as i'm aware the normal special 6 will... i assume the ultra will too (though don't quote me, you could always email vht to be sure). FWIW though, the valves are a bit of a tight fit in the special 6 combo (might be different in the ultra as it has a 12" speaker and, i assume, bigger cab), so while technically it can take most octal power tubes, they won't all necessarily fit as the speaker might be in the way
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Scarified96
You should Check out Tone Americana Evil Robot. It's an amazing low watt amp. You can find it exclusively at http://www.frettedamericana.com/

it's not class A and it's not that amazing for the price. you can get it made by someone for much cheaper.

it's an old magnatone circuit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Definitely try the AC4!

I've got one and its just brilliant for home use. Its much more versatile than you'd think because of the switchable wattage. You can easily find a sweet spot between crunch and clean using the amps and guitars' volume. I don't want to sound like a VOX advert but i'm completely blown away by the sound of this amp for its price.

If it had reverb it'd be perfect imo

I got the amp for £149 off ebay and I play everything you listed except Jack Johnson and Foo Fighters through a tele.
Omg this guitar shop sucks
comon rebecca blackkkkk
you are kidding me right???
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Go for the Vox, ideal for what you are looking for and it does take pedals well, but maybe the head and cab or make sure you get the 10" speaker not the 8"!
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV
Marshall MG30DFX (now gone! )
Laney VC15 110 on the way!

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
Thanks for the help everyone, I ended up going for the Vox. I tried the Class 5 first (but it was the older version which didn't have the low power mode) it was a bit too loud for home, then I tried the Vox and my mind was settled. Went for the head + Cab version because it sounded bigger, fuller got it for £300 and part-exed two of my old guitars (squier affinty strat and a Vintage VS6) and got it down to just under £220 so I'm happy