Well, I just got mixcraft and beatcraft this morning. Needless to say, all I've been doing is goofing around with making drum loops and then recording guitar back at them.

Here's what I came up with so far, just messing around learning the programs really. The name of this song is I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL IM DOING. I did the drums in beatcraft, then layed down the bass and just did a quick improv guitar solo over it in mixcraft (recording via USB, with my Boss GT-10). Overall, the drum track took an hour and a half and both the bass and the guitar took less than 10 minutes put together.

So, am I a natural at this recording shit or what?

C4C obviously!

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=oUFSpW

Thanks haha
Last edited by cm880999 at May 27, 2011,
Thanks guys - Yeah I'm a complete noob with this beatcraft business.. Practice makes perfect, right? Any other critiques in that area are greatly appriciated!
omg the first note sounded like john frusciantes guitar. that was interesting. very nice playing, you should have the hi hat go open for a change up. but that was sick. and yes, that is a tasty snare lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
omg the first note sounded like john frusciantes guitar. that was interesting. very nice playing, you should have the hi hat go open for a change up. but that was sick. and yes, that is a tasty snare lol

All time favorite critique of my playing.. glued a smile to my face for the rest of the day. Thank you so much! Love that guy, dig his style. The rhythm guitar in this also has a very RHCP funk feel to it - it's just not turned up enough in the mix, and I started the solo stuff right ontop of it. But it's very nice to hear that the style of such a great guitarist has rubbed off on my playing, and it's audible. Very much appriciated!
sounds good, the only problem i had was the hi-hat. you should try using 2 different hi-hats that way it sounds more "real" i guess you can say. when you use the same one and use it in triplets it sounds fake.

can you check out my song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27251562#post27251562
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Warned for having the wrong opinion.
Last edited by crypticslaughtr at May 28, 2011,
Quote by crypticslaughtr
sounds good, the only problem i had was the hi-hat. you should try using 2 different hi-hats that way it sounds more "real" i guess you can say. when you use the same one and use it in triplets it sounds fake.

can you check out my song?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27251562#post27251562

Thank you. Could you please elaborate a little bit on what you mean? Say in a triplet for example, you're saying use 1 hi hat for the 1 and 3, and a different one for the 2? Makes sense in an abstract sort of way - I'm a complete beginner to beatcraft, and it'd be unfair to say I have done anything other then get my feet wet in the world of recording. So any tips like this are greatly appriciated.

Checking out your song now!
I checked out both your posts, I liked this one more so I commented here lol. Loved the guitar in this. I'm listening through some dodgy laptop speaker so the drums don't strike me as being too jarring. Really chilled out stuff man, perfect for the Sunday morning and very impressive guitar improv the tone is really warm, makes me smile.

My only complaint is that it was too short lol looking forward to hearing some more stuff man keep it up!
Did you record this with a Telecaster by chance?

You've definitely got that twang going on. Add some nice reverb and a touch of delay and you will have a killer tone for soloing.

Loved the palm muting on your faster runs, that is something I like to do as well. I think it gives a more soulful feel.

This is my favorite piece from you so far

I would love to see you incorporate some scripture or sermon pieces into a recording.
Quote by bitterend85
Did you record this with a Telecaster by chance?

You've definitely got that twang going on. Add some nice reverb and a touch of delay and you will have a killer tone for soloing.

Loved the palm muting on your faster runs, that is something I like to do as well. I think it gives a more soulful feel.

This is my favorite piece from you so far

I would love to see you incorporate some scripture or sermon pieces into a recording.

Nope, Gibson Explorer > Boss GT-10 processor > Mixcraft via USB.

Would the incorporation of scripture or sermon idea have anything to do with me listing the genre as 'Gospel' by any chance? Because I kinda just did that jokingly, just wondering where the idea came from haha.

Thank you for the kind words!
Few things...
the snare has way to much reverb. Unless your going for like an 80s feel.
the guitar and bass and a good tone
the high hat is way loud. could probably stand for a 6-9dB drop in volume.
the high hat also sound kinda to synthy. try cutting between the attack and the presense.

overall the notes and stuff are great and catchy. good songwriting just some mix stuff here and there.

...here is my track...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446549