Since I've moved to a small place and I'm not playing in a band right now, I'm thinking of selling my Orange Rocker 30 to buy another, smaller amp. There is a guy who wants to buy my Orange for $1500...Which amp would be the best option for me?

I'm looking for lower wattage amp for Blues and Classic Rock. I was already thinking of selling my Orange because it's not the best amp to play Blues (although I love it for Classic Rock and Stoner).

I made a thread a couple of weeks ago about buying a Fargen Miniplex but I don't have enough money so I was thinking about a Ceriatone JTM45 or Plexi Clone with a powerscale and a master volume mod. I was also thinking about a Matamp Minimat 2 or buying an Orange AD30...how are those compared to the R30?

Any ideas? Thoughts? Keep in mind I live in Peru so I can't try any of the amps.
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at May 28, 2011,
i recently bought a laney lionheart l5t after a long period of testing. its 5 watts (so it maybe not loud enough for your purpuse but cabinets are always an option) and its great especially for blues und classic rock. 2 channels, built in spring reverb, parallel fx loop. i think its quite pricey for a 5 watt amp, but imho its the best in its class. i tested almost every 5 watt against it. i live 15 minutes to Europe's biggest music store, so its always easy testing gear.

anyway i'm getting off topic. bottom line if you are looking for an low wattage amp (and not just a smaller sized amp) this one might be it. it can't do the Br00tz, but then, who cares if it sounds that good for everything else?
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Quote by grapist
i recently bought a laney lionheart l5t after a long period of testing. its 5 watts (so it maybe not loud enough for your purpuse but cabinets are always an option) and its great especially for blues und classic rock. 2 channels, built in spring reverb, parallel fx loop. i think its quite pricey for a 5 watt amp, but imho its the best in its class. i tested almost every 5 watt against it. i live 15 minutes to Europe's biggest music store, so its always easy testing gear.

anyway i'm getting off topic. bottom line if you are looking for an low wattage amp (and not just a smaller sized amp) this one might be it. it can't do the Br00tz, but then, who cares if it sounds that good for everything else?

Thanks, I'm gonna check out some videos on youtube.

I have a Marshall 1960A Cab so it'll play through that. Is it loud enough to play over a drummer?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by Chad11491
I think you'd be better off buying an attenuator if you like your amp.

I've played it through a friend's "ultimate attenuator" and I didn't liked the sound, it made the tone kinda thin...plus, I don't have money to get an attenuator
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
Since I've moved to a small place and I'm playing in a band right now, I'm thinking of selling my Orange Rocker 30 to buy another, smaller amp. There is a guy who wants to buy my Orange for $1500...Which amp would be the best option for me?

I'm looking for lower wattage amp for Blues and Classic Rock. I was already thinking of selling my Orange because it's the best amp to play Blues (although I love it for Classic Rock and Stoner).

i'm not quite following you. do you think your orange isn't good at classic rock and stoner? you say it's the best amp for blues. it's quite good at classic rock and stoner too imo.

i get wanting a lower watt amp but you gig? and a 30 is like a perfect gig wattage. or are you playing small places with a drummer using brushes lol.

maybe you made a typo in your OP? i'm not trying to be a smart ass seriously if it comes across that way somehow.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm not quite following you. do you think your orange isn't good at classic rock and stoner? you say it's the best amp for blues. it's quite good at classic rock and stoner too imo.

i get wanting a lower watt amp but you gig? and a 30 is like a perfect gig wattage. or are you playing small places with a drummer using brushes lol.

maybe you made a typo in your OP? i'm not trying to be a smart ass seriously if it comes across that way somehow.

Sorry for my bad writing (forgot to put the "not"s)

-I've moved to a smaller place and Im NOT playing in a band right now but I jam with friends so I'm looking for something low wattage but that can still play with a drummer

-I used to play Classic Rock, Hard Rock and Stoner and that's why I loved my Orange

-Now I mostly play Blues and Classic Rock so I want to change amp

Conclusion: I want to change my amp because I need a lower wattage and lower gain amp
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at May 28, 2011,
OK I thought that may have been the case.

The fargan mini plex may work, also the matamp minimat, but these wont have "clean cleans" when you jam with friends. If that's a concern.

I'm currently waiting for a CEC Amps Toll-Free Express. 10 Watt, hand wired el34 head. Its within budget but clips are sparce. There is a clip on the cecamps.com page for it. I can't say on the headroom having not played it yet.

Also a good tmb 18 watt clone with a master volume would work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e_4NVoZp1U

should get you an idea. it is loud enough to play over a drummer, though it might not have enough headroom to stay perfectly clean (if it is a loud drummer). i really like the sound. every guitar i tested through it sounded good, even though vintage style pick ups sound especially well.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Quote by grapist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e_4NVoZp1U

should get you an idea. it is loud enough to play over a drummer, though it might not have enough headroom to stay perfectly clean (if it is a loud drummer). i really like the sound. every guitar i tested through it sounded good, even though vintage style pick ups sound especially well.

I really like that tone but would 5W be enough to play with a drummer?
-Homer Simpson
A 5W amp will just keep up with a drummer as long as he doesn't play too hard and you never want any cleans.
Good blues amps don't have a Master Volume as a rule so if you want distortion when just playing with yourself you use an overdrive pedal.
This is what you want; it even has power scaling so you may even get away without the OD pedal. It is based on one of the all time great blues amps, the 18 watt Marshall.
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 28, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
A 5W amp will just keep up with a drummer as long as he doesn't play too hard and you never want any cleans.
Good blues amps don't have a Master Volume as a rule so if you want distortion when just playing with yourself you use an overdrive pedal.
This is what you want; it even has power scaling so you may even get away without the OD pedal. It is based on one of the all time great blues amps, the 18 watt Marshall.
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm

That's a really interesting amp and I like the tone on the video but there aren't more sound samples :/...how well does it clean up with the volume knob?
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Jun 9, 2011,
How good is the tone of a Egnater Rebel 20 compared to Orange, Matamp, etc (dark and round sounding amps)?

I've heard that amp is really versatile but I don't know if it would be a step forward on my tone
-Homer Simpson
i would think a rebel 20 or tweaker would work well. both are kinda dark generally until you crank them up a bit.

also a matamp little rock, would have to be used. or a matamp mini mat would work. i guess you would have to ebay to get those though down there.

can you try the egnaters?
i would highly recommend a 18 watt clone. i built mine, and absolutely love it. killer for blues, mine has a master volume on it as well (i don't think all of them did), so you can get some pretty sweet tones out of it. i liked the regular version over the TMB, but if you want more flexible go TMB. you can't beat it for blues.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gregs1020
i would think a rebel 20 or tweaker would work well. both are kinda dark generally until you crank them up a bit.

also a matamp little rock, would have to be used. or a matamp mini mat would work. i guess you would have to ebay to get those though down there.

can you try the egnaters?

Yea, out of the amps I've been looking at the egnater would be the only one that I could try (there is a store here in Lima which started to sell Egnaters last month but I haven't had time to go and try them)
-Homer Simpson
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would highly recommend a 18 watt clone. i built mine, and absolutely love it. killer for blues, mine has a master volume on it as well (i don't think all of them did), so you can get some pretty sweet tones out of it. i liked the regular version over the TMB, but if you want more flexible go TMB. you can't beat it for blues.

I've been looking at the Ceriatone 18W Clones and they look pretty good but I would have to buy the complete amp (don't have any experience building amps).
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
I've been looking at the Ceriatone 18W Clones and they look pretty good but I would have to buy the complete amp (don't have any experience building amps).

i recently picked up a used ceriatone 18 watt clone. i haven't added the master yet. great amp that loves pedals.

not much less loud than a rocker 30, but maybe a bit more manageable.

actually, that may work well for you. good call thrashed.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 9, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
i recently picked up a used ceriatone 18 watt clone. i haven't added the master yet. great amp that loves pedals.

not much less loud than a rocker 30, but maybe a bit more manageable.

actually, that may work well for you. good call thrashed.

Yea, I was thinking of the 18W with a powerscale mod so it would be more manageable. I've also been looking at the Ceriatone 20W Lead and Bass which from the videos on youtube sounds really nice.
-Homer Simpson