I am restringing, and my tuner says all the strings are in tune but there are loose (really loose) and sound terrible together any ideas?
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Wrong octave?

EDIT: Did you press the bass button on your tuner and tune it to that? Or did you press the flat button?
Maybe wrong string gauge.

Or yeah, wrong octave.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
im gonna go with wrong octave. start tuning an octave higher, and make sure strings dont snap.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
You probably have them tuned to the wrong notes. A tuner usually doesn't know which string you're tuning, it just knows what it hears and whether what it's hearing is close to what it's programmed for. So if you tune your A string to the neighboring low E your tuner will think everything's cool, but your A string will be loose and off key.
Wrong octave. Use another guitar as a reference.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Spud Spudly
You probably have them tuned to the wrong notes. A tuner usually doesn't know which string you're tuning, it just knows what it hears and whether what it's hearing is close to what it's programmed for. So if you tune your A string to the neighboring low E your tuner will think everything's cool, but your A string will be loose and off key.

You don't know how a tuner works, do you?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Tuning it all to the right note, right ocave (by the sounds) and guage is 0.12-0.53 is that light?
Quote by kbabz22
Tuning it all to the right note, right ocave (by the sounds) and guage is 0.12-0.53 is that light?

You''re not holding the chord down with a few odd notes are you? Haha!

Yeah, I don't know what's up. It should be very obvious if you're in the wrong octave and if you're in the right octave.
Quote by kbabz22

You know that acoustics are generally looser than electrics, right?
Quote by Todd Hart

wat

Acoustics usually have higher gauge strings and higher action, so they're therefore looser?
Well the strings would have to be tight to be in the right octave, your gauge isn't light. If the string is really loose, like you say, it would not be in the right octave. Your tuner could be broken, listen and compare it to another guitar or use an online guitar tuner that plays the right frequency and tune it to that see if that helps

EDIT: your guitar is magic, your tuner is broken, or you're in the wrong octave, or you bought electric guitar strings, but the gauge is on medium high end...idk you should be able to hear a difference in octave, and if your tuner was broken your ears could tell and electric guitar strings wouldn't be extremely loose if tuned correctly, so I am just going to conclude your guitar defies physics
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at May 27, 2011,
Quote by Todd Hart

Uhh... .012 strings end up being looser than .010's...? No, acoustics are generally holding a heavier amount of tension and are therefore tighter under your fingers.
Quote by L2112Lif
Uhh... .012 strings end up being looser than .010's...? No, acoustics are generally holding a heavier amount of tension and are therefore tighter under your fingers.

Really? My acoustic has always been tighter than my electric.

That's rather concerning.
Not using electric guitar strings just found out more of a problem, I played open A and the tuner said A, then I played the first fret and it said I was playin a B instead of a A#, I think the intonation might be out but, I'm not sure because it was fine with the last set of strings.
Quote by Todd Hart

He has a point.
Cheap tuners do have that problem, I encountered it in my early days as a guitarist. You could quite easily tune your A string to E, or your B string to E or G
Quote by SkepsisMetal
He has a point.
Cheap tuners do have that problem, I encountered it in my early days as a guitarist. You could quite easily tune your A string to E, or your B string to E or G

My tuner occasionally confuses E and C, and F and A, but surely you can pick up the fact that it's displaying the wrong note?
Quote by kbabz22
Not using electric guitar strings just found out more of a problem, I played open A and the tuner said A, then I played the first fret and it said I was playin a B instead of a A#, I think the intonation might be out but, I'm not sure because it was fine with the last set of strings.

Abandon tuner. Use online tuner as reference. See what happens.
Intonation problem wouldn't give you loose strings would it? yeah tuner could be bad, but you should be able to hear that. I suggest going to youtube and using video to help you that just plays the strings so you can make sure its not your tuner
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
I think it's your tuner TS, sometimes if I don't replace the batteries in mine, strings end up being the wrong note. At random points in time, the tuner would show for example A when no string is being played.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
the tune was accurate, I tried playing a small riff using the three notes (E,A and B) and it sounded perfect, so I ****ed up somewhere while restringing
Quote by Todd Hart

You're right, I only have 3 of them. I'm just not explaining it well. If one string is so off that it sounds like another the tuner might tell you to tune up when you really need to tune down. It happens.
Yeah, Spudly, it happens to me a lot. The best way is an A440 tuning fork. 12th fret natural harmonic on the A string, adjust until the pitches match.

Awh yeah 8)
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Spud Spudly
You're right, I only have 3 of them. I'm just not explaining it well. If one string is so off that it sounds like another the tuner might tell you to tune up when you really need to tune down. It happens.

He is right.

This is why it's best to get one that's chromatic and not described as a guitar tuner. Guitar tuners will be programmed to pick up standard tuning. You could tune your G string down to an E but a lot of guitar tuners won't recognize it as an E very well because that string is meant to be a G. Happened to me all the time.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by axethrower13
Q:How many Pit monkeys does it take to tune a guitar?
A:God help us.

well, apparently tuning isn't the problem.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Oh, yeah I use a chromatic, I guess I didn't know that some are like that. well chromatic ftw
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.