hi, i want to start songwriting after 2.5 years of guitar playing,my favorite style is solo albums of andy james,petrucci,some other instrumental shred songs now i have these questions:

as i see most of these use 7string guitars and use drop d or drop c tunings.can i get these sounds with a 6 string guitar?(i'm buying an esp mii and if i need a 7string i must change my buying plan)

can somebody please tell me the differences of drop d and drop c between a 6 string and seven strings and the advantages of 7 string guitars in this style of music?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
hey james.hetfield, i'm digging the username.
yeah, you can tune a 6-string to achieve those sounds, but it's not the best. you can tune down to BEADGB or CGCFAD, but your strings will be loose and all that unless you get it set-up for that tuning.
if you have your eye on a seven string, buy it. the only thing i regret about buying a 7 is that i have to spend an extra dollar every time i restring it, and that's nothing.
Quote by james.hetfield
most of these use 7string guitars OR use drop d or drop c tunings.

I don't know of Pertucci using Drop-D on anything, and his 7-string stuff is, AFAIK, exclusively in Standard (BEADGBE)

Just buy a 7 and keep it in standard. Tune the 6th string down a step to D when you need to play a Drop-D song.

Then buy a 6 and keep it down a step (DGCFAD). Tune the 6th string down a step to C when you need to cover those Drop-C songs.
A seven string lets you do lower tuned rhythm parts while retaining the option to go all twiddly-twiddly on the e-string. They're actually really versatile. If you want to get a new six-string, you won't be unable to play most of Petrucci's stuff. He uses a lot of different tunings, but the majority of Dream Theater's music uses six string guitars in E standard.

There really isn't much by way of disadvantage in getting a seven string besides the cost. It opens up the bottom end of a guitar's range without compromising the upper range. If you can get a hold of one, try it out. I know I don't regret getting mine.
Quote by k3v1n shr3dz
I don't know of Pertucci using Drop-D on anything

Home from Metropolis Part 2: SFAM He's also used C standard, D standard, Eb standard and A standard on a baritone along with the 7 string work

TS: Get a 7 string, you won't regret it; there is literally no disadvantage to using one.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Home from Metropolis Part 2: SFAM He's also used C standard, D standard, Eb standard and A standard on a baritone along with the 7 string work.

Absolutely correct. As far as I know that's also the only song he uses Drop D on. Apart from baritone A, he uses baritone Bb sometimes as well.

/Petruccifanboy
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
Absolutely correct. As far as I know that's also the only song he uses Drop D on. Apart from baritone A, he uses baritone Bb sometimes as well.

/Petruccifanboy

According to the metal forum tuning thread he's also used Drop D on Space Dye Vest (Awake) and Misunderstood (SDoIT), which I did not know... crazy amount of tunings that bastard uses

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
According to the metal forum tuning thread he's also used Drop D on Space Dye Vest (Awake) and Misunderstood (SDoIT), which I did not know... crazy amount of tunings that bastard uses

Oh, yeah. That could well be true his touring gear also consists of about 20 different guitars for his different tunings including doubles to switch ater songs whenever he's out of tune. Yeah, crazy bastard he is
you could tune your 6-string in perfect fifths and get almost 8 string range (and huge chord streches i asume)

but overal - 7-string ftw. Sort of regret not geting schecter omen 7 over my 6 string
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by hr113
you could tune your 6-string in perfect fifths and get almost 8 string range (and huge chord streches i asume)

but overal - 7-string ftw. Sort of regret not geting schecter omen 7 over my 6 string

Yeah, you could, but it would be pretty useless. However some people use i for certain stuff, including Robert Fripp who 'invented' the New Standard Tuning.

I would recommend getting a Seven String though. I bought one last weekend and absolutely love it, though I highly doubt it will ever replace my trusty six-stringed axe. It will serve very well as an extra guitar for certain (lower) stuff.
Quote by RDSElite
Yeah, you could, but it would be pretty useless. However some people use i for certain stuff, including Robert Fripp who 'invented' the New Standard Tuning.

I would recommend getting a Seven String though. I bought one last weekend and absolutely love it, though I highly doubt it will ever replace my trusty six-stringed axe. It will serve very well as an extra guitar for certain (lower) stuff.

Yeah, the "new standard". haven't tried it, but the idea seems fairly cool, not sure how practical tho...

Why would you say it's useless? Have any experience with it? If so do share. I'm tempted to try it sometime this summer when i've got more time
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by hr113
Why would you say it's useless? Have any experience with it? If so do share. I'm tempted to try it sometime this summer when i've got more time

Well, no, I don't have experience with it, but I can't image how it would be very useful for guitar. There's not a whole lot of material out there for guitars tuned like that and I suppose it gives you too much spacing between the notes. On the other hand of course, it could give you a whole new approach on how to play the guitars since your notes are all over the place all of a sudden.

I guess ' useless' is not the best word, but I personally wouldn't do it. Call me boring, but I'd rather stick to the conventional tunings and the Drop D's and the likes now and then.
Quote by Geldin
A seven string lets you do lower tuned rhythm parts while retaining the option to go all twiddly-twiddly on the e-string.mine.

you mean 7 string equals to a guitar that you get all the drop d c c# tuning without changing the guitar tuning?i mean power d,c,c#.. chords with root on 7 string do the exact 6 string lower tuning job well?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Quote by james.hetfield
you mean 7 string equals to a guitar that you get all the drop d c c# tuning without changing the guitar tuning?i mean power d,c,c#.. chords with root on 7 string do the exact 6 string lower tuning job well?

In standard 7 string tuning you have access to a B below the E on a 6 string guitar and also retain access to the high 24th fret E that you would do on a similar 6 string.

I don't know if that answers your question but tbh I didn't really understand what you were saying...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
i mean do 7 string players get for example d power chord with root on 7 string or down tune the 6 string to d to get heavier tone of the chord and just use 7 string for shredding?i mean i dont need to down tune the e string for playing heavier rhythms anymore with a 7 string?
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Quote by james.hetfield
i mean do 7 string players get for example d power chord with root on 7 string or down tune the 6 string to d to get heavier tone of the chord and just use 7 string for shredding?i mean i dont need to down tune the e string for playing heavier rhythms anymore with a 7 string?

No, the 7th string is generally tuned to B below the low E so you automatically have much heavier tones than a standard 6 string. Obviously you can tune that down as well, currently I have mine tuned (low to high): GDGCFAD or ADGCFAD. In terms of how you use it or how it plays... that's entirely up to you, it's an instrument so you do what you want with it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by k3v1n shr3dz
I don't know of Pertucci using Drop-D on anything, and his 7-string stuff is, AFAIK, exclusively in Standard (BEADGBE)
I love how I get laughed at for statements that are factually accurate. I did not know of a single song on which JP used a drop tuning, now I do. His 7-string stuff isn't detuned.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
He's also used C standard, D standard, Eb standard and A standard
These are not DROP tunings, nor are they on a 7-string.

OP asked about using Drop-D and Drop-C on 7-string. JP doesn't do this. bulb and Tosin do, but not JP.
Quote by james.hetfield
most of these use 7string guitars and use drop d or drop c tuning

OP, just buy a 7-string. I did about 8 years ago and I would never go back to 6-strings. It's not only because of the super low stuff, it's that your range is increased significantly in every position.