Page 1 of 14
The Pit's Mixing/Mastering Competition I

Alright, so I talked to a few people in the Recording forum about this and there seemed to be enough interest to go ahead with it. This should give everyone involved a good opportunity to get some feedback on their mixing & mastering skills and learn things from everyone involved. Though I am open to suggestions, these are the tentative rules for now.

At this point, signups & submissions are CLOSED.

Stems are HERE:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9pwgsks303p2xfg
http://www.mediafire.com/?p1eph3wpbg641fi

Edit:

Everyone give a big thank you to odirunn, as he provided me with these, and they are high quality, all DI. Have at it! You have until June 17th at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5) to PM your mix to me with a short description of what you did.

VOTING THREADS ARE HERE!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454216
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454219
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454222

Rules

-At least for this competition, all tracks provided will have no effects added to them, most likely just going straight through an interface. The same tracks for a 3 minute-ish song will be provided to everyone, and they will be in .WAV format.

-No theme will be given for the first competition, meaning that you can do as you please with these tracks. You do NOT have to aim for a certain sound, the idea is to create as professional a song from the generic tracks given to you as you can. If you want to create a bluesy song, go right ahead, but if you prefer metal, then that's fine too.

-At least for the first round, you can NOT add any additional tracks of your own. You do NOT have to use every track given to you though, and you are free to duplicate them as you please.

-Amp sims, any VSTs, etc are permitted for now.

-It is not yet decided whether the drums used will be real or programmed, as there may be difficulty in finding someone to provide a recording of high enough quality. Vocals are also a question mark at this point, though they will hopefully be provided as well.

-When you submit your track, I ask that you PM me a brief overview of how you got the sound of each track to sound as it did (what ampsims, effects, etc that you used). These will be posted in the voting threads.

-Because of the rather large group of participants so far, judging will be broken up into several threads, with the links to several participant's mixes and their overview of their mix underneath it. The winners of each thread will then be placed in a "finals" thread to determine the winner.

-I'm still very open to suggestions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Participants/Musicians

Musicians:

EDIT: Of course, we did not write the song this time around, but next time, I will probably plan this better and have an original ready to go.

-I need volunteers to help write/record the song. I'm willing to sample drums if it comes to it, but I don't want to have to come up with every track myself. Please post here and/or PM me if you're interested in doing so. If someone already has a song completed that has no effects added and needs to be mixed/mastered, we might be able to use that and let you have multiple mixes to choose from. More information will be revealed as I figure out what will be happening with the song.

-You are allowed to help write the song as well as participate for this competition, though that may not continue if genres are introduced in later competitions.

Guitar -
Bass -
Drums -
Vocals -
Keys(?) -
Strings(?) -

Participants:

CrossBack7
NothingRocks
vmanoman
truiteleague
whalepudding
Das_Skittles
Alex Vik
RPGoof
ikitson
.jamison
AvengedFoghat
TheReverend724
aCloudConnected
Hriday_Hazarika
Metallica1554
Holy Katana
Golrish668
FireHawk
Jowls
Smithmx670
charvel_man
blues_to_thrash
perry589
So-cal
ChemicalFire
SlayingDragons
FrustratedRocka
BobMarleysGhost
ctfod
maVN
BladeSlinger
Metallicuh
EMGPWNS
TheChaz
Ignite
slapp62
kcorkcar
maggot9779
JackOSF
tommo619
Odirunn
Karlboy
Dealer16
SquierLolz
lextexrex
lockwolf
hugh20
Rhys Jackson
Ankou
Sandyman323
Sonny_sam
FlyingPirahna
SteveHouse
Last edited by CrossBack7 at Jun 22, 2011,
Count me in. This sounds like a good time.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
I'll do this. I'm fairly rubbish at this, but am trying to improve.

Will the guitars be dry tracks, or already recorded through an amp?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I'm going to say dry at this point in time, though that may be subject to change if enough people request it. I just think keeping it dry let's people do whatever they want with it, but running it through an amp already kind of decreases the options you have with it.
I'm definitely up for this. What genre?

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
I'm definitely up for this. What genre?

No specific genre. It will probably be a relatively generic song, so you're free to do with it as you please. If this is fairly successful, I might add a general genre to later competitions.
I would. But I'd feel irresponsible. I'm a much better (IMHO) engineer than musician, and I still don't have my original song for May finished yet Plus my software is kinda....shit.
If this takes off, and happens again when I'm better prepped I'd be in for sure.
For now, I'll lurk and see what happens/
Quote by CrossBack7
No specific genre. It will probably be a relatively generic song, so you're free to do with it as you please. If this is fairly successful, I might add a general genre to later competitions.

I'm just think about what I have plug ins for. Pretty much everything I use is tailored for modern metal; high gain sims, impulses from a Mesa 4x12, etc.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Well hey, maybe it'd give you the drive to finish that original. And I think I'm starting to become a better engineer than musician too. Kinda sad, but kinda cool at the same time, as I never made money by playing guitar, but I'm starting to by recording and mastering for people.
Quote by Das_Skittles
I'm just think about what I have plug ins for. Pretty much everything I use is tailored for modern metal; high gain sims, impulses from a Mesa 4x12, etc.

Acmebargig's plugins are fantastic for cleans, overdrives and non-metal type sounds. Although they can be erratic and confusing to use.
Last edited by whalepudding at May 27, 2011,
Quote by Das_Skittles

Then take that route to it. Actually, this almost tempts me to change the rules and pick a genre, but I'm going to wait and see what others say.

Edit: ^^^That is all too true as well. Acmebargig Dickhead Pre-Amp yielded one of my favorite clean tones for me.
Last edited by CrossBack7 at May 27, 2011,
Quote by whalepudding
Acmebargig's plugins are fantastic for cleans, overdrives and non-metal type sounds. Although they can be erratic and confusing to use.

I tried the Shred Suite, and I have all of their free sims, but the frustration isn't worth the sound I've gotten out of them. I use POD Farm for Cleans, and TSE stuff with the Catharsis Studio impulse for everything else. I'm currently addicted to the X50 beta.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Errr, not totally sure what you mean by that. You don't have to use all of a track, if that's what you mean. Or you could add so much reverb and crap to it that it's just a sort of ambient type thing going on. I'm trying to keep most options open, I just want the song structure to more or less stay the same between each so that feedback/judging is a simpler process.
Quote by CrossBack7
Errr, not totally sure what you mean by that. You don't have to use all of a track, if that's what you mean. Or you could add so much reverb and crap to it that it's just a sort of ambient type thing going on. I'm trying to keep most options open, I just want the song structure to more or less stay the same between each so that feedback/judging is a simpler process.

The structure will remain the same. I mean taking a part of an existing track and sampling it. Process it and use it for an effect.
Quote by Das_Skittles
I tried the Shred Suite, and I have all of their free sims, but the frustration isn't worth the sound I've gotten out of them. I use POD Farm for Cleans, and TSE stuff with the Catharsis Studio impulse for everything else. I'm currently addicted to the X50 beta.

The Shred suite is bums, but their other free stuff is great. The Knucklehead and Dick head are what I normally use for distortion, the Meat Head has a great overdrive, and the Series 60 has some great lead tones and cleans hiding behind the horrid fizzy distortion. They just seem to have more character, resonance and full-ness than other amp sims. And the distorted tones sit quite happily in the midrange, rather than taking up a ridiculous amount of room in the mix.

Still, having said that, I might mix something with them and have it sound like absolute shit, so we'll wait and see whether what I just said has any validity.
Last edited by whalepudding at May 27, 2011,
Quote by NothingRocks
The structure will remain the same. I mean taking a part of an existing track and sampling it. Process it and use it for an effect.

That's perfectly fine.

Also, is the X50 Beta that impressive? I haven't tried it, but it sounds damn impressive.

Edit: Also, I'd like to start this within a few weeks, but it really just depends how quickly we can come up with a decent song or if someone volunteers one.
Quote by whalepudding
The Shred suite is bums, but their other free stuff is great. The Knucklehead and Dick head are what I normally use for distortion, the Meat Head has a great overdrive, and the Series 60 has some great lead tones and cleans hiding behind the horrid fizzy distortion. They just seem to have more character, resonance and full-ness than other amp sims. And the distorted tones sit quite happily in the midrange, rather than taking up a ridiculous amount of room in the mix.

Still, having said that, I might mix something with them and have it sound like absolute shit, so we'll wait and see whether what I just said has any validity.

I have all of it, but I tried Shred first, and was just really disappointed. I'm re-amping some stuff this weekend, so I'll take a look at the other stuff.

Quote by CrossBack7

Also, is the X50 Beta that impressive? I haven't tried it, but it sounds damn impressive.

It eats up CPU like no other, and it pops and crackles if you try to use it in realtime. But tweak it a bit and render. OMGTOAN. It sounds more like the 5150 but better. I don't have any decent clips atm, but it basically is just like "omgz so fucking BR00T@L!!1!"

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

I also use Le456 for cleans sometimes. I think good clean tones are much harder to come across than good high-gain amp sims. The LePou series is definitely one of my favorites, as well as the Nick Crowe amp sims. I just use LeCab for my impulses, as I don't see any real difference in any others. I usually use EL34 impulses for cleans and some random 57 ones for distorted ones.

And dang, well, I might have to try that out tonight, haha. I don't suppose it's worth a crap yet for cleans?
Quote by CrossBack7

And dang, well, I might have to try that out tonight, haha. I don't suppose it's worth a crap yet for cleans?

I'd rather use a DI with some reverb than the cleans from the X50

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles
I'd rather use a DI with some reverb than the cleans from the X50

Haha, alright. I do not care for my stock pups on my Epi LP Custom for cleans, which probably doesn't help. I'm trying to find some good, versatile single coils for my strat knockoff. I kind of want to putt Jazzmaster pups in it, but I still have to check if it's routed enough for them (which I don't think it is). But anyone have any suggestions for some very smooth single coils? I don't like too bright of a sound, but I don't want it to be muddy or anything either.
Quote by CrossBack7
Haha, alright. I do not care for my stock pups on my Epi LP Custom for cleans, which probably doesn't help. I'm trying to find some good, versatile single coils for my strat knockoff. I kind of want to putt Jazzmaster pups in it, but I still have to check if it's routed enough for them (which I don't think it is). But anyone have any suggestions for some very smooth single coils? I don't like too bright of a sound, but I don't want it to be muddy or anything either.

I use a Fender '57/'62 in my Strat. They're not painfully bright like a lot of single coils I've tried, and they're tight enough to play high gain stuff in C# Standard without getting muddy on the low notes.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

I can track drums/have a studio drummer at my disposal. Let me know! I have pro tools 9 and s motu interface.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
This sounds really fun! I'll be checking back to see when I'll be able to get the stems and then I'll get to work. ^.^
Quote by MaVN
I can track drums/have a studio drummer at my disposal. Let me know! I have pro tools 9 and s motu interface.

I'm so tired of programmed drums.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Just pm me when you guys are ready!
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
I'm game for this, sign me up as a participant.
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead