First time posting here and I just wanted to get some opinions on which of these cheapo guitars is better: Epiphone special or the Dean Vendetta XM?

Interested in playing Doom/Stoner/Sludge type stuff. I understand that I will need to replace the strings with a heavier gauge and adjust the rod to support them. I also understand that it takes a little more than the guitar alone to produce the doom/Sludge sound (Amp,Pedal,etc.). Just trying to get a little feedback from anyone experienced with these before dropping cash on one. Any other recommendations around the $100 mark are definitely welcomed.

Thanks in advance. :
Last edited by Living-Monolith at May 27, 2011,
pick up the dean used if you arent willing to save up any more. its a decent enough guitar to learn on once you get a proper set up on it. much better than the specials. The pickups are crap but those could be changed when you progress farther
Quote by shecter guy
pick up the dean used if you arent willing to save up any more. its a decent enough guitar to learn on once you get a proper set up on it. much better than the specials. The pickups are crap but those could be changed when you progress farther

Thanks for the reply. I am a beginner, so I don't want to drop $200-$300 on something I may lose interest in. I would rather get something cheap that would be worth putting a little more money into later on. I have been researching this and based on what I've read, I agree. I've noticed that some experienced guitarists are picking the Vendetta's up for cheap project guitars which leads me to believe that it would definitely be worth upgrading down the road. The Vendetta's are actually kinda hard to find used, and the few you can find aren't much cheaper than they are new, which I consider to be a good sign considering people are hocking and Ebaying their Specials left and right.

Thanks for the reassurance. Much appreciated.
make sure you get the hard tail version and not the tremilo one. And yes the cheap deans are great for modding, I have an EVO XM that is a nice sounding and playing guitar now and I only put @$130 in it and swaped out everything but the body/neck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
make sure you get the hard tail version and not the tremilo one. And yes the cheap deans are great for modding, I have an EVO XM that is a nice sounding and playing guitar now and I only put @$130 in it and swaped out everything but the body/neck.

The XM just has a Tune o matic. It's just a cheapy starter. The Vendetta's with hardtails are about a $100-$200 difference used.
eh. depends where you live. i can pick up the vendetta used off craigslist for between $60 to $80 all day long here, if not cheaper off craigslist. but definitely worth modding
Quote by shecter guy
eh. depends where you live. i can pick up the vendetta used off craigslist for between $60 to $80 all day long here, if not cheaper off craigslist. but definitely worth modding

I live in New Mexico, the cities are very far away from each other and the population is low, so the Craigslist pickin's are slim. You can find em on Amazon right now for $96 w/ free shipping though (only the wood finish one, but I think it looks nice). That price really can't be beat for a new guitar, but I still just needed to be sure before dropping a bill on something that turns out to be a heap. $100 is cheap for a guitar, but still a lot of money for me.

I'm just gonna go for it. I think it's the right choice. Thanks for the guidance. It's much appreciated.
Last edited by Living-Monolith at May 28, 2011,
ah. Ok then. Understandable. Yeah, its about the best you're gonna get for $100. I think you are going to be very happy with it. Just be sure to get it properly set up and intonated