Do you have a question for another nationality/race/religion? Ask it here!

Page 1 of 9
Now, before we start, no flaming/abuse/trolling whatsoever. I had this idea when I was driving home on the dual carriageway and I was thinking, 'whats the difference between a highway and a freeway in the US?' and this thread idea came to mind.

I'm so there's questions you guys have always wanted to ask without sounding offensive and this is the environment to do so.

So I reiterate.

No trolling, abuse or flaming.

What is the difference between a highway and a freeway?
Quote by genghisgandhi
Where the black bitches at?

At the wallywallywallywallywallywallywallyworld.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Now, before we start, no flaming/abuse/trolling whatsoever. I had this idea when I was driving home on the dual carriageway and I was thinking, 'whats the difference between a highway and a freeway in the US?' and this thread idea came to mind.

I'm so there's questions you guys have always wanted to ask without sounding offensive and this is the environment to do so.

So I reiterate.

No trolling, abuse or flaming.

One is state, and the other is federal. Cant remember which is which.

DoomdEdit: Well, technically. People use them interchangeably.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Last edited by doomded at May 27, 2011,
how come when i finger a girl its sexual assault but when she kicks me in the sack its ok? this country has backwards laws
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
What are the policies on rape in another country? Because these U.S. laws prevent me from getting laid.
Quote by doomded

highway state/ freeway federal

In Canada it's provincial/federal

and for the most part freeways in canada are all in the 'hundred series' aka 417, 401 etc.

and highways are in the single/double digits. hwy 7, hwy 32 etc.
sigh...
Quote by Tanglewoodguit

How in the bloody blue buckass would this be an offensive question to anyone?!
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
This is a question for every country that has these.

Why on earth do those deathtraps known as roundabouts (especially multi-lane ones) exist? What's wrong with a stop sign?
Quote by Alex Vik

Why on earth do those deathtraps known as roundabouts (especially multi-lane ones) exist? What's wrong with a stop sign?

Acctually, studies show that roundabouts are acctually safer and less accidents are caused in roundabouts than there are in 4 way stops.

Thats an American answer.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Alex Vik

They do a job

The bigger ones are traffic managed and the others are reliant on the common sense of drivers.

Give way to the right and you'll be fine.
This is a really good idea for a thread...

To any Irish... Is there any truth at all to the stereotype of drunks?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by Vypor
Acctually, studies show that roundabouts are acctually safer and less accidents are caused in roundabouts than there are in 4 way stops.

Thats an American answer.

ಠ_ಠ

You're telling me this

is safer than this?

What if you end up in the wrong lane by accident?
^

If you get in the wrong lane you go around again, which enables you to move over, since everyone else is exiting the roundabout and clearing the lane for you to move into.

Quote by Alex Vik

They are much safer. I have seen accidents at American intersections, they would be high speed and side-impact. A crash on a roundabout is a second-gear slight nudge of the rear panel kind of affair, since the corners force you to slow down. Much safer. It also allows a better flow of traffic.

Plus you'd have to be pretty stupid not to get how they work...
I dont know anybody who uses the term freeway. We either say I-XX or 'the interstate.'
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Alex Vik

What? Roundabouts are the best thing since sliced bread, man...

You can drive in a a velocity like .5c through a intersection, but you gotta slow down in a roundabout or else you'll crash into whatever's in the middle.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at May 27, 2011,
Quote by Alex Vik
ಠ_ಠ

You're telling me this

is safer than this?

I really don't understand the question. . But the answer is yes. . That's what i'm telling you.
Quote by StewieSwan
I dont know anybody who uses the term freeway. We either say I-XX or 'the interstate.'

but aren't interstates always highways, not freeways?

I always thought freeways were always the ones within the cities.
Quote by Alex Vik
ಠ_ಠ

You're telling me this

is safer than this?

WUT

Watch the animation you posted. The traffic flows well, the speed is slow and there isn't a crash there. I think you answered your own question

They're really easy. Give way to the right and with lanes, if your destination is beyond '12 o clock' get in the right hand lane if not, left hand lane.

The bigger ones have arrows on the floor. So easy.
Last edited by Tanglewoodguit at May 27, 2011,
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
WUT

Watch the animation you posted. The traffic flows well, the speed is slow and there isn't a crash there. I think you answered your own question

Yeah plus I don't know any 3 lane roundabouts that don't have lights on anyway, so it's even slower and safer, and you can jiggle around at a red light if you find yourself in the wrong lane.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah plus I don't know any 3 lane roundabouts that don't have lights on anyway, so it's even slower and safer, and you can jiggle around at a red light if you find yourself in the wrong lane.

All i've seen are one-laners and you pretty much have to drive in one direction though it. 270's must be annoying. I'm not allowed to get a driver's license, so I don't know really...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Alex Vik
ಠ_ಠ

You're telling me this

is safer than this?

I've seen about a million accidents/close calls on intersections just from watching TV, never seen one from a round-a-bout.

And even if there was an accident at a round-a-bout, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as one at an intersection because cars can't pile into them.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^

If you get in the wrong lane you go around again, which enables you to move over, since everyone else is exiting the roundabout and clearing the lane for you to move into.

What if that's not an option and traffic is dense? For instance, say the multi lane roundabout had an outer lane that didn't go all the way around the circle, and you're stuck in the outer lane?

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
WUT

They're really easy. Give way to the right and with lanes, if your destination is beyond '12 o clock' get in the right hand lane if not, left hand lane.

The bigger ones have arrows on the floor. So easy.

Yeah, that's because the animation doesn't show people who accidentally got in the wrong lane. Plus it's an animation, it's not supposed to show errors.
Last edited by Alex Vik at May 27, 2011,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

There's a massive double 3 lane roundabout that's notorious about 10 minutes from me. People are always in the wrong lane
Go ahead and change the title to "Questions for people of another traffic system!"

And while I do think the roundabouts are a bit uselessly complicated, they do look fun to scream around in a low to the ground turbo car
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Last edited by Angus_Junior35 at May 27, 2011,
i want ot go to swindon just so i can drive the magic roundabout
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by doomded

DoomdEdit: Well, technically. People use them interchangeably.

Actually freeways have no tolls, a highway might. One has intersections and the other has off ramps.
Not sure which it is though.

My question.
Whats the stereotype for Californians?
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Alex Vik
What if that's not an option and traffic is dense? For instance, say the multi lane roundabout had an outer lane that didn't go all the way around the circle, and you're stuck in the outer lane?

You mean... what if the roundabout wasn't a roundabout? Of course the lane is going to go all the way around in a circle.

Roundabouts have 2 sets of lane markings. Solid and dotted. The solid is for marking lanes, the dotted is for guiding you to move over. Everybody moves over because otherwise they would cut you up. If you moved over to get off the roundabout and someone else slammed into you, that would be their fault because they should not have been in the outside lane at the point the markings tell you it is safe to move over.

To summarise, the outside lane is for exiting the roundabout. You don't need to worry about people being in it after an exit, because they will have left the roundabout, so you can move lanes into it and it will be clear. It's completely safe.
Quote by CoreysMonster
but aren't interstates always highways, not freeways?

I always thought freeways were always the ones within the cities.

Other way around. Freeways are Federal "Interstates" and highways are state managed.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by Alex Vik

Yeah, that's because the animation doesn't show people who accidentally got in the wrong lane. Plus it's an animation, it's not supposed to show errors.

Okay, lol this is an absolutely ridiculous question. Why are we imagining there is a third lane, that randomly ends halfway around the circle??

I don't think those exist, and if they did they wouldnt be called a roundabout. I'd call it like, a half-about or somthing. I don't know, im absolutely distraught over this question lol.
Quote by jmonko
Actually freeways have no tolls, a highway might. One has intersections and the other has off ramps.
Not sure which it is though.

My question.
Whats the stereotype for Californians?

Stoner surfers.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You mean... what if the roundabout wasn't a roundabout? Of course the lane is going to go all the way around in a circle.

Roundabouts have 2 sets of lane markings. Solid and dotted. The solid is for marking lanes, the dotted is for guiding you to move over. Everybody moves over because otherwise they would cut you up. If you moved over to get off the roundabout and someone else slammed into you, that would be their fault because they should not have been in the outside lane at the point the markings tell you it is safe to move over.

To summarise, the outside lane is for exiting the roundabout. You don't need to worry about people being in it after an exit, because they will have left the roundabout, so you can move lanes into it and it will be clear. It's completely safe.

I mean if it's a normal single lane roundabout with an outer lane that doesn't follow through in a circle all the way.

Wait, that lane is for leaving the circle? That's the whole purpose? Why not just make it a normal single lane roundabout then? Those aren't overly complicated.

Quote by Vypor
Okay, lol this is an absolutely ridiculous question. Why are we imagining there is a third lane, that randomly ends halfway around the circle??

I don't think those exist, and if they did they wouldnt be called a roundabout. I'd call it like, a half-about or somthing. I don't know, im absolutely distraught over this question lol.

I didn't say third lane, I said second lane. And we're not imagining, I know of at least one that exists.
Last edited by Alex Vik at May 27, 2011,
To the discussion about roundabouts, the one around the Siegessäule in Berlin pisses me off:

It once took me fifteen minutes to get from one side to the other while walking because the lights take forever and the drivers there do crazy turns all the time.