hey guys. Ive been browsing guitars in the $8-900 range to buy as a graduation gift for myself around october/november. I came across the epiphone in the title. Comes with Gibson '57 classic pups, locking tuners, hardshell case and other goodies and im seeing them used in the $550 range. Opinions on this guitar for sound and reliability? Also, how differently do the assymetrical and the 60's neck play? Ive wanted a LP for a long time so im considering picking this up as well as an Ibanez RG at the same time. I play music like Chevelle and Breaking Benjamin, also stuff like Escape The Fate but i have my Schecter for that. Any opinions? Thanks!
It seems like a really good guitar for the price. I would go for it if i had the cash lying around. 57 classics are very versitile pickups but don't excel in any particular areas. They are very good for classic rock and blues and some metal styles. The assymetrical neck profile is supposedly a lot more comfortable to wrap your hand around, but i would definatly try before you buy. The 60's neck is standard on most Epiphones and Gibsons.

EDIT: Which RG are you willing to buy?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 27, 2011,
yeah, i had a faded V that had the 60s neck profile and i have no problem with it, just curious about the assymetrical neck. Im not playing anything super high gain so the pickups should work fine. Im looking at the RG470MH since it has an Edge Zero tremolo instead of the Edge III. Looking for a guitar with a locking tremolo to use on a few leads
I'd look up the reliability of the trem. If you could afford it, i would go for somthing like an S320 or anything else with a ZR trem just in case the Edge Zero is junk. Not many guitarists have guitars with Edge Zero's, so it's hard to say how good the system is. The ZR is excellent and you'd probably be alright if you had a guitar with such a system if it's set up properly.

The assymetrical neck is as Epiphone describes. The neck is thicker on the bass side and thinner on the treble side, so it matches the contours of your hand better. But definatly try before you buy if possible.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 27, 2011,
i have a tribute with a 60s neck and i find it to be the most comfortable epi/gibson neck.
the sound is really good but i've discovered that I hate humbuckers and want a true single-coil guitar like a tele. If you like the humbuckers sound then i recommend it.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
i love the humbucker sound. Im not much of a fan of single coils so i cant justify buying a Fender, and as for the trem, it prolly wont see a lot of use. I just have a couple songs written where i can see it being useful. Im not going Steve Vai on it haha
i love the humbucker sound. Im not much of a fan of single coils so i cant justify buying a Fender, and as for the trem, it prolly wont see a lot of use. I just have a couple songs written where i can see it being useful. Im not going Steve Vai on it haha
I heard that Epiphone Les Pauls have quality control problems; so if you buy one, I'd highly suggest you play it first and check your pick ups.
hmm i figured a higher end epi would be a little more consistent than a low end Gibson like the Studio. Unfortunately the nearest Epiphone carrier is like 4 hours away, and thats the Gibson store in Nashville haha