Page 1 of 2
http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/senate-committee-oks-protect-ip-act/
The Senate Judiciary Committee has approved the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act (PROTECT IP Act), sending the legislation to the floor for a full vote. The unanimous bipartisan action today drew swift praise from the Hollywood creative community, which has lobbied for the bill, which would target foreign-based websites that are pirating American content for profit and close loopholes that shield them from U.S. laws. The Independent Film & Television Alliance, the National Association of Theatre Owners and the MPAA released statements in support of the vote, as did a group comprised of the American Federation of Musicians, AFTRA, the DGA, IATSE, SAG and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT). "The Judiciary Committee took an important step today to stop theft and save jobs," said Michael O’Leary, the MPAA's EVP Government Affairs. "By helping shut down rogue websites that profit from stolen films, television shows, and other counterfeit goods, this legislation will protect wages and benefits for the millions of middle class workers who bring America’s creativity to life." Said the unions' joint statement: "Let us be very clear: online theft is stealing. It results in thousands of lost jobs and millions of dollars in lost wages for our members. ... Today’s passage of the PROTECT IP Act is a significant step toward ending the ‘looting’ of the creative and artistic entertainment works that constitute our members’ hard work, and are an invaluable part of our collective cultural heritage."

Frankly, it's bullshit. The bill allows the government to take down sites if they "enable or facilitate" copyright infringement; there doesn't even need to be evidence of the site actually infringing on the copyright. AKA, internet censorship.

The whole bill is available here.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I still don't understand how the US government can vote on letting the US government shut down sites in other countries.

EDIT: OR, are they just going to make it so the sites can't be accessed in the US, not actually shut them down? I guess that would make more sense.. It still sounds like bullshit to me.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at May 27, 2011,
What the actual ****.

And to think that within 10 years I'll be a part of that ****ed up system.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I still don't understand how the US government can vote on letting the US government shut down sites in other countries.

EDIT: OR, are they just going to make it so the sites can't be accessed in the US, not actually shut them down? I guess that would make more sense.. It still sounds like bullshit to me.

Murika owns the interweb
Also, when I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be an act to protect the identity of web-users: i.e. not handing over their IP addresses to the MPAA, RIAA, etc. Could I have been more wrong?

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Well, apparently it was the Senate Judiciary Committee that passed it. It got blocked before it could be voted on though, which is good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Waaaaah! I can't get movies and music for free and sell it now, herpa derp!
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321

If this is sarcasm I dont think you fully understand the situation. If passed it would allow them to fully dictate which sites are legal for us to view. The beginnings of internet censorship. That is not a good thing.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by GibsonMan321

That's not what the bill is actually about. It blocks sites for the suspicion of copyright infringement, ie, the US government could block any site they damn well pleased.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
It's a good thing thepiratebay is from Sweden.

EDIT: Bah, foiled.
Last edited by guitaristren at May 27, 2011,
Quote by guitaristren
It's a good thing thepiratebay is from Sweden.

Read the bill. They could shut it down.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

This is a war that the US government can't win, so they better not try.

The internet is a public domain. The best public domain. Its a place where people are 1000x more malevolent than they are IRL. **** with the internet and people will **** back. That's what a veil of anonymity does. Those ancient cuntbags in Legislature wouldn't know, they probably remember when the telephone was invented.
Quote by Seref
This is a war that the US government can't win, so they better not try.

The internet is a public domain. The best public domain. Its a place where people are 1000x more malevolent than they are IRL. **** with the internet and people will **** back. That's what a veil of anonymity does. Those ancient cuntbags in Legislature wouldn't know, they probably remember when the telephone was invented.

I actually read something that the method they're trying to implement would do nothing and would make the net inherently less safe.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Yeah don't worry guys. Anonymous will bend Congress over.
love is love // return to dust
Man the botnet; there shall be a DDoS the likes of which the world has never seen!

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Bullshit of the highest order.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
This is the work of...THE PATRIOTS!
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
As I said before, it just looks like they're preventing the dns servers from resolving the site name to the IP address, which can and will easily be worked around.

All I can say is start keeping track of IP addresses that you fear are in danger of disappearing. You don't need the DNS servers to access a site, those are just there for the average human's memory. All you need is http://*IP address,* and you've got the site.

Anon probably already knows this, and the reaction shouldn't be as violent as expected.
Quote by SlayingDragons
As I said before, it just looks like they're preventing the dns servers from resolving the site name to the IP address, which can and will easily be worked around.

All I can say is start keeping track of IP addresses that you fear are in danger of disappearing. You don't need the DNS servers to access a site, those are just there for the average human's memory. All you need is http://*IP address,* and you've got the site.

Anon probably already knows this, and the reaction shouldn't be as violent as expected.

I've never bothered to look into doing so, but how do I check a site's IP?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193

It's crazy easy, actually. I'm personally really lazy, and just use the terminal to ping the site once through the dns name, which displays the server's IP on return ping. (Pong?)

On linux/mac, it would be

ping -c 1 www.*site*.*wut*

And on windows it would be the same thing, except instead of "-c" it would be "-n." (For no particular reason, either, -n makes no sense. >_>

For www.ultimate-guitar.com, this would return:

lucas@ubuntu:~$ ping -c 1 www.ultimate-guitar.com
PING www.ultimate-guitar.com ([B]85.17.164.150[/B]) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from www.ultimate-guitar.com ([B]85.17.164.150[/B]): icmp_req=1 ttl=50 time=97.4 ms

--- www.ultimate-guitar.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 97.499/97.499/97.499/0.000 ms

Bolded is the IP. Granted, you're using the DNS servers to look them up, so once the sites are removed, this doesn't work.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at May 27, 2011,
Quote by necrosis1193

Several ways. Easiest way is to go to your Command Prompt and type

ping www.google.com

It'll ping a packet to the website and you'll see its IP address.

On Windows you don't need any of those -n/-c/-t conditionals unless you're doing something specific like setting a length of time or the size of the packet.
Last edited by Seref at May 27, 2011,
An easy way to do it is to use a ping command in a shell. For example in Windows, go to....

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Then, type

ping *website name*

For example...

It should look something like that. The numbers 85.17.164.150 is UG's IP address, and you can do the same thing for any website.

EDIT: Ninja'd, but I got a picture
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Seref
Several ways. Easiest way is to go to your Command Prompt and type

ping www.google.com

It'll ping a packet to the website and you'll see its IP address.

On Windows you don't need any of those -n/-c/-t conditionals unless you're doing something specific like setting a length of time or the size of the packet.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, Windows just pings it 4 times unless otherwise specified. Linux/mac will do it forever until either ctrl+c, or if a number is specified.
On topic though, this is horse shit. The internet is arguably the greatest creation of man, and this bill would effectively neuter it. I'm really hoping this gets shot down in congress, or it gets vetoed.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
This is the work of...THE PATRIOTS!

The La-li-lu-le-lo?!?!
Quote by jibran
The La-li-lu-le-lo?!?!

We must not speak more of them here. They have infiltrated the internet already
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
So does this mean that if the government thinks all the tabs on this site are copyright infringement, they could block UG from America? If so thats messed up.
Downside: No more TPB
Upside: No more 4chan.

Downside: You can still access them via IP
Upside: The idiots won't be able to.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by Vince Sixx
Downside: No more TPB
Upside: No more 4chan.

Downside: You can still access them via IP
Upside: The idiots won't be able to.

Or, get VPN and be happi?
Now that this has passed, who knows what else can be passed, this is just the green light to pass more internet censorship laws.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
TS, did you also get an e-mail from DemandProgress.org?

yep. But having read through the bill, I'd say it is a rather nasty piece of legislature.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Page 1 of 2